QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's acceptable, mostly if you don't know them well (and also if you have a kind of big family that gets together and shares gifts, but that'd be a loooooot of gifts to get and bring and I don't blame my own for finding it most convenient to get some of us gifts and money for the others)

I personally don't mind receiving money as a gift since I can use it for something that I've been wanting or will shop for

Edited by Freohr Datia

money is great for most occasions but there are some where I dont feel its appropriate such as christmas, valentines day, and anniversaries (with your significant other)

though if thats what they ask for its okay

Edited by Belisarius

Well i sometimes feel bad when i give only money as a present as i feel its a way of saying "i couldnt be bothered getting you a gift, so here's this instead". But when i get money, i guess it isnt that bad...so long as its at least $20 or more

I was gonna offer you $19.99 via paypal...but I guess you wouldn't appreciate it, so nevermind.

It feels a little impersonal. I wouldn't mind being on the receiving end, though.

hell, this

I feel it makes most sense with a non-immediate relative giving money to a teenager, since they know they're not going to be in-touch with their interests anyway.

Edited by Parrhesia

on the one hand money itself is not a bad gift as it goes

on the other hand money is the thing you give somebody when you feel obligated to give them a gift but don't know them well enough to buy them anything

and i don't believe in being obligated to give gifts

i'm conflicted, op!!