itt math jokes

Ansem

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this great anagram of Banach-Tarski the other day:

Banach-Tarski Banach-Tarski

Three statisticians go hunting. They spot a wild deer, and so try and shoot it. The first one tries, and he shoots one meter too far to the left. The second has a go, and shoots one meter to the right. The third says,

"Great, on average we've got it!"

dad9d4f5da67fac95a4d6636b6fa020f.png

my favorite

i hate when there is trig in my calc. i end up freezing and heading to the next question. i have to get over my phobia because test in a month but hnnnnnnnng

point: this could be useful. or not, probably too simple

Two math professors are sitting in a pub. "Isn't it disgusting", the first one complains, "how little the general public knows about mathematics?" "Well", his colleague replies, "you're perhaps a bit too pessimistic." "I don't think so", the first one replies. "And anyhow, I have to go to the washroom now." He goes off, and the other professor decides to use this opportunity to play a prank on his colleague. He makes a sign to the pretty, blonde waitress to come over. "When my friend comes back, I'll wave you over to our table, and I'll ask you a question. I would like you to answer: x to the third over three. Can you do that?" "Sure." The girl giggles and repeats several times: "x to the third over three, x to the third over three, x to the third over three..." When the first professor comes back from the washroom, his colleague says: "I still think, you're way too pessimistic. I'm sure the waitress knows a lot more about mathematics than you imagine." He makes her come over and asks her: "Can you tell us what the integral of x squared is?" She replies: "x to the third over three." The other professor's mouth drops wide open, and his colleague grins smugly when the waitress adds: "...plus C."

That's area, not volume.

no, i'm pretty sure it's the volume

pi * z * z * a

pi*z*z*a is three dimensional. Let's assume they're measured in meters. You get:

pi * z(m)*z(m)*a(m) = pizza (m³)

m³ means it's volume, not area.

It's the product of the area of the surface by its height. Obviously a volume.

Edited by Nobody

pi r^2 is area. Volume is a whole other beast. Hint: it looks like the integral of the area.

e: actually volume of a cylinder is height * area so that's right, my thin crust preference influenced my interpretation because I wasn't expecting your pizza to even have any height.

good job missing my complex/imaginary number joke btw you guys suck at math

also there actually is a valid argument for the lack of fun to be had in math:

http://xkcd.com/435/

(mouse over to view the alt text)

though I would swap physics for computer science myself

Edited by Kaname

A man is sitting at home next to his brother and gives him a challenge. "Try and divide fourteen sugar cubes into three cups of coffee so that each cup has an odd number of sugar cubes in it." The other man thinks for a moment and says, "Why, that's easy: One, one, and twelve." The first man, confused, replies, "But twelves isn't an odd number!" His brother responds, "It sure is an odd number of cubes to put in a cup of coffee..."

tfw I'm literally having difficulty getting some of these jokes that I told myself years ago when I was taking engineering classes. :T

Lolol I geddit. 12 is too much, it is /odd/ putting too much.

/captain obvious flies away

Most of my math jokes are pick up lines I found on Reddit, Kai not too funny

Pascal, Einstein and Newton decide to play a game of hide-and-seek, with Einstein as the seeker. When Einstein closes his eyes to count, Pascal hides normally. Newton, on the other hand, takes a piece of chalk and draws 4 lines in a square around himself, each a meter long. When Einstein opens his eyes, he finds Newton standing still in the middle of the square, out in the open.

Einstein laughs and says, "Found you, Pascal!"

Pascal, Einstein and Newton decide to play a game of hide-and-seek, with Einstein as the seeker. When Einstein closes his eyes to count, Pascal hides normally. Newton, on the other hand, takes a piece of chalk and draws 4 lines in a square around himself, each a meter long. When Einstein opens his eyes, he finds Newton standing still in the middle of the square, out in the open.

Einstein laughs and says, "Found you, Pascal!"

This is a good one, I would share it in school but I dont think anyone would get it

http://www.buzzfeed.com/babymantis/20-spectacularly-nerdy-math-jokes-1opu

my favorite is "shit just got real"