General music discussion/sharing/recommendation thread

peener weener

r&b musician Jeremih's "Late Nights" mixtape was one of my favorite releases of 2012, and it looks like he's finally putting out his "Late Nights" album... soon. we think. here's a song from it. dude is a one-dude hit parade
[spoiler=Jeremih - oui]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtcP0PFifpE

the goddess Grimes has a new album coming out nov 6th

happy to report that ^ is v good. one of the standout tracks for me is "Kill V. Maim," which is ideal jump-around-in-your-underwear music
[spoiler=Grimes - Kill V. Maim]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooWkA_-lOHA

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O'Brother, which is my one true love, premiered a new song like... a week or so ago. Needless to say, I'm pretty enamored by it as of late, and here's hoping the new record will drop SOON.

[spoiler=O'Brother - Bloodlines]

Also, I checked out Grimes' Visions, and I can confirm that it is pretty good. Her vocal style will probably take a few listens to get acquainted with though, depends really, but I think it's worth a shot. I'll have to take a listen to her new album sometime soon.

Edited by Disinnocence

• 3 weeks later...

been listening to a lot of ancient (1970's anno domini) german bands lately. like Popol Vuh. is there an album prettier than Hosianna Mantra?
[spoiler=popol vuh]

it looks like he's finally putting out his "Late Nights" album... soon. we think.

yo it took 3 years but tonight dude actually finally dropped this thing. after frank ocean delayed his album so he could watch dragonball z with his 80s bmw or whatever i never thought i could love again. so happy i'll even forgive the j cole feature. ty jeremih

critics' end-of-the-year music lists are starting to come out (a month before the actual end of the year, per usual, tsk). my favorite albums i heard this year were tpab, carrie & lowell, and art angels, but i've already posted about them. so i'll shout out some other stuff i liked in 2015

this jamie xx song. if kendrick is a Rap Godâ„¢, this was my favorite thing made by mortals this year. young thug is a treasure

courtney barnett, straya's finest export, put out a great debut album. funny, sarcastic singer-songwriter. reminds me of liz phair

my favourite album this year is by far tpab. i mean shit, i loved carrie & lowell, and i loved divers by joanna newsom, but nothing even comes close to the sheer number of times i've listened to tpab. lmao @ how it's been at the top of every list i've seen though

other shit i've enjoyed thoroughly this year:

[spoiler=Miguel - Wildheart]

this record suffered from imo a less interesting b side though

[spoiler=FKA Twigs - M3L155X]

lp1 was good but this one's better. it's on the level of her older eps, maybe better. good shit

[spoiler=hitorie - mono-chrono]

pretend this is 劇場街 aka the best song on the ep (which i couldnt find on youtube) and not トーキーダンス aka the most boring song on the album (which is also the only song i could find on youtube ugh)

Edited by fuccboi

Time to throw my shit into the mix here.

First off, Of Monsters and Men put out a new album a few months ago. I highly recommend you all listen to it here. The one thing is that it is kind of dark and depressing which is strange when you consider the band but it still is excellent.

I know I mentioned Purity Ring before but if you enjoy Grimes, it's another Canadian electronic based group to check out. Their second album (Another Eternity) was fucking brilliant and I don't listen to electronica.

My next finding is Santigold. Santogold is an excellent album and her style really grows on you as you keep listening to her.

That's all for now.

Well, I was going to post a list of my favorite albums this year, but I'm working on listening to some records I never got to (To Pimp a Butterfly, Departure Songs, Laurestine, Deep in the Iris, etc.); although I will say I really enjoyed Black Wing's ... Is Doomed, BtBaM's Coma Ecliptic, and Gazpacho's Molok to name a few. I'll try to get it up before the end of the year or something.

Animals as Leaders anyone?
Also the Porcupine Tree and Periphery

Periphery's new record was probably my favorite by them (overall. No song beats Racecar still). People may complain about how it's more accessible or Spencer's vocals, but I felt Juggernaut was a group effort more so than their first two.

