petition to delete serious discussion

Darros

If you honestly thought that people were ultimately serious about this thread's proposition, then...thats not our problem.

you don't think that anyone dislikes serious discussion for reasons stated in this topic?

look, i'm well aware that this is not a serious board, but it's not uncommon for people to put forward their own opinions under the guise of them being "not serious" because it's easier to retract them that way.

A thing is a thing, you are arguing a tautology. That thing only has value if it offers some kind of reward. Serious discussion without resolution is serious discussion. I never disputed that.

But it's worthless.

i would happily debate this with you in a different topic.

Edited by dondon151

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't think that anyone dislikes serious discussion for reasons stated in this topic?

look, i'm well aware that this is not a serious board, but it's not uncommon for people to put forward their own opinions under the guise of them being "not serious" because it's way easier to retract them that way.

Oh my god.

iJHWQpu8SMBZv.gif

Edited by Makaze

oh god my sides

indeed.

look, i'm well aware that this is not a serious board, but it's not uncommon for people to put forward their own opinions under the guise of them being "not serious" because it's way easier to retract them that way.

*snicker* Im not laughing at the Obama is a terrorist thread. Im not laughing at the idea of getting rid of the SD board. (cuz we shouldnt. Ive seen what happens when theres no section for that kind of talk on a forum and its messy and awful) Im laughing at your joyless reaction to this whole thread. And your needless desire to "be right" and "enlightened" when in truth, you are just looking the fool.

Oh my god.

iJHWQpu8SMBZv.gif

Right?

I largely assume your forum persona just to be you roleplaying Loki.

Im actually legitimately amused by dondon's reaction to this. Like fucking dying of laughter. Holy crap. The butthurt, its just too funny man!

i would happily debate this with you in a different topic.

This edit cannot afford to go unnoticed.

I'm actually crying.

Thank you.

i am actually more bothered by the desire to delete serious discussion than i am by most of the topics in serious discussion.

EDIT: there seems to be a mentality that laughing at the notion of serious discussion is a cool thing to do; some members treat it as a form of entertainment at the expense of others, while others appear to think that everything in there is stupid. this is troubling. the reaction to the "is obama a terrorist?" thread is a great example - it's a perfectly valid question, but to some users, there's something funny about it. i'm sorry, but i don't see it.

for me it's not so much that as it is...eh...when people start using personal attacks in a discussion about politics or whatever. it's insanity

Im actually legitimately amused by dondon's reaction to this. Like fucking dying of laughter. Holy crap. The butthurt, its just too funny man!

don't worry, i'm also quite amused that you always exaggerate your opinion with image macros.

for me it's not so much that as it is...eh...when people start using personal attacks in a discussion about politics or whatever. it's insanity

i actually don't think that many people are guilty of this, but if you walk into SD with a poorly substantiated opinion, you do it at your own risk...

Edited by dondon151

i actually don't think that many people are guilty of this, but if you walk into SD with a well substantiated opinion, you do it at your own risk...

Fixed that for you.

Most of the time personal attacks are called out for the fallacies that they are, from what I remembered. Granted, I haven't been visiting as religiously since I've had less time for foruming as a whole of late, but...

Hmm... maybe it is time I deal with some unfinished business.

fftf circlejerk v. sd circlejerk

who will reign supreme?!

edit: the amount of times i've indirectly been called an idiot in this thread is astounding.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Fixed that for you.

Seriously though, the holier-than-thou attitude some users (hai dondon) have in that board are the reasons why people loathe it to begin with. Theres always "those guys" in an SD forum who think they know everything and come off as pretty goddamn insufferable. So people stop posting reasonably. Cuz seriously, if everyone who posted in that forum were Rehab (in terms of how to argue), more people would be willing to go in there and post. Instead we get Chiki.

So yeah, theres one reason why people dont like that forum. Like i said, its peanuts compared to the SD forums ive seen where shit gets legit disgusting.

fftf circlejerk v. sd circlejerk

who will reign supreme?!

edit: the amount of times i've indirectly been called an idiot in this thread is astounding.

UR AN IDIOT

ONLY A REAL MAN WOULD CALL YOU OUT LIKE THIS

(seriously though, I don't think we've ever spoken so fuck if I know...haha, seriously...serious discussion...)

Edited by Refa

I'm sure Serious Discussion would work much better if people weren't so zealous about their opinions and bringing up intentionally controversial topics. The notion that Obama is a terrorist, for example, is a title so ludicrous it is bound to start zealous argument. That isn't serious at all, that's what online magazines and tabloids do to get more readers.

The point of serious discussion is resolution. Without achieving the end goal, there is no point. It is a waste of time unless you get off on telling other people they are wrong ad infinitum.

To be honest I wouldn't post at all if I expected to really resolve something, a ton of my posts (in serious discussion) are just me going "I've heard" or "I feel like __," even when I know/assume I have irreconcilable differences with whoever else is posting or when I think I'd just plain lose if this was debate club. I just try to be serious and fair about what I'm talking about, and put what I think out there/try to explain myself. It's made posting in SD a lot less nerve-wracking than when my socially-challenged butt first looked at the board in, what, 2009? at least.

(yeah I know I don't always succeed at that stuff ty)

Edited by Rehab

UR AN IDIOT

ONLY A REAL MAN WOULD CALL YOU OUT LIKE THIS

(seriously though, I don't think we've ever spoken so fuck if I know...haha, seriously...serious discussion...)

OH YA WELL UR A POOPY HEAD

I'm sure Serious Discussion would work much better if people weren't so zealous about their opinions and bringing up intentionally controversial topics. The notion that Obama is a terrorist, for example, is a title so ludicrous it is bound to start zealous argument. That isn't serious at all, that's what online magazines and tabloids do to get more readers.

it serves as gr8 b8 m8.

Honestly, there shouldn't be any problem taking a step back to examine claims that seem on-face to be ludicrous in a calm and collected manner. That would practically fit the moniker of serious to a T.

To be honest I wouldn't post at all if I expected to really resolve something, a ton of my posts are just me going "I've heard" or "I feel like __" even when I know/assume I have irreconcilable differences with whoever's posting or when I think I'd just plain lose if this was debate club. I just try to be serious and fair about what I'm talking about, and put what I think out there/try to explain myself.

(yeah I know I don't always succeed at that ty)

Why bother if the other side isn't going to take your view seriously? Their entire reason for being there is to argue against you in any way they can.

Why bother if the other side isn't going to take your view seriously? Their entire reason for being there is to argue against you in any way they can.

Informing uninformed 3rd parties. A discussion doesn't solely serve those actively discussing.

The other issue with this forum's SD board is the moderation isnt what it should be. No offense to the mods, i understand cuz modding a forum like that is the sweaty ballsack of Ymir and no one who wishes to keep sane wants to mod a forum like that. But theres not a lot of crackdown on shit posts over there so yeah. (or a thread is locked prematurely, resulting in a seemingly knee-jerk reaction.)

In other words, the forum looks kind of neglected and when attention is given to it by moderator action, its lacking or too heavy handed.