When did you first get into RPG's?

Elli

When I first played Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga in the first grade.

Holy fuck, it was amazing. It's still my favorite handheld game to this day.

Omg, this.

I played this, along with LeafGreen, in third grade.

That's when I first started playing RPGs.

I didn't play much until post-Fire Emblem, though.

It was after I started playing FE that my RPG years took off.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was after I started playing FE that my RPG years took off.

I didn't even start playing FE till a few years ago... when I first saw it in the shops back in the day I didn't want to touch it because I saw the game play and thought eww no I'm not touching that, I didn't want to touch any strategy games... then when I got Sacred stones on my 3ds that changed everything and I realized how stupid I was, I could have even gotten a few of the FE games in the shops which now I cant find anywhere >_>

I didn't even start playing FE till a few years ago... when I first saw it in the shops back in the day I didn't want to touch it because I saw the game play and thought eww no I'm not touching that, I didn't want to touch any strategy games... then when I got Sacred stones on my 3ds that changed everything and I realized how stupid I was, I could have even gotten a few of the FE games in the shops which now I cant find anywhere >_>

But FE8 doesn't even have much strategy. It's too easy.

But yeah, of all the FE games I played, FE12 Lunatic/Lunatic Reverse seemed the most fun.

I liked a lot about FE13, too, but eh...

Lunatic and Lunatic+ seem a bit unbalanced.

And the option to grind sort of kills it for me.

Edited by Not-an-Apple

LAWL! Yiss. The sound effects of that game were so terribad, i lurves them.

I cried laughing the first time I heard that, and when you be in fights the monsters starts randomly growling and stuff, I loled good and hard at that panther head thing

Edited by Soledai

But FE8 doesn't even have much strategy. It's too easy.

But yeah, of all the FE games I played, FE12 Lunatic/Lunatic Reverse seemed the most fun.

I liked a lot about FE13, too, but eh...

Lunatic and Lunatic+ seem a bit unbalanced.

And the option to grind sort of kills it for me.

Well I'm talking about the FE games the one that had Roy in it and shadow dragon Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn, I use to see all these in the shops but never wanted to buy any cause I thought I wouldn't like it, now I regret not getting them (Though I did get PoR & RD later off eBay after playing SS)

I mean if Pokemon counts - probably when I was like...

Actually, it doesn't matter. I'd say when I was about 6, though I can't remember what actually got me hooked. The game that secured my RPG career, however, was probably Golden Sun years later.

Edited by Interest

I remember watching my big brother playing Advance Wars on the GBA when I was 5 or 6 and it looked fun with all the tanks and explosions, bombers taking out Battleships and all so I asked him if I could try for a bit and before I knew it I was addicted and wouldn't give it up. It was the new best thing for me! I wasn't very good at it of course but it was fun to command an army but over time by watching how the computers play and playing off their strategy I became a heeeck of a lot better. I LITERALLY played it for the next 5 years until my dad mentioned FE SD to me (and thats a different story), and to this day I am the God of Advance Wars.... at least in my house. Today, I play a lot of other RPGs (its my most played and favored genre) while Advance Wars and FE took the majority of my child.

Actually, it doesn't matter. I'd say when I was about 6, though I can't remember what actually got me hooked. The game that secured my RPG career, however, was probably Golden Sun years later.

I hear lots of people always talking about how good Golden sun is but I never got a chance to play it, I have played Dark Dawn a bit but everyone says its pretty bad and no were near as good as the others

I cried laughing the first time I heard that, and when you be in fights the monsters starts randomly growling and stuff, I loled good and hard at that panther head thing

Drakkhen has the best hilariousness.

This wins everything ever.

Drakkhen needs more love.

That's an interesting question. It started when I began playing Mass Effect, though they are more of a RPG/Shooter hybrid than a full-fledged RPG, so I'm not sure that counts.

But let's just say I fell in love with RPG's when I played Fallout 1 from start to finish. It was a great experience when I felt the consequences of my choices and how I role-played my female character (I like playing females in games whenever I can, okay? :P) and making her an adept in Sneaking/Science on my playthrough. I have a Fallout 2 playthrough up and running btw, and it's more amazing for me.

