An anti-intellectualist comment against the Wolfram Language on YouTube.

HUEHUEHUEHUE.

This man is the least charismatic advertiser I have ever heard. One would think they would find someone better suited to marketing for such a groundbreaking development.

Edited by Makaze

This kind of attitude is why I was an underachiever in high school, because I didn't want to deal with being bullied like other kids. I really can't stand stuff like that. I also wouldn't give that guy the benefit of thinking he was joking, though it would be nice if he were. But joking or not, anti-intellectualism is everywhere here in America. I wish something could be done about it, but part of me just thinks it's human nature, and a way for people to deal with what they can't understand. Or, since I tend to be an optimist and like to believe everyone has the same capacity for knowledge, what they choose not to take the time to understand.

I'm not american, but feel like people who tend to see themselves as intelligent and are kind of excluded think people bully them for being smart. Most likely than not, that's not the case. The reason they are bullied or excluded is for acting different. Like, the "popular" girls who studied with me in high school were really smart and had excellent grades. In fact better than all friends who were the "excluded" crowd ( we weren't bullied at all, though)

I'm not american, but feel like people who tend to see themselves as intelligent and are kind of excluded think people bully them for being smart. Most likely than not, that's not the case. The reason they are bullied or excluded is for acting different. Like, the "popular" girls who studied with me in high school were really smart and had excellent grades. In fact better than all friends who were the "excluded" crowd ( we weren't bullied at all, though)

this is a very good post

This kind of attitude is why I was an underachiever in high school, because I didn't want to deal with being bullied like other kids.

When in doubt, blame someone else for your shortcomings. NO. I was quite the geek back in high school, and no one gave me shit for that.

@Dreamcrash and Nobody:Reminds me of a analysis of Ender's Game that said this.

"The dust jacket of my 1994 edition rhapsodized about how accurately the book portrayed bright children; objectively speaking, this is a dirty lie. As marketing, however, it's brilliant. The book's aimed squarely at those same children and teenagers — if it had been written ten years later, it would have been called YA — and it's structured around a question likely to be on a lot of their minds: "why's everybody picking on me?"

The correct answer, nine times out of ten, is "because you've got the socialization of a freshly hatched lungfish". But that doesn't sell books. Ender's Game goes for "because you're smarter and more morally pure", a much more palatable option."

@Dreamcrash and Nobody:Reminds me of a analysis of Ender's Game that said this.

"The dust jacket of my 1994 edition rhapsodized about how accurately the book portrayed bright children; objectively speaking, this is a dirty lie. As marketing, however, it's brilliant. The book's aimed squarely at those same children and teenagers — if it had been written ten years later, it would have been called YA — and it's structured around a question likely to be on a lot of their minds: "why's everybody picking on me?"

The correct answer, nine times out of ten, is "because you've got the socialization of a freshly hatched lungfish". But that doesn't sell books. Ender's Game goes for "because you're smarter and more morally pure", a much more palatable option."

Ender's Game has such a great way of dealing with bullies though. Just beat the shit out of them until they're so dead you don't even know that they're dead till someone tells you later.

Ender's Game has such a great way of dealing with bullies though. Just beat the shit out of them until they're so dead you don't even know that they're dead till someone tells you later.

Or

trap and hang one in the air vents until he confesses to all of his murders!! YEAH

There's a video somewhere on youtube who has people being polite to each other and the author answering nicely to each commenter. I won't post it here, because I'm too afraid of trolls ruining here.

I can confirm it's true. I was a really weird kid when I was young. I still tend to act the most unadapted wayevery time. The fact that I have a hard time understanding basic social rule, have absolutely no self-confidence, and takes everything far too seriously made me a perfect bullied folder. I'm still working on it (As a side note : "be yourself" is the worst advice you could ever give. It stopped me a lot to actually makes progress about myself, because I was afraid of "loosing my identity". If you hear someone says this, you should be legally authorized to punch him, then throw his head on the nearest toilet, and flush. (better if you shat on it first))
I still am obviously. I'm the kind of guy who thinks imitating Laharl's laugh, or using "mademoiselle" in English Class is a good idea... (It actually made me somehow popular. Not sure if people are laughing at me, or laughing with me, though...)
The advantage of being socially awkward, though was that it was as easy to talk with girls than with other guys.
And, lets' not forget there's different kind of intelligence. Some people are socially intelligent, even if they may not be book smart.
(And some bullies are extremely imaginative on their ways to screw your life over...).

(As a side note : "be yourself" is the worst advice you could ever give. It stopped me a lot to actually makes progress about myself, because I was afraid of "loosing my identity". If you hear someone says this, you should be legally authorized to punch him, then throw his head on the nearest toilet, and flush. (better if you shat on it first))

This is a bit extreme. But it's important not to confuse 'be yourself' with 'keep being antisocial and awkward' - that just leads to arrogance and a belief in possessing the moral high ground over 'popular people', which frankly makes people insufferable.

You can be yourself and still be capable of having friends and operating in society - there is always a place for you.