An anti-intellectualist comment against the Wolfram Language on YouTube.

This is a bit extreme. But it's important not to confuse 'be yourself' with 'keep being antisocial and awkward' - that just leads to arrogance and a belief in possessing the moral high ground over 'popular people', which frankly makes people insufferable.

You can be yourself and still be capable of having friends and operating in society - there is always a place for you.

Even me?

(As a side note : "be yourself" is the worst advice you could ever give. It stopped me a lot to actually makes progress about myself, because I was afraid of "loosing my identity". If you hear someone says this, you should be legally authorized to punch him, then throw his head on the nearest toilet, and flush. (better if you shat on it first))

Erm...this might not help with the whole "don't look weird" thing. That imagery...my goodness.

Anyways though, I think when people say "be yourself", that obviously comes with the caviat that generally you're supposed to be your BEST self, if you can help it. Or at the very least, don't call too much attention to yourself or constantly act in a way that's jarring to most people. I mean, there's a clear difference between trying to be someone your not (trying to be Football Captain when your heart is in Computer Programming, trying to be a PhD doctor when, inwardly, you'd much rather do Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter stuff, etc, etc...), and refusing to behave in a socially acceptable way just because you want to be unique (like, say, deciding not to wear clothes to school because you like to feel the wind on your skin, or something dumb like that).

Basically, even the best of advice can be bad when taken too far, or interpreted too literally, you know what I mean? It's all about balance, moderation.

Edited by FionordeQuester

I'm not blaming anyone for my own academic shortcomings, I'm just pointing out that my school was full of people who were bullied for being "too smart", so I always tried not to stand out. Teachers still did things like make an example of my papers to other students without my permission (which really made me mad because I hated the attention), and other students' attitudes did change toward me when that kind of thing happened. My average grades were my own fault, and looking back it was a really stupid decision, but trying to avoid bullying was my main reason for actively trying not to try.

I realize I probably sound really conceited, but this isn't the case of someone making an excuse for their shortcomings. I was capable of better grades but I chose not to make them to blend in and have the most normal social life I could without being outcast, like I had been prior to high school for being "too smart". That dumb decision was my own fault.

I went to a school that wasn't known for its intellectual giants (or much of anything, save for some pretty abysmal football). Yet those in the upper classes weren't teased/ostracized for "being smart", and that's because most of us decided that there was no fucking way that anyone would tell us what they think we should be capable of. Bullying one person is feasible, for the average bully. Trying to mess with something on the order of fifteen people who watch each other's backs isn't.

It sounds like you're out of that school. Are you showing how "capable" you are outside of it?

who the fuck says "anti-intellectualist"

Morons. Brainless Morons.

Erm...this might not help with the whole "don't look weird" thing. That imagery...my goodness.

Anyways though, I think when people say "be yourself", that obviously comes with the caviat that generally you're supposed to be your BEST self, if you can help it. Or at the very least, don't call too much attention to yourself or constantly act in a way that's jarring to most people. I mean, there's a clear difference between trying to be someone your not (trying to be Football Captain when your heart is in Computer Programming, trying to be a PhD doctor when, inwardly, you'd much rather do Steve Irwin Crocodile Hunter stuff, etc, etc...), and refusing to behave in a socially acceptable way just because you want to be unique (like, say, deciding not to wear clothes to school because you like to feel the wind on your skin, or something dumb like that).

Basically, even the best of advice can be bad when taken too far, or interpreted too literally, you know what I mean? It's all about balance, moderation.

Well, when you're trying your best to find with your creepling lack of self-esteem (I'm still suffering from this to this days, even if I'm working really hard on it), and is an awkward teenagers fighting with his all the confusion that come with puberty, that's hard to see your best self (the fact that I doubted having a true self at all wasn't helping).

This advice was really detrimental to me, so excuse me if I overreactded (And I didn't describe the really special Hell that should exist only for these jerks).

Edited by shytende

"Be yourself" is literally telling you to be the "good" or "bad" yourself is. If you think "Be yourself" is bad advice then it's probably because yourself is bad and you should feel bad and quit trying to drag others down with you.

"Be yourself" is literally telling you to be the "good" or "bad" yourself is. If you think "Be yourself" is bad advice then it's probably because yourself is bad and you should feel bad and quit trying to drag others down with you.

If yourself is bad, then it is bad advice.

Got any advice for those people?

If yourself is bad, then it is bad advice.

Got any advice for those people?

They need no advice. Some people are just terrible. Like Hikarusa.

You're right. It's not a bad advice. Because it isn't even an advice at all. It's just meaningless noise you pronnounce to makes you feels usefull and better about yourself. This is something only humongus twat says (The fact this post is the most aggressive and douchey I read here kinda proves my point. You're just making noises. And I would rather have makes funny noise with your mouth, because at least it would be something personnal :

And even then it's a terrible advice. For examp)le, let's says your boss says racist/sexist things. Being ayourbest, you should call him on it. But will you ? It's more trouble than it's worth, and won't makes him change.

Not bad. Crazy person (insulting the mentally challenged. Yep. Jackass check indeed).

I should actually thanks you to show everyone why this is an horrible advice. If you can't read that and thins you're a Grade-A Asshole Douche, then you're really a jackass.

And it's not even about being a good or bad person. It's about self-esteem (someone so far up his own ass can't even begin to comprehend, I fear.). At equal value (don't really like this kind of term, but for the sake of the exampe, let's pretend you can calculate it objectvely), someone who lacks self-esteem will automatically starts to count all the tiniest mistakes, and will minimized his good deeds; while someone with a high self-esteem will regroup many mistakes on a single group, and will valorizes its merits more.

I oversimplify, but you get the idea.

I think my reaction wasn't that exagerated after all. The punch in the face is pure guts reaction, but the head-flushing is.. educational.

Let's see you be yourself now, Mr/Mrs Poopy-Head ! Come on, show us how you are at your best !

If you're schizophrenic and needs your pill to be a functionning member of this society, should you stop to takes them to "be yourself" (whatever that shit actually means.) ? (No, obviously. That's a really bad idea.)

If someone is a pedophile, and have to fight every freaking days against his bad instincts, it won't help him at all.

A better advice is "Know yourself".

If you can now who you truly are, you can choose how to react accordingly depending on the situation. You won't be the same depending where you are, or with who. That's basic social skills.

Edited by shytende

And even then it's a terrible advice. For examp)le, let's says your boss says racist/sexist things. Being ayourbest, you should call him on it. But will you ? It's more trouble than it's worth, and won't makes him change.

I would call them on it and I wouldn't give a fuck if they didn't change because they still deserve to have someone spit in their face figuratively or otherwise.

"Yourself is bad, and you should feel bad."

~ Hextator