QOTD Thread II - 420 - Favourite question so far?

Parrhesia

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, this is a particularly relevant question for me because I couldn't think of anything when my dad asked me to tell my relatives what I wanted for Christmas, so he said "you're probably getting money, then"

Which I'm cool with, personally. Unwrapping things admittedly activates a pleasure groove deep in my brain, but the only things I could think to ask for didn't seem appropriate. (a smartphone? ehhh bit too expensive probably, and somehow feels like something I should get a job for. some kinda lessons or a gym membership? so money, basically. maybe a desk, like a standing thing for computers or one of those art desks? wait you dumbass you're going there on a plane. maybe music? let's see, what have I been wanting to pick u-oops time's up.)

My family has a thing with gifts where they've always been way generous with presents (and could afford to be), which led to some awkward situations when I ended up getting somebody some kind of gift that actually made them uncomfortable. Like, their "whoa, you don't have to go that far" threshold was different from mine. Made kind of a doofus out of myself to some friends,* so now I get kinda worried that I'll come off like "who's this asshole" when I buy a steam gift or something

*(of course not all of them had the same reaction, which my doofus teenage self got even more confused by)

Edited by Rehab

oh boy

another lynx spray/shower gel set

i'll just put this one next to the other 7 boxes i've got of the stuff

lynx = axe for non-brits

Edited by Raven

it's just like any other present

there's nothing wrong with giving money in itself, it all depends on who you're giving it to and what they like!

sort of relevantish thoughts I like gift cards more because I don't feel like I should save some of it lmao

when I get money I think I should be responsible and save at least a chunk of it for a rainy day, whereas gift cards make me think yay shopping spree

but!

if someone gives me money I would still be super appreciative of course~

Edited by Specta

I literally asked for "nothing but money and a graphing calculator" this Christmas so idk I feel fine about it. I wouldn't get it as a gift for a friend though unless they asked.

oh yeah inspired by specta relevant info: amazon gift cards own as far as gifts go.

amazon is only one letter off of amazin for a reason ya DIG

no thought goes into giving money, so i can see why friends, family, so, etc. have a problem with the giver giving money.

like, the point of receiving a gift is so that you understand the other person thought of you and wanted you to have something nice that shows their love. money takes all of that away, and even takes out the loveliness of opening gifts. for many people, gifts are supposed to be special.

those are things i like to keep in mind when giving gifts. i don't really care about gifts all too much, so receiving cash is 100% a-ok.

in short, gifts reveal thoughtfulness, so no, it's a terrible gift. but then again, it also depends on the receiver.

oh man that is a lot of questions i need to look through the OP im get back to you on it

but it prolly had to do with superheroes or Thor

I vaguely remember one where I got to tell the story of Thrymskvitha and that was pretty great

I actually really liked

336. What Harry Potter house do you associate yourself with? (Page 222)

and seeing the hufflepuffs beat the ravenclaws

honorable mention to "who is john galt" "a cunt"