I'M GONNA START READING

Junkhead

Mods, if ALLCAPS is not allowed please bear with me. I wasn't sure!

So yeah, I want to start reading. I've been meaning to do this towards the end of last year. I really want to lay off the computer, as to not ruin my eyesight in the future, to exercise my mind a bit (a least more than I do, here on the computer) and develop a healthier habit, in general.

My biggest problem has been trying to find a genre that I'm interested in...some people said that they recommended me the Fantasy genre, but I'm honestly not that into it. I do like things that have fantasy elements, but not that much. So yesterday, I did a bit of research on Wikipedia, to see if there was what I'm looking for. I think these sub-genres are rather fitting...

Possible genres of interest:
- Gaslamp fantasy
- Lovecraftian horror
- Dark fantasy
- Gothic fiction

When I think of the "Fantasy" genre, I tend to imagine colorful and happy worlds...which is something I don't really like. I'd like something similiar to Alice in Wonderland (Tim Burton's film), American McGee's Alice (really like the tone they set there) and possible HP6 (my favorite movie, don't know how the book sets the same atmosphere). I think my ideal book would be a Gothic Fiction/Dark Fantasy with a mix of Historical Fiction, since like I said, I'm not THAT into fantasty things.

If you think you'd be interested in Gaslamp Fantasy, you might want to consider Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell. I really liked it, anyway. It's very long, however. If you think steampunk might be up your alley, I'd suggest Perdido Street Station. Hope you have fun with this!

This is going to turn into a thread where we suggest books to each other, so...

Any good near-future sci-fi? Keep in mind that I hate dystopia, also the Mars trilogy interests me. I might also be interested in low fantasy if you know anything good.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Not as dark as the rest but might be your alley)

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Should do it. Let me know what you think.

Edited by Makaze

OH GAWD YES

I've listed that one, along with Faust (forgot which version, exactly) and I get the feeling that Edgar Allan Poe might be my kind of thing...does he write something similiar to what I explained? Something that's a novel and not a poem, I mean. I read the Red Masque of Death, but it's incredibly short. :L Also so good...

Also, thanks for the input so far guys!

Edited by The leaving song II

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch (Not as dark as the rest but might be your alley)

*points* YOU STOLE MY SUGGESTION!

Soul, how much actual Lovecraft have you read? Cuz if you havent made it though the collection, do it.

Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix is one i always toss out there cuz it needs more love. But it might actually be a bit too High Fantasy for what you are after. It has some horror elements though.

The Magicians by Lev Grossman

The Giver by Lois Lowry

Should do it. Let me know what you think.

Every other books by Lois Lowry (well, the anastasia series, don't think he did anything else...) were boring as hell, but The Giver was pretty great.

Well, I'm a big fan of Ray Bradbury. He is more known for its "SF" works (though I still consider it Fantasy. The guy absolutely don't care about realism)? but he made a tons of great short stories (including one amazing about a guy who becomes conscious of its own skeleton. I think he also did the one with the eterbal rain on Venus), and also some pretty good Gothic Fantasy works.

In details :

- From the dust returned. A seris of short fictions about a family of monsters. Kinda like Family Zdams, but somewhat more serious.

- Something this way comes : A Horror story about a circus.

- Martian Chronicles : A series of Novel about Mars colonization. It rzally is amazing, poetical and melancholic.

- Fahrenheit 451 : Obviously a must read amongst the stories of dystpian future.

You can also read all his collections of short stories. Many of them marked me really deeply.

I also would advise you to read Neil Gaiman.

- Neverwhere is a fantasy that happens on another hidden world based around London and its metro station. Seriously.

- American God is about a confrontation between the old Gods and the new Gods (TV... for example.)

One of my favourite books is "Good Omen" by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman. It's a parody of the Apocalypse, so if you're not too sensitive about the subject (and like Queen), this is a great ride.

EDIT : Well... Just typing that makes me want to read Bradbury again. He is an amazing story teller.

Edited by shytende

Besides school studies and HP3 & 4 (When I was around 8-10), I've actually never been much of a reader. Hardly one...I used to find it boring and wouldn't understand why people liked it. It turns out that I wasn't interested in most of the stuff I read, including the HP books. /: But it isn't too late to start, imo. This time I actually feel interested.

Looking through my shelf I found a nice little trilogy. It's more creepy and dark, then the atmosphere might originally seem. At least if circuses creep you out it is. The Wednesday tales, but it is also what could be considered a traditional fantasy series so not sure if this falls into what you want.

