• Replies 493.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Starman

• Kinumi

• Lance Masayoshi

• Soledai

I agree about religion, but I personally think that everyone should leave other's political opinion alone. Religious beliefs are personal, but political views affect society since every citizen in a democracy can vote. There's some political point of views I find can be dangerous for the rest of the nation if it's shared by too many.

Science cannot prove anything. It cannot prove that something exists or that it doesn't exist. Science can only offer the most plausible explanation that can be tested with the tools it has.

True, but scientific consensus still can be taken as factual. Gravity isn't necessarily true, perhaps someday someone will jump in the air and not return to earth.

That however is tremendously unlikely. Empirical evidence supported gravity theory since the beginning of the world, and it would be silly to assume that one case will go against it.

While science is indeed searching for the most plausible explanations and not truths, theories that exist since hundreds if years might as well be considered factual

Havarti, myself.

...what if it's a monarchy? So...the Vatican, basically.

I think you can only prove something, and to universally disprove something is technically possible due to the incomprehensible scope of the universe.

In a monarchy, you're better to keep those opinion to yourself, though it can be necessary to share them if the power in place commits abuse and you need to create a shift in mentality.

Science cannot prove that something exists. It cannot prove that gravity exist. It can say that the fact that things fall is best explained by the fact that they're attracted to the Earth, but they cannot prove that it's 100% that, just that it's the most likely explanation. In the same logic, you cannot disprove something, since new tools or new data might later contradict it.

Veryfying is impossible. If you verify something in science, it means that the chances of the hypothesis being true rise. If one single case goes against the theory, it is factually wrong and disproven.

Disproving is normally possible, veryfing however is never objective

In a monarchy, you're better to keep those opinion to yourself, though it can be necessary to share them if the power in place commits abuse and you need to create a shift in mentality.

In the same logic, you cannot disprove something, since new tools or new data might later contradict it.

Wrong, if one single case goes against a theory, then said theory is wrong, as it couldn't exactly predict the outcome of something. As said, disproving is not impossible in normal matters (religious stuff is something else), whereas veryfing is.

If 99 cases go according to a theory, but one doesn't, then said theory is absolutely wrong, and must be modified

It will in one of two ways, though the more desirable one has a 90% chance of not happening, so yeah.

Hey, a 10% chance of winning the lottery is pretty good, I'd say.

Science cannot prove that something exists. It cannot prove that gravity exist. It can say that the fact that things fall is best explained by the fact that they're attracted to the Earth, but they cannot prove that it's 100% that, just that it's the most likely explanation. In the same logic, you cannot disprove something, since new tools or new data might later contradict it.

Yeah...hm...wow, this is complicated. I thought gravity was proven, through math and such, or at least that it worked in out solar system.

Veryfying is impossible. If you verify something in science, it means that the chances of the hypothesis being true rise. If one single case goes against the theory, it is factually wrong and disproven.

Disproving is normally possible, veryfing however is never objective

Oh...dang, I like objectivity...

Somethings can be proved with science while others can't. Like aliens for example. In a universe as large as ours, is there really nothing else? It's a matter of logic and science, even though verification may lag until the necessary conditions are met.

Wrong, if one single case goes against a theory, then said theory is wrong, as it couldn't exactly predict the outcome of something. As said, disproving is not impossible in normal matters (religious stuff is something else), whereas veryfing is.

If 99 cases go according to a theory, but one doesn't, then said theory is absolutely wrong, and must be modified

The one odd case must have something which differentiated itself from the other cases, and that exception must be noted.

Somethings can be proved with science while others can't. Like aliens for example. In a universe as large as ours, is there really nothing else? It's a matter of logic and science, even though verification may lag until the necessary conditions are met.

Well, I believe alien bacteria or some such things have been found, but complex alien life in unknown parts of the universe can only be speculated about until there is proof of their existence.

Yeah...hm...wow, this is complicated. I thought gravity was proven, through math and such, or at least that it worked in out solar system.

We have a theory of gravity that has been proven to explain most observed phenomenon extremely well, however there are fringe cases where it is still incomplete, and further investigation is underway. cf gravity waves, etc.

Well, I believe alien bacteria or some such things have been found, but complex alien life in unknown parts of the universe can only be speculated about until there is proof of their existence.

True.

Those are again other matters entirely. If you find life outside of our solar system, then said existence is irreversibly proven. In otherwordly matters it is the opposite of scientific ones. You can prove something if you see it, but you can't disprove something like aliens because there are still parts in the universe to search for.

I was strictly talking about scientific theories and the like.

The one odd case must have something which differentiated itself from the other cases, and that exception must be noted.

Not if you make an experiment multiple times in the EXACT same way. If you have a theory about something, and one case goes against it without any noteable differences in the method of the experiment, then by extension it must be wrong

Oh Bal, would you happen to have any other vn recommendations? o:

I would indeed.

Aoishiro, was quite enjoyable. It has oodles and oodles of bad ends, which makes your choices actually have impact, and I find navigating life and death to be quite fulfilling. Also, it's got a female protagonist, and a pretty well-knit story.

There are several other titles set in the same universe as Ever17, which while I've not yet read, I've heard are quite good as well, Remember11, Never7, etc.

You should check out Hotel Dusk and The Last Windo (for DS) if you haven't already.

Hmmm... trying to think of some more that are free from sexual content.

About gravity:

I do take gravity as factual, simply because it has never been proven wrong in hundreds of years.

There are parts that have yet to be adequately explained, but there hasn't beem sn utter contradiction before.