And I'm really hoping that we get a new Porcupine Tree record some time soon. As much as I love Steven's solo work, I'd just like to hear PT at least one more time. Or maybe we could get some more Bass Communion.

Anyway, here's a song I've been jamming a lot to lately.

[spoiler=Balance and Composure - Reflection]

• 4 weeks later...

the big news today is that LCD Soundsystem - one of the best acts from recent years, all 3 of their albums were great - will be reuniting to put out a new album in 2016. so that's yet another upcoming release to get excited about (Frank Ocean, Kanye, RTJ3, Swans, Vampire Weekend, Chance the Rapper, Radiohead, Japandroids, et al). iono maybe some of those will come out when they're supposed to ??

something else i'm looking forward to in 2016 is the new Sky Ferreira album. her debut was one of my favorite things from 2013; it was weirdly underappreciated, considering how many great pop songs it had
[spoiler=Sky Ferreira]

the big news today is that LCD Soundsystem - one of the best acts from recent years, all 3 of their albums were great - will be reuniting to put out a new album in 2016.

i knew they couldn't have all just flown around the world to record just that christmas track

it was actually a christmas miracle

kanye's doing that thing he did for mbdtf where he puts out some kind of music every friday, starting this week (huh? you're saying it started last week? uh, hmm, p sure you're lying to my face rn??). He Himself is fine on this but ty$ is def the standout here. oh and kendrick hops on at the end
https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/real-friends-no-more-parties-in-la-snipped

that new kendrick track is fucking fire man

Has Stephen Wilton even promised a new PTree? Pretty sure they were done for good. I still need to hear The Incident myself...

Apparently Steven said that if PT were ever to get back together again, it would be a side-project. Tbh, I don't really think will make much of a difference either way, considering the sheer amount of projects he has going. He also said that he's never ruled out getting PT back together too, so, I'm gonna guess we might get a new album sometime in the future. The Incident is pretty good, but probably not up to par with previous release. Maybe since it's suppose to be a "one track album" type thing, you have less memorable songs within since it's supposed to be listened to the whole way through.

Don't have anything in particular to share, so here's my favorite Sunn O))) album...

[spoiler='Sunn O)))/Boris - Altar]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFLgJq1efU&index=34&list=WL

Edited by Disinnocence

[spoiler=Low]

there are so many albums i love, but Low is a special one that pulled me out of a rut and changed my life for the better. never got the chance to tell him. its instrumental passages have really been hitting me today (probably for sappy "it's like he's not there, but it feels like he is" reasons), this track in particular. thank you, David.

Explosions in the Sky announced a new album titled "The Wilderness," and premiered a new track "Disintegration Anxiety." A little disappointing that the songs will be shorter, but the new track is pretty cool, so let's hope for the best.

[spoiler=Explosions in the Sky - Disintegration Anxiety]

Sometimes I don't even know why I post here anymore.

Favourite EitS song has to be First Breath After Coma from The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place. But that band just knows how to build albums. They're even better than Radiohead when it comes to pure album building and Radiohead is usually considered one of the best out there (listen to Kid A to see what I mean).

The start to this new song is pretty cool. I'm in love already.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

Kanye's verse is solid. Nowhere near Nas dropping Ether or Biggie on Notorious Thugs but he spat that shit well. Kendrick is pretty dope too.

The problem with this song is the background and hook. They're god awful and the background is far too loud and drowns Kanye out sometimes.

Edited by Jim Moriarty

i like the song enough but if it ends up on Swish, it'll probably sound different. he's been holding on to the beat since 2010 so he could just be emptying the vault while also showing certain Yeezus agnostics that he "still raps" (and FACTS agnostics - so, everyone - that he "still raps" well)

and even "so appalled," one of the few good friday tracks for mbdtf that actually ended up on mbdtf, was released unmastered (it definitely sounded a little off, and i'm not just talking about cyhi's verse ziiiiiing). kanye's known for workshopping and putting in-progress stuff out there, and kim may have accidentally pressured him into releasing "no parties in la" before he wanted to lol