QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

If I had to eat vegetarian I could.

Also, choosing not to eat meat based on principle isn't really half-assing it. It's making a huge commitment towards something that doesn't have anything to do with your own health.

Ghandi didn't eat at all based on principle, what a half-asser. Anorexia for the fashion benefits or gtfo.

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to eat vegetarian I could.

Also, choosing not to eat meat based on principle isn't really half-assing it. It's making a huge commitment towards something that doesn't have anything to do with your own health.

Ghandi didn't eat at all based on principle, what a half-asser. Anorexia for the fashion benefits or gtfo.

You really missed the point.

If you go vegetarian because you care about animals, you are half-assing it. This is the equivalent of opposing the murder but not slavery of humans. Vegans don't stop at 'murder is wrong for all species'. They believe that forced breeding (rape) and torture are wrong for all species. In fact, anything that is wrong to do to a human is wrong to do to all species.

That includes 'owning' them.

If you do it for any reason other than empathy, the half-assed point doesn't apply. I specified that it was the principles that were half-assed.

Edited by Makaze

You really missed the point.

If you go vegetarian because you care about animals, you are half-assing it. This is the equivalent of opposing the murder but not slavery of humans. Vegans don't stop at 'murder is wrong for all species'. They believe that forced breeding (rape) and torture are wrong for all species as well.

If you do it for any reason other than empathy, the half-assed point doesn't apply. I specified that it was the principles that were half-assed.

Don't argue against my awesome Ghandi joke. It trumps you.

Ghandi > all of us

it's proven

I believed this until I found out he was racist.

RIP my faith in humanity.

Edited by Makaze

I believed this until I found out he was racist.

RIP my faith in humanity.

I can't say I've heard of that one before. But I have heard of the fact that he originally planned for a violent revolution as opposed to a non-violent one, but was unable to because of lack of weapons, which kinda dispells him as a symbol of non-violence even if it was more practical.

but I haven't really heard of him being racist

Edited by Tryhard

I can't say I've heard of that one before. But I have heard of the fact that he originally planned for a violent takeover as opposed to a non-violent one, but was unable to because of lack of weapons, which kinda dispells him as a symbol of non-violence even if it was more practical.

but I haven't really heard of him being racist

He spread documents against Africans. He looked down on them heavily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhi_Behind_the_Mask_of_Divinity

Among other sources.

It's possible people were trying to smear him, but the evidence seems pretty hefty.

Well, at least the things he's lionized for are generally good things of themselves (confrontational but nonviolent protest, resistance to oppression). Though yeah, hero worship is usually tough to square with the ways people can be so many contradictory things. (though personally, I think it's pretty cool, even a bit inspiring, to think that the historical household names who cam before us were so flawed, yet still managed to get some really good things done) (perhaps even more good on balance than bad, on occasion)

Speaking only for myself, I have heard pretty much the arguments Makaze voiced for vegetarianism being insufficient before, if one's doing it solely on the basis of trying to practice empathy to animals (due to how difficult it is to raise an animal, and even moreso huge quantities of animals, in order to use byproducts of their being alive for our own purposes, without categorically being a douchebag about it somehow), and I can't say I think they have no merit. I'd still go vegetarian before going vegan, though, because I'm such a picky fuck of an eater that I assume I'd need a lot of small steps to change my diet that much. (so, I'd literally be going vegetarian before going vegan)

That's also not to say if everybody were a vegan, what we call cruelty to animals would end, or anything. We'd still use stuff from just cows for a bunch of non-food products, IIRC, and of course one can only imagine how many things we still get from all the other animals we use, not to mention testees for countless scientific experiments, which are things nobody could reasonably ask us to cease overnight. But personally, I'd like to at least try to take baby steps towards something like a future where we rely less on things that we know have consciences to function, even if all that does is maybe encourage somebody else after me to try to take some other baby step.

(/grows out facial hair, starts wearing tie-dye shirts)

(/still eating meat as of this post)

(/puts foot in mouth, stares at the sky obliviously)

Edited by Rehab

no, but i have tried out decreasing the amount of times i eat meat to five times a month before. it was a cool experience, lasted a couple of months. i wasn't really prepared though, and discovered that i was depriving myself of protein (and probably other nutrients). when i begin to buy my own groceries, i really do want to try that again. i felt much healthier.

i think it's okay to use animals for things. life does that. i don't think it's immoral. that said, some of our methods are quite disgusting and i'd rather them be changed. it'd take a complete paradigm shift, or synthetic meat for that to happen, though. the latter is more likely.

veganism is a ridiculous venture to me.

Nah. Life should only have one mode. 100% commitment. Anything less is not living. (I know that is an exaggeration but I believe living life to the fullest is the best way to do things.)

If I can afford to go vegetarian, I can afford to go vegan. I can't afford either. If you could convince me that vegetarianism is significantly cheaper, I will do it until veganism becomes viable.

It's a principle thing.

You're embarrassing yourself

I think if you are vegetarian or vegan, whatever the reason may be, it's your choice to make for yourself and I have no right to judge or question that.

But if you force the same lifestyle on your carnivorous pets, then fuck you. Want a pet that also only eat non-animal matter? Plenty of herbivores out there. Don't force carnivores into being herbivores. They can't do it and stay healthy.

I do dislike the way the meat industries treat their animals before killing them, but I don't find the act of eating meat itself that awful. Not gonna blame a lion for eating a gazelle, not gonna blame myself for liking steak. Got the teeth for tearing and stomach for digesting meat, might as well use it, it's delicious.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Yeah I've heard of some talk of vegan food for cats and dogs and stuff, and I don't think I can get down with it really. At least not until I first hear some substantial expert testimony going, "this is every nutritional thing that [a carnivorous pet] needs to get from its food, this is a vegan food that has each and every one of those things, and this is proof that it all does indeed go down fine/that it's actually healthy for [carnivorous pet]." From the little I've heard about the stuff out there, I don't get the impression we're quite there yet

Edited by Rehab

Yeah I've heard of some talk of vegan food for cats and dogs and stuff, and I don't think I can get down with it really. At least not until I first hear some substantial expert testimony going, "this is every nutritional thing that [a carnivorous pet] needs to get from its food, this is a vegan food that has each and every one of those things, and this is proof that it all does indeed go down fine/that it's actually healthy for [carnivorous pet]." From the little I've heard about the stuff out there, I don't get the impression we're quite there yet

All I've heard is that those poor animals getting sick and stuff

Get a bunny if you don't want to feed your pet meat

bunny are great

bunny world domination

only if every animal in this world turned into bunny

i will go vegetarian if the choice is kill bunny or eat no meat ever again

my bunny died yesterday ;_;

Vegan pet food? Who would do that to their beasts? Unlike humans, cat and dog beasts cannot survive without meat products in their food. Wowowow thats freaking inhumane making your pet go vegan. D:

As for the question, i could probably go vegetarian maybe. (i love bacon a lot...) But i could never go vegan. I need fish in my diet. I need chicken and other types of stuff like that. I couldnt be vegan. I could, however, totally stop eating beef and if i wanted red meat, go with game meats. (mmmm venison...)