If Chrom and Sumia had the standard marriage ranges...

Who do you think would be their new best pairing options, or do you feel their best options are already among what's available for them?

I suppose this question is really mostly for Sumia, because I'm pretty sure that the general opinion is that the only other option this gives for Chrom is Cordelia (Lucina's gotta have galeforce after all), though I am curious what people would think of a hypothetical Chrom!Severa / Cordelia!Lucina.

Sumia don't really need anything from her husband. He class set is almost perfect for Cynthia.

Henry would still be her best option IMO, since he's kind of useless for everyone else but good for her, since he allows cynthia to become a pretty good magical dark flier who can go physical if you want

Edited by Nobody

Chrom!Severa would gain Aether and +1 speed cap in exchange of Swordfaire, Astra, Vantage and 3 defense cap when compared to (generally accepted) ideal Stahl!Cordelia. Considering she already has access to Luna, Sol, and Vengeance, Stahl!Cordelia would still be superior and its not like Stahl is THAT contested.

Cordelia!Lucina wouldn't be that sweet of a deal either because with natural Aether+Luna, nobody is playing Sol/Vengeance. It also gives her no faires outside the obligatory bow/lance ones and while the cap modifiers are nice, they are far from amazing.

As for Sumia, she pretty much gives Cynthia everything she wants skill/class access wise no matter who the dad is and I cannot think of a dad who gives more than marginally superior cap modifiers without being highly contested as it is.

Honestly, Chrom x Olivia still remains as a best pairing for Chrom. The only rival would be Cordelia, but most of what she has to offer Lucina(Vengeance, Armthrift, Sol) aren't that good compared what Olivia gives(Vantage, Swordfaire, Lethality for Streetpass). I know most people overhype Vantage and think it's useless on Lucina, but it's generally better than Cordelia's skills(And honestly, Armthrift and Sol are way more overhyped). And Severa gets cheated out of Vantage to compliment her initial Vengeance.

Sumia doesn't honestly care, since her child's basically perfect. The best would probably be Gregor, since none of the other children really need him(Lon'qu can replace him for Laurent and Maribelle also doesn't care who she marries).

Edited by Galenforcer

Virion!Cynthia would be the shit since his mods are perfect for her and he gives her some interesting class and skill choices, Deliverer and Lifetaker in particular. Lon'qu is also amazing for her too.

Stahl and Vaike would also be decent choices if you want a more physical Cynthia. Really the only bad father for her would be like, Kellam but even then

Edited by Black Frost

I dunno. Sumia's speed is high enough that it might counteract Kellam's terrible speed modifier giving a Cynthia with good speed.

Kellam also gives Cynthia two classes that she already gets from Sumia, leaving the thief branch as her only new class. I think Kellam's speed mods are actually the same as Frederick's.

Chrom!Severa would gain Aether and +1 speed cap in exchange of Swordfaire, Astra, Vantage and 3 defense cap when compared to (generally accepted) ideal Stahl!Cordelia. Considering she already has access to Luna, Sol, and Vengeance, Stahl!Cordelia would still be superior and its not like Stahl is THAT contested.

A couple of things bugging me here...

First, Aether trumps all that stuff even without Chrom's other boosts. The only thing that can make an Aether/Luna unit not incredibly awesome is a lack of Galeforce, and Severa has that.

Second, Stahl!Severa honestly isn't that great. Vantage/Vengeance? Outclassed by Lon'qu!Severa, who has lower Def and higher Mag (and who also has Breakers). Astra/Luna/Galeforce? Outclassed by Vengeance/Galeforce, which she can do with any father.

Back on topic, Sumia x Virion would be able to have fun with Breakers, Sumia x Lon'qu would yield 7(!) Spd (and Breakers), and Sumia x Vaike/Gregor/Donnel would let Cynthia be a real, authentic Hero (in Gregor's case, with her choice of Faires). Chrom wouldn't go with anyone else besides his normal three and Cordelia. Chrom x Cordelia could actually be pretty interesting by giving Lucina Vengeance, allowing 100% DS Vengeance a lot more freely (no Vantage though).

