what do you do about a problem you know you have but you can't resolve?

i've had alot of dislike towards the casual audience lately and have been lashing out or rolling my eyes at that stuff whenever i hear about it(in any form of media really).

but i know this is wrong and petty, everyone is allowed to have their own opinions and thoughts even if they are different, but at the same time i can't help feeling like it, even if i don't lash out in my back on my mind i go 'fuckin casuals, ruining everything"

anyways, how would/do you handle problems that you are self aware of, but have a hard time overcoming them, should i go into more detail as to why i have this issue, would that help?

not sure if it belongs in serious discussion though, if it doesn't i'm sorry and please redirect it.

It can be hard. Especially if whatever is bothering you really makes your skin crawl. It would help if I knew a little more on why it is an issue to you.

Personally if I don't like something I either ignore it or laugh it off. The latter is really effective, I find, because it helps to lighten anger or slight annoyance. Ultimately I know I can't make people or certain circumstances change so there's no reason for me to fret about it. Getting super angry and lashing out usually never solves the problem. Anger isn't a "feel good" emotion and yelling at others would most likely make them mad, and the problem worse.

Another alternative is to simply move away from that site/page/topic and find something else to do that won't get the blood boiling.

Hmm, I want to tell you to stop letting yourself let other people impede on your enjoyment of things, but then again I'm not you. Ignoring people comes easier to some... Like AllAroundGamer9 said it may be best to just leave the situation be and tackle it later when your in the mood to tolerate such opinions. Something may be "ruined" in your mind but "enhanced" another's. And if it's a group of people reflecting a certain mindset you don't need to work yourself over disliking it. You can't change all of their opinions after all.

Honestly, if I were you, I would just find someone else who IS good about dealing with those kinds of frustrations, and follow their advice. Do you know anyone like that Makalov?

well no i don't, thats why i'm making the topic

and i don't want to change anyone esle's opinion, i want to get rid of that feeling of elitism.

First, ask yourself why you're mad. Then, ask yourself whether or not it's worth it to be mad over this. If it's something you can't change, it's better for your mental health to let it go. Here's a couple of bits of advice:

1. The world owes you nothing, no matter how much you think it should.

2. The Commandment To Chill Out (it's a neat little passage that I take at face value)

I have a tons of problem I cannot solve myself, range from trivial to deadly serious. My resolution? It's not really a resolution, but I just let them go. When they come for me, I will probably be destroyed but heck, I give no freak. Let it go ~ Let it go ~ it's the worst option ~ but life goes on ~ and I will survive (or not).

Btw, may be the world doesnt own me anything but I do owe the world $3000.

Edited by Char

i've had alot of dislike towards the casual audience lately

Tell yourself that's immature and arrogant. Which is actually the truth.

Edited by Chiki

Get over my/yourself, i am hard on myself and this probably won't work for other people, i wouldn't actually say this to anyone else as it's just insulting

In fact, I've learnt to embrace the casual side of things, from radio singles to video games. The dickhead complaining about how "Ke$ha/Katy Perry/etc. is a talentless whore who is only good for looks" is worse than the kid praising Creed or Nickleback.

What specifically are you getting mad over in this case?

Edited by Alb

is this your initial response?

i'm going to put this next part in a spoiler, because it's a pretty long description of my own personal problems.

hello, i am star. because my own romantic experience(using this loosely) destroyed my morale, my last bit of confidence in myself, hope for the future, trust in people, and forced me to decide to die alone, i have such a strong resentment toward people in such relationships to the point of disgust. i think to myself "why are THEY happy together when i am alone and miserable??" i avoid talking to people in relationships entirely, and i even begin to drift away from friends who show potential towards developing something like that with an interest. as for my crushed spirit, my self confidence is all gone. i disgust myself, and view myself as a sub-human; unfit to find happiness in this world. i'm downright ashamed to be seen and never want to leave my home again. if i do have to leave home, i may see beautiful girls and feel upset because i don't think i'll ever look great like they do. if that wasn't bad enough, i have to sit through long and lonely bus rides while these feelings sink in. friends have told me i'm just overreacting, but i don't have the mentality to be comfortable in my own skin. i am always likely to fall into a depression during the daytime, because the restroom i use has a mirror that is damn near impossible to avoid looking at without closing my eyes the whole time because the toilet faces the thing. at night time, i can just keep the lights off. lastly, my voice is terrible because puberty is cruel. i've somewhat remedied the issue through...2 whole years of vocally training myself, but i'm still a stuttering idiot at times. i usually just decide not to talk at all but AGAIN, i do have to talk to people in this world. ultimately, my personal problems cut me off from this world and i can't live like this forever.

you have a girlfriend...don't you chiki? i DARE you. if you have kids one day, i dare you to tell them "if you have a problem with the people around you, keep insulting yourself until the problem goes away". see how well that piece of advice does to aid people. because well, i'm not saying it will always be a wrong train of thought, but it can be really fucking destructive. that's coming from someone like me, who really isn't supposed to be alive at this point.

okay, now that's out of the way...so OP?

anyways, how would/do you handle problems that you are self aware of, but have a hard time overcoming them, should i go into more detail as to why i have this issue, would that help?

well...in general, if i don't think i can solve a problem, i succumb to it and accept it. that's usually what i have to do. as for actually solving the problem, it could help to really think over the little things that work against the problem so you can be more efficient in solving it. yeah i know this is not very good advice, but i can't get my own shit together. all i understand is that there are things we can exploit sometimes. i'm bring general here because i don't know much of anything about how your mind works in order to hate casuals...

