Games you like but most people hate

xblade

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wind Waker and Twilight Princess certainly aren't hated by most people, but I do find them to be the two greatest Zelda games, which is a lot farther than a lot of people would go.

Quest 64 and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest may be objectively terrible games, but I spent a lot of my childhood playing them (Especially FF:MQ. I didn't actually get my own Nintendo 64 until Christmas of 2000 so before that I could only play N64 games when I was at either my dad's house or a friend's house).

There's also Final Fantasy XII (it doesn't get as much hate as other recent Final Fantasies, but generally the sizable number of people who hate everything after VII don't make an exception for this one) and Final Fantasy XIII.

-Bahamuth Lagoon. It was a time where Square had too much money and could make a game that was just plain fun, without wondering about thing like logic or decency. It actually have some really good gameplay idea.

And more forgotten than hated :

- Live a Live. This game is one of my all time favorite.

- The Magical Land of Wozz. If it was translated here, it could have become a cult classic. It's just fun, and the Vehicle and Robot System is actually great.

Why it wasn't translated is still a mystery to me. I mean, it has Shot Phoenix, the American archer.

-Oriental Blue. It has a non-linear approach and really few documentation about it, but it's still really good.

This one's tough. Aside from liking the whole Final Fantasy 13 series, I don't think there's any other game I've enjoyed that the majority don't. Even FF13 is shaky, as I hear its just a very vocal minority as opposed to the majority.

-Bahamuth Lagoon. It was a time where Square had too much money and could make a game that was just plain fun, without wondering about thing like logic or decency. It actually have some really good gameplay idea.

And more forgotten than hated :

- Live a Live. This game is one of my all time favorite.

Agree with you. I really enjoyed Bahamut Lagoon (But Yoyo!!! Oh myyyy) and Live A Live had Yoko Shimomura as the composer, so it's one of my top games I've ever played :)

Final Fantasy 12 also tops my top FF chart along with 6. I don't know why, but I spent hours and hours into that game.

I can think of a few other games that are hated in general but I like - Drakengard 2 for example. I actually quite liked the story and the characters, with the irony and all. And I loved the next game in the series, Nier (yes, I consider it canon and part of the Drakengard series).

Agree with you. I really enjoyed Bahamut Lagoon (But Yoyo!!! Oh myyyy) and Live A Live had Yoko Shimomura as the composer, so it's one of my top games I've ever played :)

Final Fantasy 12 also tops my top FF chart along with 6. I don't know why, but I spent hours and hours into that game.

I can think of a few other games that are hated in general but I like - Drakengard 2 for example. I actually quite liked the story and the characters, with the irony and all. And I loved the next game in the series, Nier (yes, I consider it canon and part of the Drakengard series).

Bahamuth Lagoon's story felt rushed at time. It's far from perfect, but that's part of its charm.

Oh, never noticed Live a Live's composr also worked on Radiant Historia (another favorite of mine, wich is sadly not really well known. probably one of the best RPG ever made)...

The music is also a big part of why I love this game. Not only is it really good, but being able to makes music who reflect each of the different worlds is really impressive.

I never got the occasion to play FFXII, but it seems really interresting (I played through FFT, FFTA FFTA2, though, so I at least know some things). I hope it'd get a HD remaster like FFX, so I can finally plays it.

Oh, never noticed Live a Live's composr also worked on Radiant Historia (another favorite of mine, wich is sadly not really well known. probably one of the best RPG ever made)...

The music is also a big part of why I love this game. Not only is it really good, but being able to makes music who reflect each of the different worlds is really impressive.

I never got the occasion to play FFXII, but it seems really interresting (I played through FFT, FFTA FFTA2, though, so I at least know some things). I hope it'd get a HD remaster like FFX, so I can finally plays it.

Me too, I really liked Radiant Historia and loved the OST... I still play it from time to time even though I beat it so many times already.

I'm planning on picking up FF10 HD version on the Vita since I never played it - if you have played it, is it any good? I know that the OST of the HD version is quite different from the original OST (which I am feeling a bit ambivalent about tbh - some tracks sound better, some don't). And yes, here's to hoping for a FF12 HD remaster. It looked phenomenal on the PS2, imagine it on 7th or even 8th gen consoles

Me too, I really liked Radiant Historia and loved the OST... I still play it from time to time even though I beat it so many times already.

I'm planning on picking up FF10 HD version on the Vita since I never played it - if you have played it, is it any good? I know that the OST of the HD version is quite different from the original OST (which I am feeling a bit ambivalent about tbh - some tracks sound better, some don't). And yes, here's to hoping for a FF12 HD remaster. It looked phenomenal on the PS2, imagine it on 7th or even 8th gen consoles

It does a lot of thing really well. It has a pretty good story, and the character are distinctive and well done. The world is pretty well done too.

It is really story driven, with limited options outside of the main road (and basically none before the end of the game), so be warned.

The VA is cheesy as hell, which kinda hinder the serious of the game.

The battle system actually made me think of Radiant Historia. They are turn-by-turn, and you can see everyone's turn order. They are also really strategic.

The Sphere Grid doesn't add much compared to level on Normal Mode (at least until the last part of the game), so you may want to try Expert.

The invocation system is pretty broken, but fun to use

I wasn't in the perfect state of mind to fully appreciate it, but if you don't mind the linearity of the game, it's a really solid title.

I didn't compared the original OST with the HD version but the music is still pretty great.

Remember, it could have been far worse.

