Pondering an FEXNA Remake

Arch

Poll  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which game would you most like to see remade with FEXNA?

• FE1
    • FE2
    • FE5
    • FE6
    • FE7

................. why do you think Arch is making a remake game? I feel like I just said why.

Nowhere in Arch's original statement did he state he was doing it for that purpose. You came in with 'We need...' as a wholly independent entity. The condescension is unwarranted.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FE4.

Honnestly, all of them would be great.

Gave my vote for FE5, finally, because it's already a great game, but a remake could makes it more accessible, and probably one of the best thing ever.

You already know which one I'm gonna say.

I'd do my best to help with what I could, but I understand completely that you wouldn't want to play through FE2, though.

Edited by Tryhard

Arch, I'm interested in hearing why you prefer remakes/building on existing FE canon rather than creating a stand alone game (perhaps in a stand alone world), as most hackers do. Not trying to get off topic or say one's better than the other, just wondering if you have any stirring words on the matter.

I suppose it's just always been more interesting to me; fleshing out existing things, rather than building something completely new. Especially after playing the series and designing projects for so long, I've thought pretty extensively about what I'd change. Building an original work definitely interests me, and I trust that I could do a fine job at it, but it's a long, tedious process. I'm just at a point in my life where trying to build some magnum opus blockbuster original work is kind of unfeasible. This is a fun hobby and all, but focusing on a remake (finishing one has obviously been on my bucket list for a while) is generally going to be an easier project to complete. Not really "stirring" words, I suppose. It's just a matter of personal preference; there are plenty of other people capable of creating compelling original stories for y'all to enjoy. Maybe someday? It depends how long I end up sticking around, I suppose.

Anyways, FE2 and FE5 are currently in a tie, blowing out the other options. FE5 really wants it, and FE2 really needs it. If it were just between those two, I'd probably choose Thracia (which would probably lead to an FE4 remake eventually). While the semi-blank canvas of potential that FE2 offers is appealing, FE5 could really be a solid remake.

Edited by Arch

Is it worth noting that I also have a doc for an FE8 Remake+Book 2? Any interest in that? Edited by Arch

I suppose it's just always been more interesting to me; fleshing out existing things, rather than building something completely new. Especially after playing the series and designing projects for so long, I've thought pretty extensively about what I'd change. Building an original work definitely interests me, and I trust that I could do a fine job at it, but it's a long, tedious process. I'm just at a point in my life where trying to build some magnum opus blockbuster original work is kind of unfeasible. This is a fun hobby and all, but focusing on a remake (finishing one has obviously been on my bucket list for a while) is generally going to be an easier project to complete. Not really "stirring" words, I suppose. It's just a matter of personal preference; there are plenty of other people capable of creating compelling original stories for y'all to enjoy. Maybe someday? It depends how long I end up sticking around, I suppose.

Anyways, FE2 and FE5 are currently in a tie, blowing out the other options. FE5 really wants it, and FE2 really needs it. If it were just between those two, I'd probably choose Thracia (which would probably lead to an FE4 remake eventually). While the semi-blank canvas of potential that FE2 offers is appealing, FE5 could really be a solid remake.

Is this going into it assuming you're intent on preserving all the little Thracia-nuances like Capture, Fatigue, etc. al? (Although the latter was rather mitigable, it was an interesting little subsystem), out of curiosity?

Thracia also gives you a more compelling cast to work with from the get-go, and one that resonates with people more. While the idea of remaking FE2 would be to make that happen, there's meat on the proverbial bones already with people like Leif, Finn, Eyvel, Travant, etc. al, rather than a mere skeleton.

Is it worth noting that I also have a doc for an FE8 Remake+Book 2? Any interest in that?

I'm interested to see where you'd take a Book 2 in Magvel. What's the premise? Magvel as a world desperately needs more substance to it. It's pretty much painted in the broadest of strokes in the original game.
Edited by Siuloir

inb4 demo is released on April 1st again

I'd vote for 5. It was a great game but the weird glitchy translations took away from the experience and it'd be nice to introduce new skills

I decided to leave it up to an RNG, from 1-8. First time I rolled a four, second time I rolled a five. All signs point to Jugdral.

