So How Was the Localization For This Game?

perhaps I read to much swords and sorcery since I knew what "halidom" meant

I think it means a religious stronghold

-

I looked it up

old elnglish

hali-holy

dom-sanctuary

so a sacred place... I was close-

As for Miriel, there are actual real life syndromes that cause you to speak like that and makes you a bit daft with social interaction.

As well as there are people born without any empathy at all, if you scan your their brains there is less activity in the empathy part of the brain. Sad, but true.

Edited by sifer

As well as there are people born without any empathy at all, if you scan your their brains there is less activity in the empathy part of the brain. Sad, but true.

Well, my issue isn't whether or not that was realistic. My issue was that it was, in my opinion, not a good change from the original version.

The problem for me in regards to the English version is that Henry comes off as basically not human. He's a psychopath who is seemingly without emotions. Combine that with how he does things like licking his own blood, and well...the guy's dialogue can be just plain unpleasant to read when he's not making humorous puns ("Usually I just disarm them by removing their arms!"). With the Japanese version, it seems to me like he still has some of that, but he has other qualities that actually make him human as well, therefore making him more interesting, and, in my opinion, more pleasant to read...

I mean, hey, if the localization team wants to talk about how battlefields would become "boringfields" without any violence, go right ahead! That was funny! But...I don't think you need to go as far as to change his personality, especially if he was actually sympathetic before, you know?

Actually, Henry explains why hes the way he is in a couple of supports. Most notably in Panne's. He discusses how he really lead his life away from humanity as a whole and part of his time with the Shepherds is rediscovering what it means to be human. Panne likens him to a wild animal. I still find Henry remarkably sympathetic (perhaps much more so than Tharja) because he actually does give a shit in his own weird way. Henry has his own morality spectrum. I like that.

You know, I actually prefer the localized version of Henry over the Japanese one. Far too many 'sociopathic' characters these days get turned into Stepford Smilers. It's way too overdone. Why not have a character who genuinely enjoys stuff like blood and death on the good guys side?

Me too. I think the Stepford Smiler trope gets enough attention with the likes of Inigo, Owain, and Cynthia anyway. Henry's morbid inclinations made me warm up to him all the faster. Its hilarious to me. /shrug

Miriel though...

Yeah, that's definitely way too much. You don't need to have a character spam obscure words to make them sound smart.

Erhh..Am...i the only one who had little to no trouble figuring out what Miriel had to say? I like the way she speaks. Its cool to me. Those are perfectly cromulent words!

From the little I know about the Japanese version (basically what Rey posts), I think I like the Japanese version a little better, because of some things, like for example, in the Shepherds scene before Chapter 2, Sumia mentions not having a pegasus, which means she was also a recruit in the Pegasus Knights, so her handling of a pegasus in Chapter 3 is a lot more understandable. Unlike the English version, in which it looks like Sumia befriends a pegasus and suddenly becomes able to do risky aerial maneuvers to save a comrade.

Still, I love the text, I love the characterization in the English version, I just wish Chrom spoke "damn" instead of "gods". I hate NoA's censorship.

Miriel though...

Yeah, that's definitely way too much. You don't need to have a character spam obscure words to make them sound smart.

Ugh yeah, Miriel's character really annoys me. She really just sounds like one of those people who use big words just for the sake of sounding smart.... I can hardly stand her supports. At least Laurent was a bit better.

And about Henry, his English version just comes off more as "I don't care, blood lol" rather than "I like blood because sad childhood". But I do like how characters subtly warm up to him, I guess. I still do think his little blood thing shouldn't have gone that far as to be included in everything he says.

Edited by RightfulGod

Still, I love the text, I love the characterization in the English version, I just wish Chrom spoke "damn" instead of "gods". I hate NoA's censorship.

It's not censorship since other characters say 'damn'. It's more a case of characterization.

The point about stylistic choice and the font example is certainly interesting, and often seen in other media, such as comic books. ex. In addition to shakespeare talk, Thor (and the rest of the Asgardian gods) gets a special font for their speech, and Tony Stark has a differently stylised speech bubble when inside his suit.

I personally didn't have much trouble with Miriel (since I can figure out a bunch of them by context and the flow of conversation and knowing Latin helps a bit) nor am I bothered by her speech patterns. I thought it was intentional for her to be a bit difficult to understand by the other characters, and it reminds me of academia where the jargon gets overwhelming at times (see all my complaints about every college-level math textbook I've had; I'm a fucking math major not an English major I don't have time to parse fancy words) which suits her character, IMO.

I personally didn't have much trouble with Miriel (since I can figure out a bunch of them by context and the flow of conversation and knowing Latin helps a bit) nor am I bothered by her speech patterns.

You're a dude who can figure out the meaning of words largely from context. That's cool.

I'm a dude who found out last week that I'm the only person in my high school english class who knows what "peril" means. Yeah. Moral: don't overestimate the west.

The point about stylistic choice and the font example is certainly interesting, and often seen in other media, such as comic books. ex. In addition to shakespeare talk, Thor (and the rest of the Asgardian gods) gets a special font for their speech, and Tony Stark has a differently stylised speech bubble when inside his suit.

I personally didn't have much trouble with Miriel (since I can figure out a bunch of them by context and the flow of conversation and knowing Latin helps a bit) nor am I bothered by her speech patterns. I thought it was intentional for her to be a bit difficult to understand by the other characters, and it reminds me of academia where the jargon gets overwhelming at times (see all my complaints about every college-level math textbook I've had; I'm a fucking math major not an English major I don't have time to parse fancy words) which suits her character, IMO.

I think it fits her character - she's using language that's comfortable for her (and her mindset), to the detriment of everyone else, possibly including the reader. Likewise, the sense I get is that she starts off wrapped in her own world, unconcerned about what others feel.

English is like my third language. I wouldn't say I had trouble understanding her. I could sort of get what she was saying judging from the response and stuff.

I could understand Laurent much better through. Maybe it's because he can behave like a normal person.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

English is like my third language. I wouldn't say I had trouble understanding her. I could sort of get what she was saying judging from the response and stuff.

At that point though, I would imagine your word comprehension would just be better in general. It's one thing to master one language, but three? That's got to involve some areas of the brain most Americans don't use as often as other cultures!

At that point though, I would imagine your word comprehension would just be better in general. It's one thing to master one language, but three? That's got to involve some areas of the brain most Americans don't use as often as other cultures!

It's more a case of growing up in a country with a buttload of languages. Pretty much everyone here can speak 3 languages: their regional language (Marathi, in my case), Hindi (because national language and all that) and English.

I wouldn't say I've mastered 3 languages though. That level of praise is too much lol.