FFX-2 is nearly the opposite gameplay-wise and ambiance wise.

It takes the inherent cheesiness (and fan-service...) of FFX to its extreme, and is a more open-game with fast-paced ATB battles. I have more fun with FFX-2, but it depends what you're awaiting out of a game.

I saw mention of Live-a-Live here and agree with all of you.

Other games include the 3rd Gen of Pokemon, all of it except for the remakes.

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum

Black/White

Spirit Tracks.

And FE11

Oh my god that youtube link fried my ears to a crisp XD

And thanks for the detailed review - I love a bit of strategy in games, even in RPGs, so I think I'll pick it up along with either MGS collection, God of War or Deception IV from Amazon or somewhere after my finals in June. I think they bundle X and X-2 together, yay

Metroid: Other M

Skyward Sword

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Final Fantasy XIII series

Pokemon Colosseum

Super Paper Mario

...I am easily impressed...

I don't think most people hate skyward sword

I think Skyward Sword is an excellent game. I don't think it's mostly hated, I think most people either love it or hate it, it's kind of 50/50.

Tales of Phantasia GBA

The slowdown wasn't bothering me and I honestly didn't notice it until I started playing the PSX version. Any criticism towards the music should be directed to the GBA soundchip being terrible in general and I think they did a good job considering that. The voice acting is bad, but it's legitimately so bad it's good and is still remembered to this day. I'm still amazed how many GBA games could port PSX graphics over with minimal loss. The weird text abbreviations are par for the course for German translations and the "Kangaroo" thing doesn't exist in the German translation either.

In short, while superior versions have been released both officially and unofficially, the GBA version isn't as bad as people make it out to be and it's definitely a step above the SNES version.

Mega Man: Battle Network 4

While the reworked graphics might be debatable, I really prefer the face sprites compared from the previous three. While Style Change is neat, Double Soul is more fitting to the series' roots. Half the bosses changing and the extra content for every new playthrough give the game nice replayability and the differences between versions have been vastly expanded too. The plot with the dark chips and travelling around the world is also pretty good and it didn't shy away from not using Dr. Wily as the villain. The expanded chip letters and elements expand the folder managment. The dark chips themselves are also a nice auto-win feature that have major repercussions towards the end of the game.

While the later two games improved a lot of things from this one, MMBN4 is far from being irredeemably bad as many people make it out to be.

Oh, and Duo is the menacing threat from outer space he should've been all along.

Edited by Ike-Mike

Tales of Narikiri Dungeon. All three of them. Yes, even the GB game, with his awfull combat system that I played through untranslated.

The first one has actually a surprisingly good plot. Also it has pacMan and Heihachi's costume, and that wall thingy.

And they're all pretty fun all around, even with an uncomplete translation.

And they have amazing music obviously.

• Chrono Cross - Only on here because of the "haters" who don't consider it a true sequel to Chrono Trigger. If there weren't legions of people hating it solely for that reason, it wouldn't meet the second criteria at all.
  • Drakengard 2 - Niche/cult series to begin with. Most people seem to prefer the first game over this one, simply because of the story. I actually prefer the "better" combat mechanics, despite the flaws still in the system.

I actually did not like the gameplay of Cross, and it bored me really quickly. The plot didn't catch me by surprise, and I didn't like the level up system. The plot was alright, I thought the character development was incredibly shallow and its approach to the characters in general really irked me.

However, Drakengard 2... the story is pretty awful. Not unlike Drakengard, but at least Drakengard had that "wtf" aspect that appeals to your morbid curiosity. Drakengard 2 was a lot of fun though, which is probably the most underrated aspect of the game. The mechanics were improved, still somewhat clunky, but damn do I love taking on legions of enemies and killing them. Also really really liked the

Caim boss fight.

Anyway for me, FF13 series and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow off the top of my head.

Also, Tales of Legendia, but I do acknowledge its gameplay is probably the worst in the series. The plot and music are head and shoulders above the rest of the series.

Edited by Lord Raven

Star Fox Adventure + Star Fox Assault. God how much I played these games with my friends

I am a HUGE fan of those games, especially Adventures.

I'd say Sonic Heroes, Megaman & Bass, Megaman Battle Network 4-5, and the Megaman Starforce series.

Edited by DragonLord

Before I begin, I acknowledge that my. . . sample could be very off - if my indication of thinking Skies of Arcadia was a critically panned game that barely made it off the shelves is any indication. . .

but off the top of my head. . .

Star Fox Adventures

Star Fox Assault

Sonic Heroes

Super Paper Mario

Megaman Battle Network 5-6

Megaman Zero 3/4

Megaman X:Command Mission

Fire Emblem 2:Gaiden

The Warriors Franchise in general (So much hate. . .)

The Legend of Zelda:Majoras Mask (Why? Why do people I know in person HATE, just seething HATE this entry so much? They don't even try to justify their argument when I talk to them like the game tried to kill them or something. . .)

Metroid:Other M (Hey, look! Actual code exists to fire missiles while in 3rd person. . . I wonder why)

And the one I can totally understand the hate for it. . .

The

New

Superman

Aventures

A.k.a Superman 64, the game I love to play for the sheer glitchyness of "ruined by the network" incarnate. . .

Edited by Verdant Shade

• 2 weeks later...

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (PS1)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

The Hobbit: The Prelude to The Lord of the Rings (PS2)

Crash Twinsanity

The Legend of Spyro: A New Beginning and Dawn of the Dragon