Besides school studies and HP3 & 4 (When I was around 8-10), I've actually never been much of a reader. Hardly one...I used to find it boring and wouldn't understand why people liked it. It turns out that I wasn't interested in most of the stuff I read, including the HP books. /: But it isn't too late to start, imo. This time I actually feel interested.

If you don't feels like reading a whole book at once, and have limited time, start with short stories collections.

Neil Gaiman and Bradbury (especially Bradbury), wrote a lot of short stories. (Except Something this way comes, and Fahrenheit 451, the others Bradbury Books are short stories collection, sometimes loosely connected between each others. You could add The Illustrated Man, or Sound of Thunder.)

I think ot's the best thing too do, especially when you have a busy schedule and is not sure to have enough attenton for a full book. Short stories are in no way inferior to long stories. Telling a complete story on a few lines necessit tons of talents. (

I always was a great reader (though actually less now...) But every time I returns to a book I remember why I love them so much.

My thought was the opposite. People who don't read miss so much...

OH GAWD YES

I've listed that one, along with Faust (forgot which version, exactly) and I get the feeling that Edgar Allan Poe might be my kind of thing...does he write something similiar to what I explained? Something that's a novel and not a poem, I mean. I read the Red Masque of Death, but it's incredibly short. :L Also so good...

Also, thanks for the input so far guys!

Poe writes exactly the kind of stuff you want. Buy his completed works. It's worth it.

Edited by Makaze

Every other books by Lois Lowry (well, the anastasia series, don't think he did anything else...) were boring as hell, but The Giver was pretty great.

Well, I'm a big fan of Ray Bradbury. He is more known for its "SF" works (though I still consider it Fantasy. The guy absolutely don't care about realism)? but he made a tons of great short stories (including one amazing about a guy who becomes conscious of its own skeleton. I think he also did the one with the eterbal rain on Venus), and also some pretty good Gothic Fantasy works.

In details :

- From the dust returned. A seris of short fictions about a family of monsters. Kinda like Family Zdams, but somewhat more serious.

- Something this way comes : A Horror story about a circus.

- Martian Chronicles : A series of Novel about Mars colonization. It rzally is amazing, poetical and melancholic.

- Fahrenheit 451 : Obviously a must read amongst the stories of dystpian future.

You can also read all his collections of short stories. Many of them marked me really deeply.

I also would advise you to read Neil Gaiman.

- Neverwhere is a fantasy that happens on another hidden world based around London and its metro station. Seriously.

- American God is about a confrontation between the old Gods and the new Gods (TV... for example.)

One of my favourite books is "Good Omen" by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman. It's a parody of the Apocalypse, so if you're not too sensitive about the subject (and like Queen), this is a great ride.

EDIT : Well... Just typing that makes me want to read Bradbury again. He is an amazing story teller.

really anything by terry pratchet is good, i love the discworld books, though they arent very in line with what the op is looking for

Also I recommend Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun. It's where the name SeverIan comes from! Neil Gaiman is a big fan of Gene Wolfe too, AFAIK (he's written positive blurbs on some of Wolfe's books). And Neil Gaiman himself is great.

Poe writes exactly the kind of stuff you want. Buy his completed works. It's worth it.

Is there a novel of this type that you could recommend me, to start with? I would like to see some samples. :):

Is there a novel of this type that you could recommend me, to start with? I would like to see some samples. :):

Afraid I can't. He only wrote short stories and poetry.

Old Kingdom series by Garth Nix is one i always toss out there cuz it needs more love. But it might actually be a bit too High Fantasy for what you are after. It has some horror elements though.

These are nice, yeah; I read and liked them some years ago. They may be a bit more High Fantasy than what you're after, though.

I don't tend to read much non-High Fantasy, tbh.

If I had to give a single suggestion... The Name of the Wind is very good, and not exactly colorful and happy.

These are nice, yeah; I read and liked them some years ago. They may be a bit more High Fantasy than what you're after, though.

I don't tend to read much non-High Fantasy, tbh.

If I had to give a single suggestion... The Name of the Wind is very good, and not exactly colorful and happy.

My hero.

You should read Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit and Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal?.

They're both semi-autobiographical stories about an adopted girl, her tyrant-mother, and how she overcame her hardships by reading and writing her way out of them.

I also suggest Weight, which is a retelling of the story of Atlas.

All three of these books are by Jeanette Winterson, and all three of them are books that I have enjoyed immensely. I'm sure you'll enjoy them, too! If you give them a chance, that is.