Multiple Anima Ranks

Jotari

We should certainly see magic that's effective against against armored and mounted units. There's weapons for almost each physical type that does it. It's kind of ridiculous that magic has less diverse effects. They could easily throw out a tome designed to cook knights in their armor or a thunder tome designed to scare horses.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But physical classes (armors especially) are already basically weak to magic, what with their low resistance. Having an effective tome against armors would end up being broken.

But physical classes (armors especially) are already basically weak to magic, what with their low resistance. Having an effective tome against armors would end up being broken.

Hmm that's true but I still feel like it's something magic should have so it's not less diverse than axes. Magic doesn't even have an equivalent of the devil weapons. If Armors had some kind of buff that made them a viable unit being weak to a specific type of tome wouldn't be too big an issue. Or if there were Armors with high resistance that used magic themselves like Barons then a special tome would be useful. Of course you could just use a hammer either so I don't really know where I'm going with this train of thought.

Fliers weak to Wind magic

Nosferatu healing

Luna flat out ignoring res

Fe9/10 had Laguz races weak to elements

Thani

There was a variety of affects built into magic, it just varied from game to game

My main problem with the multiple anima ranks lies with the fact that the magic triangle is practically useless because mages in general have high resistance when compared to physical units who range from bad def to good def along with the lack of variety between the various types.

I honestly prefer it when they just merge fire/thunder/wind into just anima since it reduces the inventory clutter.

Fliers weak to Wind magic

Nosferatu healing

Luna flat out ignoring res

Fe9/10 had Laguz races weak to elements

Thani

There was a variety of affects built into magic, it just varied from game to game

I'm not saying magic as a whole is devoid of variety. Dark Magic is full of unique and interesting effects. It's just that aside from Dark Magic (and Wind which is basically magical bows) none of the other types seem as if they have anything unique or different about them. Fire magic has literally noting special about it except in one game where it is effective against one type of enemy unit. Compare that to axes which have weapons effective against armors, weapons with high crit, weapons with a chance to deal damage to the user, 1-2 range weapons and as of Awakening a weapon that can deal extra damage to fliers, axes that have better stats against other axes, axes that invert the weapon triangle, axes that use magic instead of strength, axes that deal multiple hits and that's all off the top of my head. There's probably half a dozen more unique axes out there that I can't remember right away. And that's just one weapon type. The least hey could do is give brave/killer versions of magic to the magic types.

The least hey could do is give brave/killer versions of magic to the magic types.

FE13: Celica's Gale/Waste & Superior Jolt/Ruin

I understand where you're coming from though. It feels like a throwback to the older FEs where you just had "Tome" (look at FE11 for crying out loud).

Personaly the anima triangle can return as long as it is varied enough to seem like copy paste of each other, aside from resire and thany light is basicly the same, what they could do is making something like status spells like Will-o-wisp who would cut physical units str in half, kinda like in pokemon.

I'd rather see a bigger DMG/HIT change between the elements themselves. +10 or so HIT barely makes a difference when even without supports, you're still displaying in the upper 90s with WTD

FE13: Celica's Gale/Waste & Superior Jolt/Ruin

I understand where you're coming from though. It feels like a throwback to the older FEs where you just had "Tome" (look at FE11 for crying out loud).

I was not forgetting Celica's Gale, Waste or Ruin when going on my mini rant (though admittedly I did forget Superior Jolt). Waste and Ruin are dark magic which has no trouble being unique. In fact Dark Magic is almost too unique. It's kind of monopolizing innovation in magic with it's various abilities. Celica's Gale is also wind magic which I admit isn't as problematic as fire thunder and light due to it's flier advantage.

Another thing I forgot to mention that is really in magic's favor of being unique is siege tomes. Most magic weapons devolve to throwing a fire ball at someone or throwing a stronger fire ball. At least in most games they have the option of throwing a fire ball from really far away which is a good thing.

(and also on my lists of axes one could add Vengeance and Wolf Beil).

Edited by Jotari