[spoiler=FE5 Concepts]

• Flexible difficulty system that allows players to change difficulty modes in the prep screen. Recommends a level based on the ranks given to players for their performance on each map. Augmented by FEXNA’s built-in chapter replay system (which allows you to replay any chapter from that point in your save file), allowing players to replay maps with higher difficulty. Think of something similar to Kid Icarus: Uprising or Bravely Default.
  • Improved fatigue system, with more ways to offset fatigue naturally mid-map (waiting without movement perhaps, instead of just the S-Drink item, which just reset the fatigue count to 0). Visible bar on the unit bubble.
  • “Class Skills” system revamped; as members of the same group of classes gain levels, their “class level” raises; 5 levels total, with each level unlocking a new assignable class skill. Class skills can only be assigned to one unit at a time, but can be reassigned at will. Classes are divided into 12 groups (the infantry group, for example, consists of Archers and Soldiers).
  • Dismounted units use their primary weapon type, instead of defaulting to swords.
  • The obvious modernizations; second tier classes with distinct caps, fleshed out support system, etc.
  • Fusing the armor classes into two (Phalanx: Axe, Sword; Sentry: Lance, Bow), and the T2s for the Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow Knights (Champion: Lance, Axe; Ranger: Sword, Bow).
  • A four-part prologue based on the Lenster Falls story.
Edited by Arch

I decided to leave it up to an RNG, from 1-8. First time I rolled a four, second time I rolled a five. All signs point to Jugdral.

[spoiler=FE5 Concepts]

• Flexible difficulty system that allows players to change difficulty modes in the prep screen. Recommends a level based on the ranks given to players for their performance on each map. Augmented by FEXNA’s built-in chapter replay system (which allows you to replay any chapter from that point in your save file), allowing players to replay maps with higher difficulty. Think of something similar to Kid Icarus: Uprising or Bravely Default.
  • Improved fatigue system, with more ways to offset fatigue naturally mid-map (waiting without movement perhaps, instead of just the S-Drink item, which just reset the fatigue count to 0). Visible bar on the unit bubble.
  • “Class Skills” system revamped; as members of the same group of classes gain levels, their “class level” raises; 5 levels total, with each level unlocking a new assignable class skill. Class skills can only be assigned to one unit at a time, but can be reassigned at will. Classes are divided into 12 groups (the infantry group, for example, consists of Archers and Soldiers).
  • Dismounted units use their primary weapon type, instead of defaulting to swords.
  • The obvious modernizations; second tier classes with distinct caps, fleshed out support system, etc.
  • Fusing the armor classes into two (Phalanx: Axe, Sword; Sentry: Lance, Bow), and the T2s for the Sword/Lance/Axe/Bow Knights (Champion: Lance, Axe; Ranger: Sword, Bow).
  • A four-part prologue based on the Lenster Falls story.

My enthusiasm for that last point in particular is tremendous.

For the promoted cavalier types, I would do, Axe/Sword and Lance/Bow, because Sword+Bow has no common option for 1-2 range, making it inferior.

A fair and reasonable point - Arguably this can also be mitigated by giving Sword/Bow Access to Range 3 weapons,. There also exists some form of precedent in these combinations of the form of FE9-10 Silver and Gold Knights.

1-2 range weapons have a precarious place in the balance of Fire Emblem, due to their potence during the Enemy Phase and the fact that they erode the niche protection of Bows (and contribute to one of the reasons Archers are traditionally given a bad rap).

It's very easy for 1-2s to get out of hand - Look at Awakening, where they outperform everything other than Brave weapons due to their range utility.

I suggest making Fatigue visible. I seriously don't want to guess which unit to not overuse since I have no clue whether they're close to fatigue or not.

Isn't fatigue already visible? It's just that you can't tell cause the menus are gibberish.

For the promoted cavalier types, I would do, Axe/Sword and Lance/Bow, because Sword+Bow has no common option for 1-2 range, making it inferior.

A fair and reasonable point - Arguably this can also be mitigated by giving Sword/Bow Access to Range 3 weapons,. There also exists some form of precedent in these combinations of the form of FE9-10 Silver and Gold Knights.

