X/Y Smogon Metagame Thoughts

ZemZem

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mega Camerupt is probably always going to run special sets, since Earth Power and Flamethrower/Fire Blast will be boosted further by Sheer Force. It's not like it has Flare Blitz or anything, though.

Fire/Ground with Rock coverage is one of the best offensive type combinations in the game. Only Flygon resists it I think.

Shame it doesn't get Ancientpower iirc

god Rock is such a shit offensive typing

Shame it doesn't get Ancientpower iirc

god Rock is such a shit offensive typing

If Rock is shit for being strong against 4, weak against 3 and absolutely nothing immune to it, I wonder what you think about the rest of the types.

Special Rock moves aren't very good when the best move is Power Gem but you imply that staples like Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Rock Blast and Stealth Rock aren't worth it.

tbh as a somewhat /regular/ player of UU I can't really see what kind of niche is Camerupt going to be able to fill to warrant a rise from NU to UU.

UU is home to the local titan of special walling, Blissey, which Camerupt isn't going to be able to kill anytime soon without a physical set, which takes away from the whole appeal of Sheer Force. If it's making UU, it's going to be shit-UU at best imo.

Camerupt suffers from a bad typing that doesn't really offer much (Water and Ground are two of the most exploitable weaknesses in the game). It's a terror under Trick Room, yes, but so are many other Pokemon (Aggron, Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, to name a few). TR is a hard playstyle to consistently pull off anyway in UU, with stuff like Haxorus (srsly how is this legal, LO Haxorus 2HKOes nearly everything), Infernape and Lucario running around...

Sharpedo, on the other hand, has always been pretty deadly as a late-game sweeper, though that's partially due to Speed Boost.

If Rock is shit for being strong against 4, weak against 3 and absolutely nothing immune to it, I wonder what you think about the rest of the types.

Special Rock moves aren't very good when the best move is Power Gem but you imply that staples like Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Rock Blast and Stealth Rock aren't worth it.

I kinda have the same problem with Rock that Poly does - Stealth Rock is amazing and all, but it has like next to no good attack moves. I'm like "When the hell is Rock gonna get a good attack move that isn't also inaccurate or exclusive to one Pokémon?!".

Edited by Levant Caprice

I dunno it has, like, three good moves (Stealth Rock is a support move).

Yeah, Stone Edge is cool and Rock Slide kicks ass in doubles, but myehhh.

Stone Edge and Rock Slide happen to be extremely easy to access thanks to TMs and Stealth Rock is a tutor move when it's around. What Rock doesn't have in diversity, it does make up in effectiveness on the field considering those moves are used fairly often depending on the metagame. Stone Edge may be inaccurate but that doesn't stop Focus Blast from being common because of its TM status.

Edited by Woodshooter

[spoiler=New PU team]

Rapidash @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drill Run
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Megahorn

Marowak @ Thick Club
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Bonemerang
- Knock Off

Luxray @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Volt Switch
- Wild Charge
- Ice Fang
- Superpower

Butterfree @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Drifblim @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Modest Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond
- Calm Mind

Swanna @ Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam

Luxray, Rapidash, and Butterfree surprisingly work rather well with each other.

What's a good moveset/build for Trevenant?

Hmmm...

Sitrus Berry

Harvest

Horn Leech

Leech Seed

Sub

Curse

(Curse can be substituted for WoW, Protect or Phantom Force)

Gotta break my no-posting thing for one thing

I need help on a Tyranitar build, I'd like it to be sort of a mixed offensive/defensive kind of thing, what nature, EV spread, and moves should I do for that? I have access to the egg moves stealth rock, pursuit, dragon dance, and outrage