QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's something in the very very very back of my mind but I can't at all reach it and I haven't the foggiest idea what it's from so for now, have this

<necktie> fre is anime

<necktie> isaac and specta are too

<necktie> this is a haiku

so since this is supposed to describe our life I'll just say im doing great because I can't remember anything I would choose and I'm not creative enough to think of anything

As far as eye can see.

yeah, this. i do have family members that i don't like, though, so they don't count.

My conscience, thou art fetter'd

More than my shanks and wrists: you good gods give me

The penitent instrument to pick that bolt,

Then free for ever!

it's not mine, but it's shakespeare and he makes good metaphors.

i like this question a lot, i just suck at writing poetry. the extended metaphor would involve vastness, though, so like ocean and space and valleys and stuff.

I'm gonna go ahead and change my answer if we can use poems.

The railroad track is miles away,     And the day is loud with voices speaking, Yet there isn’t a train goes by all day     But I hear its whistle shrieking.All night there isn’t a train goes by,     Though the night is still for sleep and dreaming, But I see its cinders red on the sky,     And hear its engine steaming.My heart is warm with friends I make,     And better friends I’ll not be knowing; Yet there isn’t a train I wouldn’t take,     No matter where it’s going.
Edited by Esme

A game of Texas Hold'em Poker. Life is a zero-sum game where you and everyone else are dealt a small piece of a hand. You have to match the hand you were born with to the community hand that nature provides you. Nature can screw you over, but other people are the ones you have to beat. It is is a game of bluffs, exploitation, and choosing your battles wisely. You can either be in it for the long haul or take your chances and risk dying young. Playing your cards close to your chest is the best way to win.

All metaphors fall apart sometime.

Edited by Makaze

A game of Texas Hold'em Poker. Life is a zero-sum game where you and everyone else are dealt a small piece of a hand. You have to match the hand you were born with to the community hand that nature provides you. Nature can screw you over, but other people are the ones you have to beat. It is is a game of bluffs, exploitation, and choosing your battles wisely. You can either be in it for the long haul or take your chances and risk dying young. Playing your cards close to your chest is the best way to win.

Don't carry it too far; all metaphors fall apart sometime.

Guaranteed_replies.jpg

Ftr this one fell apart as soon as you said "life is a zero-sum game"

Edited by fuccboi

Guaranteed_replies.jpg

Ftr this one fell apart as soon as you said "life is a zero-sum game"

That's one I can pretty much back up. Although it's more that time is a zero-sum game.

e.g.:

Matter and energy are finite; what one person has is what another person does not have.

Alone time with one person is time not spent alone with another.

One opportunity taken in Place A in an hour is an opportunity at Place B missed in an hour.

Time spent learning one trade is time not spent learning another trade.

Which you choose to do in any of these cases changes the entire course of your life and by extension the lives of others.

In a post-scarcity, immortal world these things might not matter in the long term but they matter now. To me, anyway.

Edited by Makaze

That's one I can pretty much back up. Although it's more that time is a zero-sum game.

e.g.:

Matter and energy are finite; what one person has is what another person does not have.

Alone time with one person is time not spent alone with another.

One opportunity taken in Place A in an hour is an opportunity at Place B missed in an hour.

Time spent learning one trade is time not spent learning another trade.

Which you choose to do in any of these cases changes the entire course of your life and by extension the lives of others.

In a post-scarcity, immortal world these things might not matter in the long term but they matter now. To me, anyway.

are you a robot? you know, like beep boop

The time I spend shopping for pretty clothing prevents me from being able to spend that time torturing myself

Sum=Zero

Time I spend alone with Integrity is time not spent alone with a person who plans to kill me

Sum=Zero

Not to mention I'm pretty sure each step taken can create numerous consequences rather than just two, I wonder, do all of those consequences always balance out?

Edited by Freohr Datia