QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per the GREAT and MIGHTY Parrhesia, topic is back in business~!

Fanfiction that doesn't take itself seriously is alright. Fanfiction that does is fanfuckthat.

I don't bother it, and it doesn't bother me.

That being said I do occasionally laugh at passages of particularly terrible fanfiction that my wonderful friends decide need to be shared.

more like fanfucktion

Nightmare pretty much nailed it.

I can appreciate most writers' thoughts of expanding a universe that they love.

But it's just like doujinshi. It's a hit or miss and MOST OF THEM ARE A MISS.

Especially since a good portion of it is smut. (At least doujinshi requires a TON of work to illustrate as well rather than just SIMPLY dumping words which are essentially awful descriptions and euphemisms of what they want to happen)

And from what I've seen, more concerned with self fulfillment of their wants in that universe/work rather than actually developing the worth further.

So most of my feeling is contempt.

...but I've seen like... one that I liked that is relatively good. Depending on how critical you are.

Most of the time, it's a group "laugh at bad ones" pastime.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Of the little I've read, I think the sort of vignette style fanfic is the one that tends to be fine. A small-scale addition to what's already there. Also, at the time I read them (probably when I was about 10 years old) I liked the ff7 fanfics on "Oh No Not Another Final Fantasy 7 Web Page" (not sure if that's exactly it). I am also a huge fan of the Goku X Anne Frank fanfic.

Nightmare pretty much nailed it.I can appreciate most writers' thoughts of expanding a universe that they love.But it's just like doujinshi. It's a hit or miss and MOST OF THEM ARE A MISS.Especially since a good portion of it is smut. (At least doujinshi requires a TON of work to illustrate as well rather than just SIMPLY dumping words which are essentially awful descriptions and euphemisms of what they want to happen)And from what I've seen, more concerned with self fulfillment of their wants in that universe/work rather than actually developing the worth further.So most of my feeling is contempt....but I've seen like... one that I liked that is relatively good. Depending on how critical you are.Most of the time, it's a group "laugh at bad ones" pastime.

Some fanfictions can be considered fix fics though. I once found a fanfic of FT that actually had character development and suspense, a fanfic of fucking fairy tail . I'd say that fics of works I consider good (I'd say good works but subjectivity so) are always shit in comparison to the original work, but that fics of mediocre or even bad works have potential to be good as some will fix the mistakes of the original series.

And hey, one of my favorite manga is a doujinshi. Most are fan-servicy, but the good ones are simply outstanding, no question asked.

Adding to this, people who are critical about their entertainment will always find most stuff in every medium shit. Most books are shit, most movies are, most anime are, there will always only be a few hundred great works in any medium. Fanfics just have an even more skewed ratio good/bad

Edited by Kokone Kirino

Fanfiction feels like a gamble to me. It could be very well written and enjoyable to read. Or it could be horrible and utterly ruin your mental image of what the story and characters are supposed to be like.

Edited by Iceflare

I mostly like it when it's really bad but some are pretty enjoyable anyway

But whether I like a particular fic or or not, I have no hate. I can't really harbor any actual bad feelings simply because they're not good writers. At least they can theoretically get feedback :o

I intentionally try to look for bad/interesting/fun fanfictions like Sephiroth x Winnie the Pooh

Also on a some what related note my English class had to research different genres.

One of them was fanfiction xD

did you do it on published fanfiction about like sherlock and lovecraft and shit

that would have owned

The group that was assigned fanfiction could have done that, yeah.

more like fanfucktion

This made me laugh so hard that, because I was in public when I read it, I had to go find a place to hide and laugh.

I think fanfiction suffers from the fact that a large portion of the people who write it are awful at writing, not that that's bad, as it will hopefully improve their skills and criticism is good, it's just that it's not often pleasant to read. Then there are the people who just want to see their favourite characters fuck.

Honestly it's just like any other form of fan creativity. It is not inherently bad. Been lurking around Lofter (China's equivalent of tumblr, I guess?) and I've read some excellent fics both in terms of characterisation and story. It all depends on the skill of the writer and how much they can write these established characters well and in character.

However, unlike bad fanart which is easily discernible at a glance, bad fanfiction requires a bit more time for the reader to figure out "wow this is bad" outside of the obviously terrible ones with no grasp of whatever language they're writing in whatsoever. Which is like "man I can't believe I spent all this time reading this crap". Outside of that, though, it's just a creative outlet for people, and one that happens to be pretty accessible. Being accessible isn't a bad thing, by any means, but a larger amount of people doing it with a large percentage of these people sucking at it and fanfiction takes more time than most other fanwork to consume, gives fanfiction a bad rep.