General music discussion/sharing/recommendation thread

peener weener

Yeah, I can understand why though (probably).

(I may be completely wrong about why you don't like it) I was a little worried about the change in sound, but after listening to the album, I find it to be a welcome change. I feel if they would have made another heavier (?) album, there probably would have been stagnation. (Yet again, I could be completely wrong on why you don't like it.)

The "quiet" parts were my favourite aspect of the band's sound in more successful albums like Colors. I just didn't like the music they wrote this time around at all though!

It seems like a recurring trend nowadays when a prog-metal-related artist does something well outside their ordinary scope and ends up failing, where pointing to that seems to somehow get you branded "a dumb metalhead who can't appreciate the beauty of progrock". Also works, more notoriously, with Opeth's fanboys in light of their recentest two albums.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I urge anybody to check out this all-girls Japanese fusion/avant garde rock band. I NEVER thought I'd say that, cause I don't listen to music like that at ALL. Seriously, these girls are bloody incredible. If you like them, I would love it if you spread the word about them. It's one of the first times I've actually felt like this for a new band. For any music geeks, they play in complex time signatures, such as 9/8, 3/4, 6/4, 7/4 and 11/4. To translate for non-music geeks, it's technical, complex, but fucking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCZHiJ7_WFk

I urge anybody to check out this all-girls Japanese fusion/avant garde rock band. I NEVER thought I'd say that, cause I don't listen to music like that at ALL. Seriously, these girls are bloody incredible. If you like them, I would love it if you spread the word about them. It's one of the first times I've actually felt like this for a new band. For any music geeks, they play in complex time signatures, such as 9/8, 3/4, 6/4, 7/4 and 11/4. To translate for non-music geeks, it's technical, complex, but fucking awesome.

i don't see how it's avant garde or fusion (as in jazz?), it sounds like math rock. pretty dope though, thanks for sharing

who's interested in a less busy music listening club? like on your own time, maybe 2 albums a week, rotating submissions, put up your thoughts or whatever.

on actual music though: i'm gonna hold off listening to dre until we get the physical version i think. also i'm kinda disappointed with frank ocean not dropping on july. what's been up otherwise lately though?

yeah someone should start a new club since SirBrickingtonDeathGrips or whatever his name was hasn't been online, i'd participate.

the only meaningful Frank Ocean update wrt the new album is that he posted a selfie in a Marquee Moon jacket. which is perfect because that's one of my favorite albums and now i'm all excited to see how much further down the #emotionalboyz path he can go. really, just perfect. everything Frank Ocean does feels like an attack on my ability to love anyone who isn't Frank Ocean.

yeah someone should start a new club since SirBrickingtonDeathGrips or whatever his name was hasn't been online, i'd participate.

the only meaningful Frank Ocean update wrt the new album is that he posted a selfie in a Marquee Moon jacket. which is perfect because that's one of my favorite albums and now i'm all excited to see how much further down the #emotionalboyz path he can go. really, just perfect. everything Frank Ocean does feels like an attack on my ability to love anyone who isn't Frank Ocean.

i feel like half of this thread is like frank ocean fanclub??? including myself

The "quiet" parts were my favourite aspect of the band's sound in more successful albums like Colors. I just didn't like the music they wrote this time around at all though!

It seems like a recurring trend nowadays when a prog-metal-related artist does something well outside their ordinary scope and ends up failing, where pointing to that seems to somehow get you branded "a dumb metalhead who can't appreciate the beauty of progrock". Also works, more notoriously, with Opeth's fanboys in light of their recentest two albums.

Read: "Release the Panic" by Red.

Red's a band I've mentioned before in this thread. They write Christian alt rock/metal, and I highly recommend it if you enjoy those genres, as the vast majority of lyrics on their songs are somewhat ambiguous, at the least. However, for RTP, they went for a much more mainstream/progressive rock approach, with a few heavier songs that still were not great because of their style compared to other albums. Red is, for the most part, loved by people who have listened, but this album is almost universally considered their worst.

Also, in response to the music listening club, I'd be game for that.

who's interested in a less busy music listening club? like on your own time, maybe 2 albums a week, rotating submissions, put up your thoughts or whatever.

on actual music though: i'm gonna hold off listening to dre until we get the physical version i think. also i'm kinda disappointed with frank ocean not dropping on july. what's been up otherwise lately though?

I think that's a pretty good idea, for me especially since I couldn't really participate in the original club because of time constraints.

While the quieter parts were always some of my favorites too, but I don't really feel that this is basically BtBaM making their quiet parts the majority of their songs now (this could be another misinterpretation of what you said again). But, this is a very objective thing, so I can't really say that "objectively, this album is better than the others." I just think, despite being another "prog-metal (or whatever)" band going "proggier?", BtBaM needed to go in a different direction, and while this may or may not be the right direction, I think it's a extremely good effort. (I don't know what point I'm trying to make here, I'm tired atm.)

Also, regardless of what any band puts out, you're going to get "fanboys" insulting you for not liking it. I'm not 100% sure if it's a trend in prog-metal, because any music I've listened to has had people like this. But, I do get the point you're making.

Regardless what genre this is, it's still pretty cool. :D

Anyway, the new Chelsea Wolfe album is out, and while I haven't listened to it (I don't even have it), I've liked the singles quite a bit.

