petition to delete serious discussion

Darros

My jimmies got kidnapped and shipped off to an undisclosed location in Africa over the UCSB shooting, not anyone in this thread. :P:

Was jimmy fallon one of those jimmies? I can't stand that guy

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My jimmies got kidnapped and shipped off to an undisclosed location in Africa over the UCSB shooting, not anyone in this thread. :P:

might be too much of a personal question, but do you know anyone directly affected (well, not the victims, but others directly affected) from this incident?

reading posts on facebook, what's getting my jimmies in a bunch is most certainly the volume of posts wherein people argue that the attacker is 100% evil (not true), or that men as a whole think they're entitled to women (not true), etc (probably things that i feel are not true). just...emotionally charged posts that serve to perpetuate the anger and continually divide our uc community as a whole instead of coming together. maybe even perhaps finding a way to stop this from ever happening again. i don't know, maybe i feel like people are talking about the wrong things? i'm still really coming to terms with what happened down there...

my friends from ucsb seem to be together in mourning, though. united, in a way. i think this is more helpful behavior after a tragedy.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Was jimmy fallon one of those jimmies? I can't stand that guy

lmao!!!! Nah im actually not a fan of that Jimmy.

might be too much of a personal question, but do you know anyone directly affected (well, not the victims, but others directly affected) from this incident?

reading posts on facebook, what's getting my jimmies in a bunch is most certainly the volume of posts wherein people argue that the attacker is 100% evil (not true), or that men as a whole think they're entitled to women (not true), etc (probably things that i feel are not true). just...emotionally charged posts that serve to perpetuate the anger and continually divide our uc community as a whole instead of coming together. maybe even perhaps finding a way to stop this from ever happening again. i don't know, maybe i feel like people are talking about the wrong things? i'm still really coming to terms with what happened down there...

my friends from ucsb seem to be together in mourning, though. united, in a way. i think this is more helpful behavior after a tragedy.

I actually didnt know anyone who was directly affected. (that i know of) Its the motive behind the attack thats just kinda kidnapped my jimmies. As an owner of lady parts, this guy's manifesto kinda hit too close to home, ya know? Plus theres a lot of people ignoring the real cause of this problem and that puts more distance between me and my jimmies.

Sorry to hear you have friends who were affected by this. My condolences to them and their community. They need it. They should be left to mourn and recover.

one thing people don't seem to understand when writing in the serious discussion is, they're not always right. hard to believe, i know. but your views aren't written in stone for everyone to believe in (cough cough religion). so instead of blocking out anything that isn't your ignorant opinion, maybe you should listen to what the other person has to say. try to understand where they're getting at. u might just learn something. ​I'm a bit drunk right now

^dismissing most opinions as ignorant is also a part of the problem, brah. Instead of assuming the opinion is ignorant, listen/read it first and then come to a conclusion. If its opposing your own opinion, it does not always mean that opinion is ignorant.

Loki's argument is good and all, but how can the house god of chaos put an end to antifeminism or whatever exactly is going on to cause certifiable nutjobs to kill people after getting turned down on dates.

Gun control mandates are a quicker fix while other changes to media and such become addressed

Loki's argument is good and all, but how can the house god of chaos put an end to antifeminism or whatever exactly is going on to cause certifiable nutjobs to kill people after getting turned down on dates.

Gun control mandates are a quicker fix while other changes to media and such become addressed

Sadly i do not possess that power. All i can do is do what i can with my own mindset and those around me (the best i can). But a BUNCH of people who agree can probably make a difference, at least in spreading awareness. Feminism doesnt always cry wolf. I should know when things cry wolf. I birthed one. Its helping separate the bullshit from the real deals and letting people know whats up. The media needs to help and luckily, we live in the age of the interwebz.

There seems to be the opinion that a lot of people in sd are only trying to show everyone how wrong they are etc. and I post in sd so I have this small feeling that this opinion applies to me.

oh gosh I hope it doesn't

A lot of times when I post in sd I'm just trying to give me two cents but people question what you say to DEATH. If you disgree witht hem, they'll keep badgering you constantly and I feel like they don't even read half of what you say. I swear I repeat my self 10x in those threads.

Edited by Fluorspar

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ flex your dongers ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

What a thread. I'd analyze, but that would cause people to respond and I don't want to drag myself into the discussion. I will say, though, that I think some people have an unfairly negative view of some of the discussions that happen in Serious Discussion here. Sometimes a completely valid topic can make someone slightly uncomfortable and, therefore, make them believe it's just a bunch of shit posting.