FE7x's anticipation (ranger in this case would auto equip whatever the next weapon he can respond with in his inventory) would make them better at 1-2 range than Champions, so that's an option. The balance could obviously be made up in other skills.

Arch, are you planning on keeping the bow's WTA at 2 range and WTD at 1 range? Not sure if FE7x wants to keep that for themselves, but that was a mechanic I particularly liked, and thought gave bows a bit more flavour.

I'd suggest leaving all the oldies (NES/SNES) except FE2 alone. FE4 is lots of fun due to its hilarious ease-of-breaking, and FE5 is characterised by its weird and wonderful map/chapter design. The story is so incredibly mediocre (story? what story?) that if you were to "remake" it it would end up having to be a full remake which would interfere with canon even more...

FE8 Book 2 sounds like a great idea (Innes = Hardin obviously).

As we talked about on Skype, a cross-gen FE7/6 game might be fun but in order to have a coherent and actually interesting story you'd have to rewrite the plot so that it's not just 2 games in 1. Ideas that were brought up: fusing Ninian and Idoun as characters (details to be worked out later), fusing the first and second Valor trips, making Eliwood and co. present at Zephiel's funeral and able to witness at least some of his descent into madness. Now that I think about it it wouldn't be such a bad idea to play with canon and just make FE6 characters into FE7 children (e.g. crack children like Wendy being Serra's daughter lolololol). I could imagine the plot being like this:

• Lyn mode cut and fused into a subplot
  • Civil and political unrest in Lycia, Elbert is running around trying to control things and co-ordinate with Uther
  • Eliwood and Hector help Lyn and meet Ninian through her (Lyn x Hector = forced pairing??)
  • Meanwhile Darin and Desmond plotting together to help Darin take over Lycia because reasons
  • Uther dies, prompts Eli and friends to move against Darin
  • Darin defeated, Desmond not implicated, somehow Eliwood and Zephiel become friends
  • Small amount of times passes in which everyone has kids
  • Desmond tries to kill Zephiel, Eli and co. present at the funeral when Zephiel kills Desmond
  • Zephiel goes mad, co-ordinates with Nergal (who was responsible for the creation of Dark Dragons) to draw Ninian to Valor (using Elbert as bait?)
  • Ninian turns into a dark dragon, kills everyone or something
  • 15 years later FE6 begins

fe7fanficin5minutes

I think Elibe has had more than its day in the sun, for what it's worth. Thracia, on the other hand, is still relatively less accessible, and has garnered a somewhat offputting reputation.

Edited by Siuloir

need an FE5 remake since noone's really taken it up, while the rest don't have the potential for further greatness

little things like pitch-black fog, critical immunity with scrolls, and counter critical stat are what I like, along with jugdral's method of critical damage calculation

although counter crit (and classic FE5 wrath) might become overpowered if the stat caps are raised above 20

of course, it's supposed to be a remake and not an update, so I wonder what little things you might change

Edited by Lamia

I'd suggest leaving all the oldies (NES/SNES) except FE2 alone. FE4 is lots of fun due to its hilarious ease-of-breaking, and FE5 is characterised by its weird and wonderful map/chapter design. The story is so incredibly mediocre (story? what story?) that if you were to "remake" it it would end up having to be a full remake which would interfere with canon even more...

FE8 Book 2 sounds like a great idea (Innes = Hardin obviously).

As we talked about on Skype, a cross-gen FE7/6 game might be fun but in order to have a coherent and actually interesting story you'd have to rewrite the plot so that it's not just 2 games in 1. Ideas that were brought up: fusing Ninian and Idoun as characters (details to be worked out later), fusing the first and second Valor trips, making Eliwood and co. present at Zephiel's funeral and able to witness at least some of his descent into madness. Now that I think about it it wouldn't be such a bad idea to play with canon and just make FE6 characters into FE7 children (e.g. crack children like Wendy being Serra's daughter lolololol). I could imagine the plot being like this:

