Did this series affect your vocabulary?

Logience

It's probably negatively affected my vocabulary on some points, I do not think of the right things at all when I hear Myrmidon and Troubadour. It might have helped me remember the precise definition of Incandescent which before I probably would have just used interchangeably with glow until Radiant Dawn put the two words in front of me. Apotheosis would be another one as people pointed out but most of the other examples here I would have been aware of already.

Lots of weapon varieties (zanbatou, shamshir, estoc, dao, and probably others I can't think of off the top of my head), which is nice because historical weaponry is a topic which interests me. Also, "halidom".

Also, lance. I used to always think of lances as the big jousting things; now I think of them more generally.

They are though. FE's broader definition is an outright misuse.

This series has Not affected my vocabulary. The one thing I can say for sure is I didn't know vulnerary was a word, but it's not like I fucking use it in real life. Poultice sounds better anyway.

Edited by Parrhesia

Lots of weapon varieties (zanbatou, shamshir, estoc, dao, and probably others I can't think of off the top of my head), which is nice because historical weaponry is a topic which interests me. Also, "halidom".

I didn't know Fire Emblem had an estoc. I looked it up. Looks like they appear in TearRing Saga. I guess that's close enough. I guess.

They are though. FE's broader definition is an outright misuse.

This series has Not affected my vocabulary. The one thing I can say for sure is I didn't know vulnerary was a word, but it's not like I fucking use it in real life. Poultice sounds better anyway.

You're missing out! Not really, I can't imagine anyone find a sensible use for it in any modern context. We must bring it back to life!

Learned the difference between "calvary" and "cavalry". Thanks, FE!

Learned the existence of "Calvary." Thanks, Eclipse!

Like Wist said, I don't think I knew the word vulnerary. I also might have learned repatriation from FE9.

• 1 month later...

I think I learned what the word "coup d'etat" meant when I first played FE6.

Man, they repeated that word like 10 times at the start of one chapter. Fire emblem wants us to learn french!

I learned Spoony Bar-- oh wait Fire Emblem.

I didn't learn anything new from FE. Actually, FE13's Maribelle taught me a lot of noble speak like "craven cur", " base born", and "den of iniquity". The writing for her is pretty great.

gonna put it out there that this technically was a necro and please don't do that, but the margin was small enough that i'm going to leave it open

As far as vocabulary, not really, except for vulnerary and perhaps a few others that I'll never use anyway but the writing for some characters is good and has affected my speech in subtle ways before so I'd say yes.

Now that I think about it I've always wanted to use "Pick a God and pray"