One of my most favorite on 7th gaming gen is an action RPG series, but that's not the point. Anyway, it's the Soul series. Demon's Souls and Dark Soul were amazing experiences for me since the games themselves trusts me and doesn't treat me like an idiot, doesn't hold my hand, that also I play methodically and carefully against various enemies since carelessness is a certainty of death, and the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction whenever I defeat a boss in an area. Hell, the atmosphere in Demon's Souls enhanced the experience. Tower of Latria is one of my most favorite levels in the game and it really feels creepy and horrific.

All in all, I like any kind of RPG's. Whether full-fledged RPG's (Like Fallout), action RPG's (Like the Souls series).

This is basically exactly me.

Right down to the age, and the Golden Sun years later.

...although it was Golden Sun: TLA, for me.

Shelie, have you comprised a list of RPG's yet

Drakkhen has the best hilariousness.

This wins everything ever.

Drakkhen needs more love.

Ah, I remember that tune, I think I was 'getting serious' at that part of the game, because me dying occured with some regularity

Started by playing Secret Of Mana. Even though I was terrible at it at first with my brother as we've finished it at LV51.

Edited by Dark_Huntress

I hear lots of people always talking about how good Golden sun is but I never got a chance to play it, I have played Dark Dawn a bit but everyone says its pretty bad and no were near as good as the others

I'd say it's a decent RPG. It's not some super epic large-scale story like some of the RPGs try to pull, though there's certainly some strong need to "save the world" in a way. It also has its own unique additions to a standard turn-based combat system. The Djinn-Summon system is pretty much one-of-a-kind. I also liked the "Switch" mechanic implemented in later games, as it allowed for some very strategic play in my opinion when juggling around 5-8 party members since the amount of characters you can have on the field is 4. I'm not too sure if it exists in other games where you have smaller parties than the actual party (I think Hexyz Force has the mechanic, but I'm not 100% sure).

Also, there's a lot of dialogue and so on. They definitely don't try to skimp on the details.

This is basically exactly me.

Right down to the age, and the Golden Sun years later.

...although it was Golden Sun: TLA, for me.

I have a feeling the game may have been Pokemon Red, but ugh...memories so hazy.

Edit: Nope it was earlier than that release date.

Edited by Interest

FF8 was the one I remember I really liked... I didn't even play it either... I just watched my older brother play it since I was a youngin'!

I am sorry I deleted you file bro :(

Edit 1: so I was 5 when it came out? must have been a few years till my older brother recieved it then.

Edit 2: I recall before I was born and a few years afterward, my dad use to play the SNES. So I remember him playing Aladdin and Super Mario World.

It looks like video games were my earliest memory :).

-

It was! my earliest memory was me trying to climb over the baby fence to get to the SNES. My brother could, I couldn’t :(

Edited by sifer

My really first experience with RPG was when I watched my brother playing FFVII on his PlayStation (technically ours, but he was the only one playing). I must have been 6-7 years old at the time.

I remember trying to play it at sometime, but I couldn't even see were Clad/Cloud was supposed to be and even if it was a small experience, I was pretty awfull at it...

The first RPG I played was either Golden Sun, or FFIV (well,, technically a French Translation of FF2US), on a Snes Emulator.

I should be 10-11 years old. Which means I spend half my life as a RPG fans.

The first game I really played on English was FFIII on NES. Not sure when, but I was obviously already in high school.

Golden Sun main selling point is how pretty it is. Visually, obviously, but the music in this game really are great.

The story spends on many games (I still remember patiently copying my password in TLA...), and is actually pretty good, with the twist added at the end of the first one. Psynergy allows for some puzzles. And "Mind Read" is a pretty cool psynergy too.

Shelie, have you comprised a list of RPG's yet

Nope not yet, I want to remake my list again soon though. The list I had made was actually RPG's I have already got and then ones I researched and wanted to get, I thought I saved it to my external hard drive but I couldn't find it anywhere on there, along with a lot of other stuff I tried to save...

All this talk I been hearing of Golden sun lately really makes me want to play it, I wish I could.

Edited by Shelie