• Lyn mode cut and fused into a subplot
  • Civil and political unrest in Lycia, Elbert is running around trying to control things and co-ordinate with Uther
  • Eliwood and Hector help Lyn and meet Ninian through her (Lyn x Hector = forced pairing??)
  • Meanwhile Darin and Desmond plotting together to help Darin take over Lycia because reasons
  • Uther dies, prompts Eli and friends to move against Darin
  • Darin defeated, Desmond not implicated, somehow Eliwood and Zephiel become friends
  • Small amount of times passes in which everyone has kids
  • Desmond tries to kill Zephiel, Eli and co. present at the funeral when Zephiel kills Desmond
  • Zephiel goes mad, co-ordinates with Nergal (who was responsible for the creation of Dark Dragons) to draw Ninian to Valor (using Elbert as bait?)
  • Ninian turns into a dark dragon, kills everyone or something
  • 15 years later FE6 begins

fe7fanficin5minutes

Itisindeedfe7fanficin5minutes

although fe7 has defiantly seen it's time in the sun, i think that it would be interesting still to try to incorporate the two story's in a more natural fashion (m sorry agro that doesn't sound particularly exciting as far as plots go please forgive me senpai)

Though any if these remakes is fine with me i guess.

im still jonzing for that fe8+book 2 one though

seriously can we see the design docs for this cause if your not going to make it i will.

also please make sure graphical quality is consistent if you do make a remake, i cant stress this enough!

[spoiler=Working FE8-2 Synopsis]Shortly after the Demon King’s defeat, a great earthquake shook the land of Grado. A great tremor opened up, swallowed Grado’s capitol whole, and the catastrophe caused other disasters, landslides crushed great cities, thousands died. Ephraim, the new King of Renais, departed as soon as he heard of the calamity. When he and his men arrived in Grado, the found the land to be overrun by monsters. The men fought valiantly against the monsters, but the horde was simply too large. Ephraim decided, in his infinite wisdom, that deep within the chasm was the source. So, he valiantly charged into the fucking chasm and was never seen again. Seth returned to Renais to announce the disappearance of King Ephraim. Eirika took the throne as queen, and the united armies of Frelia, Renais and Rausten took control of the chaotic Grado. Innes, crowned the King of Frelia (Hayden felt that the world was in the hands of a new generation and passed the throne onto his son), has been reluctant. The popular opinion is that this is Grado’s divine punishment, and Innes somewhat agrees. However, he reluctantly lends his support, and his armies, to securing Grado. The monsters were routed, and the chasm has been secured ever since. The horde of monsters continues to flow from the chasm, the area is a constant battlefield. It has been five years since the great earthquake, the people of Grado live in terror, desperately looking for light at the end of the tunnel. But alas, they cannot see it...

Bandits roam freely as military forces are devoted to containing the chasm. Lawlessness, poverty, death and illness rule the once-proud nation of Grado. Before he died in the great earthquake, Duessell entrusted his nation’s future to one of his apprentices. Galen, now a captain in the united forces, will embark on a treacherous journey; the world will be plunged into war, and in Magvel’s darkest hour, he will unite its heroes to fight back against the lingering darkness...

The land will finally be freed from evil’s grasp.

Galen: The illegitimate son of General Selena, who was kept hidden and entrusted to Duessel. He is a skilled practitioner of anima magic, like his mother. Not even Duessel knew his father's identity; that secret died with Selena. He was raised in a military academy, and became a captain in Grado's army at a young age. To keep him out of the last war, Duessel gave Galen an honorable discharge (presumably to keep him alive in the event of Grado's defeat, with the suspicion that he might be Vigarde's son). Before Duessel died under the collapsing Grado Keep, he entrusted Cormag with protecting Galen. After Grado fell into chaos, Galen reenlisted and became the chief military officer representing Grado within the Allied Occupation Forces. He keeps a small squadron of personal forces with Cormag as his lieutenant (which he leads into battle as necessary), oversees Grado's limited military deployments, and maintains relations with the commanders from other nations (Generals Lyndon Frelia, Seth of Renais, and Judas of Rausten).

And here's the doc too.

The synopsis was written up a while ago. This is all very much, obviously, a work in progress.

Edited by Arch