Let's just talk about Fire Emblem

Fargo294

PoR and RD had a bunch of different chapter objectives. They didn't just have the typical route enemy, defeat boss, defend, and seize either. They also had survive, escape, and arrive. And RD had even MORE than that, like set all the enemy supplies aflame and have two different characters arrive, like Ike and Ranulf in the one chapter or have a certain character on a different team arrive, like Skrimir in the one chapter.

I'd love to have stuff like this again!

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PoR and RD had a bunch of different chapter objectives. They didn't just have the typical route enemy, defeat boss, defend, and seize either. They also had survive, escape, and arrive. And RD had even MORE than that, like set all the enemy supplies aflame and have two different characters arrive, like Ike and Ranulf in the one chapter or have a certain character on a different team arrive, like Skrimir in the one chapter.

Doesn't change the fact that the Ike+Ranulf arrival chapter was pretty lame, and 3-13 was a little discouragingly difficult for me on Normal Mode when I was still getting into the series.

Aren't most arrival chapters are just bossrush-esque things, where instead of Seizing, you Arrive by standing on a tile and press Wait instead of Seize. Waiting on NPCs to do something is tedious and boring.

Survive chapters are pretty much the same as Defend too. FE7 had that (Chapter 17 Eliwood mode iirc, on the Boat, for instance). That was done fine.

Burn the Supplies was neat, and reminded me of the Step on the Switch thing from FE7's Lyn mode chapter (what...Matthew+Rath chapter).

Many of these weren't exactly pioneered in FE9/10, just reimplemented.

A defense mission like 2-F in FE10 should really return!

The Tellius series has the best gameplay anyway:

Most strategical options, different and interesting mission types, FE10 has best skill system, FE10 has perfect bexp. system (better than grinding in arenas or risen battles like in other FE games).

Doesn't change the fact that the Ike+Ranulf arrival chapter was pretty lame, and 3-13 was a little discouragingly difficult for me on Normal Mode when I was still getting into the series.

Aren't most arrival chapters are just bossrush-esque things, where instead of Seizing, you Arrive by standing on a tile and press Wait instead of Seize. Waiting on NPCs to do something is tedious and boring.

Survive chapters are pretty much the same as Defend too. FE7 had that (Chapter 17 Eliwood mode iirc, on the Boat, for instance). That was done fine.

Burn the Supplies was neat, and reminded me of the Step on the Switch thing from FE7's Lyn mode chapter (what...Matthew+Rath chapter).

Many of these weren't exactly pioneered in FE9/10, just reimplemented.

Yes, there is no huge difference between seize and arrive storywise.

The two defense missions in FE10 are much more insane than the surviving chapters in the DS ones. Elincia´s gambit (2-F) is probably one of the very best chapters in the whole series because of its map design and challenge. FE10 is anyway one of the harder games of the series and 3-13 is pretty challenging to block and defense. But it is a very good and fun defense chapter.

Actually, there is one huge difference between seize and arrive. Only the lord/main character can do the former. :P

Now seize and ESCAPE are basically the same.

Edited by Anacybele

Actually, there is one huge difference between seize and arrive. Only the lord/main character can do the former. :P

Arrive is even more easier than Seize. Escape (FE5 version) is a lot different even though FE5 is notorious for being filled with 'Escape' maps that make more sense as 'Seize' maps.

Arrive is even more easier than Seize. Escape (FE5 version) is a lot different even though FE5 is notorious for being filled with 'Escape' maps that make more sense as 'Seize' maps.

To my mind there is no difference in the story between seize and arrive missions. There is no point if the lord arrives first or something else. Eihter only arrive missions or only seize missions.

And I think that is the reason, why arrive missions are removed in FE10. The "arrive" mission in 4-4 is also a seize mission, because Ike and Ranulf are the main characters.

In FE9 the escape missions are basically similar to seize missions, except you leave out bexp., if the lord escapes first. In FE5 in the escape missions you have to escape. Otherwise the units will be captured and that is the same consequence like the death.