From a story standpoint, I think it'd be pretty interesting if Chrom could marry anyone he recruited before Lucina shows up, especially Cordelia. I feel bad for whoever Severa's father is, so it's not like that would change my opinion on her relationship with her dad, but I do think that their parents would get on well, and it at least gives her at least a little more of a reason for being so tsundere (having a "perfect" mom and being the little sister of the badass heir to the Ylissian throne). Likewise, I think Sumia would have absolutely adorable supports with Stahl or Kellam, and I can see her support with someone like Gregor also being a lot of fun. She'd also probably be one of the only girls I could see going back to the farm with Donny and actually being happy (no, of course I'm not bitter that the male endings in marriages are the default ones and their wives just get dragged along).

Statwise, I'm not sure what to say. Chrom/Cordelia probably works out better for Severa than it does for Lucina. Cynthia would get some neat toys to play around with with her expanded father list (plus I can make her a redhead without giving her Gaius' godsawful bright orange hair).

Honestly, Chrom x Olivia still remains as a best pairing for Chrom. The only rival would be Cordelia, but most of what she has to offer Lucina(Vengeance, Armthrift, Sol) aren't that good compared what Olivia gives(Vantage, Swordfaire, Lethality for Streetpass). I know most people overhype Vantage and think it's useless on Lucina, but it's generally better than Cordelia's skills(And honestly, Armthrift and Sol are way more overhyped). And Severa gets cheated out of Vantage to compliment her initial Vengeance.

Sumia doesn't honestly care, since her child's basically perfect. The best would probably be Gregor, since none of the other children really need him(Lon'qu can replace him for Laurent and Maribelle also doesn't care who she marries).

ChromxCordy would still be best for Lucina, since she already has Galeforce, DS+, Aether, Luna and Limit Break as a full setup, making mods the most important thing, not what skills are passed to her(Other than Galeforce). Lucina cannot V/V; Swordfaire gets outclassed by the other skills, Streetpass is kind of a joke so Lethality might as well as not count.

(no, of course I'm not bitter that the male endings in marriages are the default ones and their wives just get dragged along).

Yeah, that sucks, as does the fact that nearly all of the children are bound to their mothers and so every father gets forced into the mold of a generic support conversation (which is utterly surreal with some fathers like Henry), and at most two men have their own children. I would've liked to see more men with their own children, and thus more sibling pairs. It would be nice for male Morgan to actually have his own sibling conversations rather than just Lucina's (though I think he's VERY in character during those). Henry, Donnel, Kellam, Lon'Qu and Gaius had the potential for some awesomely quirky children. I can almost picture Kellam having a daughter freakishly similar to Mizore Shirayuki.

But I'm going off topic, now aren't I?

Another thing of note is that ChromxCordelia would be the only possible way (barring marrying a female avatar) for Lucina to get access to the mercenary/hero classes. Just thought that was kinda interesting.

Not being able to marry Chrom to Cordelia, Miriel, or Tharja has apparently ruined the hopes and dreams of a few Awakening players that I know.

Aether>-Faire, Astra is terrible, and Vantage isn't very good without 1-2 range braves. Procstacking Aether/Luna would be far better than running Astra/Luna w/ Swordfaire. And defense doesn't mean jack.

• 3 weeks later...

Chrom: I think Lucina on steroids would've been hilarious (+4 STR/+5 SPD with Panne), and Yarne with Rightful King and Luna at his disposal would be very amusing. Anna's mods aren't too hot, Cordy's already been discussed, and Nowi. . .ugh, that's a nasty mod clash. Don't get me started on Tharja (seriously, that class set. . .ugh) and Miriel (in the same boat as Tharja, on top of modifiers I don't want on Lucina).

Sumia: I really wanted her to go with Gregor for a Cynthia with Swordfaire and Bowbreaker, but alas. Ricken's also another shits and giggles choice (Bowbreaker, Aegis, and Lifetaker, can't go wrong, plus his modifiers make her lean towards magic).

I looked at the mods for Nowi. Jeez, those two do not get along with their stats. Also, Cherche!Lucina is interesting. She hits hard but can't do much else.

I'd love to see Severa use Aether. The only problem is the hair color... I can just imagine it. Severa? With blue hair? Never.

I'd also wanna see Stahl!Cynthia. Not because of stats, though. I never care about stats! I'd do it for the hair color. And plus, they seem really fitting together. Though I do care some about skills... and she'd get some things out of Stahl, but not anything I'd personally want.