Another suggestion is to try being a newbie. Pick something that looks interesting and complicated but that you know very little about. Try to get involved in it. Post on it's forums. Try to do something at least a little ambitious involving it. Perhaps that will help, and you'll learn something anyway.

If that doesn't work, and neither does anything else you try, try this as a placeholder until you can figure out a solution. If i have such a problem, and i can not fix it no matter how hard i try, i attempt to mitigate it's impact. In this case, try to act as if you do not hate newbies, even if you really do. This includes not posting if you can not find a polite way to say something. Of course, this will not fix the actual problem, but it is better than nothing.

yeah a good amount of people here are making some sense, some others are just repeating what i already know.

like i am ashamed by this, i know its immature, but i haven't been able to stop it, which worry's me greatly.

now specifically are you getting mad over is well, alot of stuff. let me just list off afew.

DmC, Other M, Mass Effect 3, Awakening. these are examples of stuff i feel has been tainted by that 'we want the call of duty audience", franchises that i loved, reduced to shells of what they've became.

the thing with awakening is even worse for me because unlike the other three on that list, its has alot more positive opinions on it and actually sold super mega well, which also brings up my fear of it becoming something i really don't want to be (etc. a waifu simular without any real strategy or replay value).

also unlike the other three examples, where i got into them late into their life span, i've been with fire emblem as soon as i was aware of its existence overseas (2003) so i've been with this franchise for over 11 years or so, its gonna be really hard and painful to say goodbye to it if the worst possible outcome does happen.

i know this is all petty, childish, immature, and that i should kill myself or something for being this butt blasted, but i can't help it, i have not seen any benefits to casuals or trying to get the casual audience, which is where alot of my hate comes from, i mean its hard to look at things from someone like myself's point of view because to most people, because most people are casuals, i'm a butt mad old man who wishes for the good old days that people don't seem to get whats so good about them.

it's easy to get over when you understand "casual" gamers don't exist. gamers have different tastes and amounts of time that they're willing to put into it, sure, but i think someone who is spending 30+ hrs per week playing video games, for no reason other than it being a hobby, has a problem. or at least that person might have a problem. i think it's unwise to give that sort of behavior a positive connotation with "hardcore gamer." likewise with a negative connotation to the other, "casual" gamer. we're gamers.

if you're talking about genres, then don't. no one gives a shit, and it doesn't matter what genres people play. does playing nothing but 80-hr turn-based rpgs make a person a more hardcore gamer than someone else?

what, exactly, do "casuals" ruin?

as for overcoming problems of which are not possible: either fail, fail, fail until you quit or succeed, or learn to live with it. an example:

i'm in a relatively uninteresting earth science class that doesn't really require from me any of my strong suits (mainly, math and physics), and is instead requiring me to remember fucking everything without any sort of practice material or homework assignments. i'm just...supposed to store it somewhere in my brain. this is hard for me because i don't remember things all that well, and i'm also not terribly interested in the material in the first place.

so, my solution is to study more than i'd like to in order to hammer all of this information into my brain.

obligatory:

cd3.jpg

Edited by Phoenix Wright

what, exactly, do "casuals" ruin?

OP probably doesn't want his long loved franchises being "dumbed down", made easier, or taking a more appealing direction to the general public so that more sales can be made. Now I haven't played Awakening because I don't have access to a 3DS, but using Dragon Age as an example, 1 was really good in my eyes, had a fair amount of difficulty, could have easily been explored further and was a throwback to Baldur's Gate, but the 2nd game basically revamped some of the story as well as gameplay into a button mashing God of War style game which you didn't really have to think through in fights with.

I could use FE:RD as an example, though. I had been hyped for it for quite a while, and it's release date in PAL regions was something like 1 or 2 years after the rest of the English speaking world. I liked it, sure, but I felt like the later stages of the game weren't as fleshed out and given much thought story-wise, stats/character wise map design wise.

OP probably doesn't want his long loved franchises being "dumbed down", made easier, or taking a more appealing direction to the general public so that more sales can be made. Now I haven't played Awakening because I don't have access to a 3DS, but using Dragon Age as an example, 1 was really good in my eyes, had a fair amount of difficulty, could have easily been explored further and was a throwback to Baldur's Gate, but the 2nd game basically revamped some of the story as well as gameplay into a button mashing God of War style game which you didn't really have to think through in fights with.

I could use FE:RD as an example, though. I had been hyped for it for quite a while, and it's release date in PAL regions was something like 1 or 2 years after the rest of the English speaking world. I liked it, sure, but I felt like the later stages of the game weren't as fleshed out and given much thought story-wise, stats/character wise map design wise.

oh hey its someone who understands my plight thank you very much, this is entirely what i mean by 'casualized"

i don't think anyone would really want this to happen to anything they enjoy, and i can't see why they would either.