And I will be keeping up, so be sure to follow the rules (not that that has been a problem in here yet).

I swear I repeat my self 10x in those threads.

If you've said all you need to say, just don't respond anymore. I've done that plenty of times and felt much better for it.

Sometimes a completely valid topic can make someone slightly uncomfortable and, therefore, make them believe it's just a bunch of shit posting.

When i refer to shit posting in there, i usually refer to actual shit posts. Like one liners and almost fftf style posts and stuff like that. Theres a shocking amount of that. And Chiki tends to shitpost, deal with it.

i actually don't think this; in fact, i thought you were talking about that topic that i made because i disagreed with what eclipse said about hatred being a choice. i made it pretty clear in that case that i wasn't interested in coming to some compromised conclusion.

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

i can't read your position because your position is utterly incomprehensible. or rather, i can read your position, but i am totally unconvinced. you think that starting a discussion for the sake of promoting one's opinion is not "wise." why is it not wise? i think it's perfectly acceptable to start a discussion for this purpose, because not only are you informing others about a contrary opinion and challenging their beliefs, but you also might learn more about what you're arguing against.

(i'm glad to know that at least i am consistent in this position: i stated this viewpoint previously in http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=47156&page=4#entry3030399)

i can just as easily claim that you lack the wisdom to understand the value of expressing opinions purely for the sake of engaging other people - it appears that i don't need any evidence to prove this assertion. but i am not actually making it, because it's a poor claim.

you didn't answer the question. rather, you accused me of several things that i'm not terribly guilty of while acting in the exact same manner that you claim to abhor. i don't doubt that i come off as elitist (god forbid i act like i know what i'm talking about!), but i challenge you to find evidence in SD that i regularly engage in shaming my opponents.

the issue that i have with this chiki pillorying is that even when he is not being an overt asshole, people seem to think that he is purely because he is being blunt. (see http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=47156&page=3#entry3028596)

You think that it is good, but what is the profit for other people? What do the people who read what you have to say gain from your hearing yourself talk?

I say that it is not wise because those who read it gain nothing of value. They do not walk away better off than they were before they read it. They do not walk away wiser than before they read it. They do not walk away feeling they did something productive. They walk away with what you think and insight into your arrogance and self-absorption. ('You/your' refers to the hypothetical subject, not you in particular.)

I've been saying that elitism itself shames others. Simply speaking from the mindset of elitism causes your wording to be derisive and dismissive. The elitist automatically assumes that the other side is wrong and looks for flaws alone. Good points are ignored in the search for reasons to call people out. The more mistakes someone makes, the more derisive the elitist becomes. It can get bad enough that they directly shame others who have valid points amidst mistakes. In the end, the elitists's only goal is to point out mistakes in others' arguments. They do not read things to gain information, only to counter it.

You might know this as confirmation bias. This is what makes elitism so harmful to critical thought. No one is above cognitive bias. It is impossible to overcome it.

I admit I do not have specific examples where you yourself have shamed others. I took it you were defending yourself and not just the idea of elitist people. I should not have made it personal either way. I apologize.

I have no desire to debate this and laughed at your offer of another thread because I am not debating to debate. I am trying to get you to recognize why people don't like your behavior, and others in that section. I am not trying to put on a show. I am not putting my views out there for the sake of argument. I want you to read what I am saying, look for things that you can agree with, and take them to heart. I am doing this for your benefit, not mine. I am posting for you.

Please reconsider how I, not you, will profit from your reply before posting another one. Or just don't post. There should be plenty of material here for you to analyze why people are laughing at you.

Edited by Makaze

i love jimmy fallon if only because of the roots. have never watched his show lol

The Roots are wonderful and his show is hilarious.

Also Esme you're the best ily

I saw Fallon on SNL once (just once though), and not only was he cracking up so much as to be unable to say his lines for a good [sic] of time, and not only was he cracking up so much that he was making more than one of the other dudes on the show crack up, but nothing the man said made me even smile

I'd like to think I am not that hard an audience, Jimmy Fallon

I saw Fallon on SNL once (just once though), and not only was he cracking up so much as to be unable to say his lines for a good [sic] of time, and not only was he cracking up so much that he was making more than one of the other dudes on the show crack up, but nothing the man said made me even smile

I'd like to think I am not that hard an audience, Jimmy Fallon

Yeah he really doesnt make me chortle at all.

there is a contradiction that comes in defending someone who is guilty of the same offense that was committed against her.

oh oops, i kinda just skimped one page of this thread and responded because someone linked this thread but anyway...it doesn't make it okay