WORLD CUP 2014

Parrhesia

They had 3 in extra time, yes. Before that, it was very much like a midfield game.

Tip: Don't listen to Robben when talking about sportsmanship.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Say what you will but Argentina had 5 shots on target for 3 for the Dutch. No matter how you look at it, neither team had an effective offense. Also, I got the idea of the Argentines going for the penalties from a post match interview with Robben, saying loosely translated "they wanted penalties more than we did"

yeah, we were very uncoordinated offense-wise.

ah yes arjen robben, noted manager of argentina's national football team

"saw it coming from a mile away"

-slight Dutch edge entire game

-Argentina has had a poor run

-game gets down to penalties

You really don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you? The reason the Argentinians won was because they lucked out. No disrespect to them but the Dutch team played as well as they did.

Friendly, aren't we? :P What I mean is the progression that both teams have shown. Holland probably had their best game against Spain. Then they struggled with Australia. Then they won the Mexico game again closely and on questionable referee calls in both directions. Then they were unable to score against Costa Rica in 120 minutes, and naturally, same against Argentina who probably aren't any weaker at defending. I'm not saying they were bad or something, but their misfortune was so in the air. On the other hand, Argentina... They were losing to Iran of all places, referee and Messi saved. 3 wins, 3 close wins, against 3 teams that probably weren't too strong. Then against a stronger team in Switzerland, 0-0 118 minutes long, then 1-0 and even almost gave it away just after that. 1-0 against Belgium again, but much earlier and in a more convincing fashion imo. And then the match today, well, I disagree with Holland having "the edge all game". It was balanced at best, but I felt like Argentina did in fact put in a bit more work for that win whereas I saw Holland defending most of the time. They lucked out against Iran, sure, but that is some weeks in the past now.

Secondly, you can't bring up the poor performance against Mexico and Costa Rica without talking about the poor performance the Argentines put on for the entirety of the tournament. The group phase performance was a joke, Switserland would have tied them if not for the incredible luck on their side, and they had to play the Belgians for penalties as well. Which, again, is far more luck based than skill based, no matter how much you lot want to pretend right now that it isn't.

Yes, they were both poor, aside from Holland wrecking Spain... and I think that may be a tribute to how bad Spain were.

Just like this match. I would edge the Argentines, but that was about that. Also, no they won against Switzerland and Belgium, no penalties. Holland however needed penalties against Costa Rica.

Penalties are luck. I've always said they are. You were lucky to get through against Costa Rica, despite the fact that Holland should have beat Costa Rica normally. (great performance by their keeper and defenders)

YOU WIN SOME YOU LOSE SOME

Edited by Tryhard

Dzemaili's shot on the pole was very close to bouncing into the goal in the Swiss - Argentine match extension is what I'm getting at wrt luck. Also whoops about the Belgians.

It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine to go against people immediately going well that was a completely obvious win etc when the match was actually very close.

edit: as an aside, I'll take Robben's impression over yours any day of the week, if it's about this particular thing.

Edited by Gyarados

Secondly, you can't bring up the poor performance against Mexico and Costa Rica without talking about the poor performance the Argentines put on for the entirety of the tournament. The group phase performance was a joke, Switserland would have tied them if not for the incredible luck on their side, and they had to play the Belgians for penalties as well. Which, again, is far more luck based than skill based, no matter how much you lot want to pretend right now that it isn't.

we played okay (okay at best. we missed tonnes of chances.) against a switzerland who totally parked the bus. benaglio saved them a fair couple of times. the one point we were lucky at was when Dzemaili hit the post. and we also dominated against belgium, in a match that didn't go to penalties (??).

it was a very close match, but you're just saying factually incorrect things now.

Edited by fuccboi

I didn't really see much of the Swiss vs Argentina game so I can't say.

It is rather annoying when people do that, from my perspective I thought this was 50/50 going into it - I had a feeling Germany would win, but I wasn't even sure about that.

It's a little disappointing that it didn't set up the Germany/Holland and Argentina/Brazil matches, though.

SORRY I'M SUPPORTING GERMANY IN THE FINAL.

edit: as an aside, I'll take Robben's impression over yours any day of the week, if it's about this particular thing.

if you say so, I'm just a nerd that watches.

we played okay against a switzerland who totally parked the bus. benaglio saved them a fair couple of times. the one point we were lucky at was when Dzemalli (spelling?) hit the post. and we also dominated against belgium, in a match that didn't go to penalties (??).

you got ninja'd lul

Edited by Tryhard

The comentators here were talking about how the Dutch goalie does not have a good record on PKs, and since the Dutch didn't have a substitution left to put in the other guy (sorry, don't recall their names exactly. Cele-something and Kruhl-ish?) they were at a definite disadvantage going into the shootout.

Romero played three (3) games all season for his club. Goalkeeper is not a strong position for Argentina, and on paper Holland definitely had the edge there.

But yeah Cillessen was... pretty gash in the shootout itself.

You really don't know what the hell you're talking about, do you? The reason the Argentinians won was because they lucked out. No disrespect to them but the Dutch team played as well as they did.

they won because their goalkeeper was good at saving penalties and yours was fucking awful, which isn't 'luck'

Edited by Parrhesia

they won because their goalkeeper was good at saving penalties and yours was fucking awful, which isn't 'luck'

This and 'having penalty takers that aren't gash' is the only two bits of skill (if you can call it that) that a shootout needs.

I've always hated it when matches have to be decided on penalties, but I think there is at least partly a luck side to it.

like that last penalty lol

Edit: NEUER VS ROMERO

Edited by Tryhard

what about argentina possibly winning in maracana

would be epic, specially since it would be MESSI lifting the goddamn trophy.

this ad says everything

My original predictions did have a Germany/Argentina final.

But right now I'm not feeling that confident about who I picked out to win it.

WHAT THE FUCK IS IT WITH YOUR GODDAMN PREDICTIONS >_>

would be epic, specially since it would be MESSI lifting the goddamn trophy

If Messi lifts that trophy, he WILL be the greatest player to have ever lived. He's won everything and won it multiple times too

Edited by Nightmare

If Messi lifts that trophy, he WILL be the greatest player to have ever lived. He's won everything and won it multiple times too

Nope nope nope.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

NEIN

NÃO

I think that saying they purposely held back after the first half is even worse tbh but it was kind of obvious regardless

I'm torn between Argentina and Germany.

I do have a bet on Germany to win the world cup but their odds were 6-1 so it's not like I'm getting a lot back.

But the fact that Argentina win could be the biggest troll I've seen in my lifetime. I've already seen some Brazilians supporting Germany. I think it would be hilarious.

Edited by Tryhard

Oi mah boi

waddup shizzle

also shit Hummels is awesome I love this guy it's a shame Reus couldn't make it to the WC. BVB was crippled this season

Edited by Яei Яei