I'll be honest, I don't mind it because if I play an RPG I don't have the hours to put in for a mediocre story with your typical love story thrown in somewhere. I've only noticed a large amount of casualizing within the RPG realm of gaming, which I don't even touch nowadays simply because the stories aren't innovative enough to draw me in. My interest for strategy games such as Tropico or Europa Universalis has quadrupled in the last couple of years as I've found reading books supplementing the need for character development, stories and the such.

Maybe you should look towards new genres? It's sad to see your franchises die out, but lets be honest, companies really do need to casualize themselves in order to keep up with the giant franchises now. Fire Emblem in particular had a very good run for ~23 years? Longer than most. The quality was upheld for the majority of the time despite not being overly successful.

Edited by Alb

Pardon me while I toss in my opinion having only read the first post.

When I have a problem I know I can't resolve, I take comfort in understanding it. If I know what the problem is, why it's a problem for me, and why it won't be resolved, it often makes it easier for me to deal with it. At that stage, I can decide what to do about it. I walk away, if I can. Otherwise, it's a matter of accepting the situation for what it is and making the best of it.

oh hey its someone who understands my plight thank you very much, this is entirely what i mean by 'casualized"

i don't think anyone would really want this to happen to anything they enjoy, and i can't see why they would either.

There's still hope that FE 14 could change all of this. Be a good strategy game with little pandering and a decent plot.

The world does not revolve around you and your tastes. Things change, so you either change with it, take over the company so that they make stuff that makes you happy, or find something that does make you happy. Complaining about it on an Internet forum accomplishes little.

First, ask yourself why you're mad. Then, ask yourself whether or not it's worth it to be mad over this. If it's something you can't change, it's better for your mental health to let it go. Here's a couple of bits of advice:

1. The world owes you nothing, no matter how much you think it should.

2. The Commandment To Chill Out (it's a neat little passage that I take at face value)

Or theres this.

Ósviðr maðr The unwise man waketh all night,

vakir um allar nætr thinking of this and that --

ok hyggr at hvívetna tosses, sleepless, and tired at morn;

þá er móðr nor lighter for that his load.

er at morni kømr

alt er vil sem var

In other words, worrying about junk you cant do anything about and is kinda useless to worry about anyway, is going to not just waste your time but waste your energy. Its just too exhausting to worry about something like whos buying video games and liking them. Or how the devs are making them to sell to a larger audience. Its also rather selfish. Why would anyone be upset that something they like is also liked by a larger demographic? I see this crap with the A Song of Ice And Fire fandom and they claim the Game of Thrones show "dumbs things down because viewers are morons" and its actually rubbish. They also dont understand fully how adaptation works but thats a different issue. One can still enjoy the things one loves, even when others enjoy them.

i know this is all petty, childish, immature, and that i should kill myself or something for being this butt blasted, but i can't help it, i have not seen any benefits to casuals or trying to get the casual audience, which is where alot of my hate comes from, i mean its hard to look at things from someone like myself's point of view because to most people, because most people are casuals, i'm a butt mad old man who wishes for the good old days that people don't seem to get whats so good about them.

No, you shouldnt like, kill yourself, mate. Being this butt blasted (lol i like this term) about it is kinda silly when you really pull yourself back and look at the Big Picture though. Like, i used to worry about stuff like that when it came to music. But its like i said above, a waste of time and energy. I used to get a little angry at the regurgitated film remakes Hollywood would pop out and i still dont like that very much. But i stopped worrying so much about it and i can enjoy the films i do like. Cuz fuck yeah, Hammer films is back in action! Look at the positives. Awakening may be not to your liking, but the FE series will continue to be made because it was successful. Because of the latest DmC game, we might see a resurgence of classic DmC (i hope so. New!Dante is kinda lame). Etc and so forth.

Being concerned about "what the casuals are doing" is just...not worth it, man. And also, you need to understand that being a "casual" isnt a bad thing at all. Im pretty much a casual gamer compared to a lot of people on this site. Theres a lot of games out there i havent played and may not play. In time, you'll probably understand this. I also feel like your anger about this stems from insecurity. /shrug

*hands Chiki a mirror*

<.<

It depends on what the problem is ofcourse. I haven't had many problems where I couldn't do something about them, but for the other problems I just immediately accept the worst outcome and try to deal with that in whatever ways I can. For your case, I'd try to find new games to fill the void. There is also the chance that it'll work out in your favor and Fire EMblem will continue being the game you want it to be.

Of course nobody wants something they like to change into something they do not, but the general public doesn't really ruin anything, does it? It is one thing to dislike a game becoming much more streamlined, but entirely different to hate a group of consumers for buying something they enjoy, which seems to be the common reaction to popular mainstream titles. It's not like the videogame companies owe anyone a specific kind of game. It's a profit-driven enterprise, and profits are greater when more people buy a title.

That's just the way capitalism works. Getting angry at people for buying what they want isn't going to change anything.