[spoiler=Chelsea Wolfe - Carrion Flowers]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46u_Ggsub1A

Edited by Disinnocence

Read: "Release the Panic" by Red.

Red's a band I've mentioned before in this thread. They write Christian alt rock/metal, and I highly recommend it if you enjoy those genres, as the vast majority of lyrics on their songs are somewhat ambiguous, at the least. However, for RTP, they went for a much more mainstream/progressive rock approach, with a few heavier songs that still were not great because of their style compared to other albums. Red is, for the most part, loved by people who have listened, but this album is almost universally considered their worst.

Why are these two grouped together? I really can't detect a strong prog element in the album you mention though.

Bands that play "Christian rock" always sound so simplistic. I guess if this genre ought to be defined by lyrical content, then Neal Morse would be its indisputed champion?

While the quieter parts were always some of my favorites too, but I don't really feel that this is basically BtBaM making their quiet parts the majority of their songs now (this could be another misinterpretation of what you said again). But, this is a very objective thing, so I can't really say that "objectively, this album is better than the others." I just think, despite being another "prog-metal (or whatever)" band going "proggier?", BtBaM needed to go in a different direction, and while this may or may not be the right direction, I think it's a extremely good effort. (I don't know what point I'm trying to make here, I'm tired atm.)

Also, regardless of what any band puts out, you're going to get "fanboys" insulting you for not liking it. I'm not 100% sure if it's a trend in prog-metal, because any music I've listened to has had people like this. But, I do get the point you're making.

Yeah, it does apply to virtually any band whose following has grown big enough to firmly believe the artist can do no wrong and where new music is automatically good because you've been waiting for it for too long. The core of BtBaM's sound is different on the new record with the extreme metal parts not playing the usual role, but it is a softening up of sorts, regardless.

I guess since prog-metal is as relevant to prog as it is to metal, it's a little hard to complain about a band getting proggier, since that's in most cases the direction of change (can't think of very many cases of the opposite). Still, compare Opeth's Heritage with Still Life and you'll see that the amount of prog saturation doesn't correspond with better quality of the music. If you compare Deliverance with Ghost Reveries though, I'm not so sure anymore.

Yeah, it does apply to virtually any band whose following has grown big enough to firmly believe the artist can do no wrong and where new music is automatically good because you've been waiting for it for too long. The core of BtBaM's sound is different on the new record with the extreme metal parts not playing the usual role, but it is a softening up of sorts, regardless.

I guess since prog-metal is as relevant to prog as it is to metal, it's a little hard to complain about a band getting proggier, since that's in most cases the direction of change (can't think of very many cases of the opposite). Still, compare Opeth's Heritage with Still Life and you'll see that the amount of prog saturation doesn't correspond with better quality of the music. If you compare Deliverance with Ghost Reveries though, I'm not so sure anymore.

I think with a band's following your always going to have a few different groups; the fans who will follow/love the band regardless of what they put out, fans who love only a certain era of the band, fans that like/dislike the band's output differently through their career, etc. I do agree with the fact that a majority of the time new music is well received because it's... well, new music. It really depends on the band's release cycle. I also agree that the focus on the record is softer than their other efforts [most obvious statement of the year], but I still think that the certain things that make BtBaM themselves are still present on this album. I believe most bands tend to soften up later in their careers.

I think with prog-metal, you're probably not going to see a band going more metal than prog most of the time, as the progressive genre is, well "progressive" and one might think going more metal would be a regression of sorts (I hope this makes sense). Although, I guess Porcupine Tree went with a more metal sound with "In Absentia" and onward. With the Opeth thing, I think it just matters how much prog you like in your metal (or vice-versa). I do think Heritage was a bit much (I still thought it was decent, needed work, but imo, hardly a bad album), and Still Life was a much more focused effort, I just think it depends on your tastes. Also, I don't think there's much difference between Damnation and Ghost Reveries considering the latter was the release right after Damnation.

Also, with the Red thing, the one thing I see about it is it's a similar situation. A band makes a (somewhat) drastic change in sound and is not very well-received. The only problem is BtBaM's new release seems to be pretty well-received though, so, I don't really know.

Edited by Disinnocence

• 2 weeks later...

Cool song, will have to check them out later. For some reason made me think of this:

I still want to try to post stuff I'm generally listening to here.

Anyway, I know it's late, but I picked up the new Swans album, and it's fucking incredible. It's maybe even better than The Seer, but, I think it's useless comparing both of them since they're both absolutely amazing (do I sound enough like a fanboy?).

[spoiler=Swans - Screen Shot]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HKIjG9JH6c

DAT BASSLINE MAN

Also, that Hop Along song was very nice sounding, especially the bridge (or whatever) part. Might check them out.

The cover's actually pretty cool too.

Edited by Disinnocence

Yeah, The Seer is 10/10 too (A Piece of the Sky wrecks, man. My favorite Swans song), but I just think I like "To Be Kind" as an album more. Although, you ain't gonna lose listening to either.

[spoiler=So Hideous - Yesteryear]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J8sDJszO2M

I just discovered these guys like a week ago, and this shit is pretty great man. Reminds me a lot of Deafheaven (not that they have a monopoly on this sound), which is never bad. Pretty excited to see what the full record sounds like.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm liking the new Deafheaven quite a bit, but I think that's to be expected... (also, gr8 joke m8)

Hyped for the new Caspian album this Friday. It's one day after my birthday. Woo...

The Audiotree performance of "Sycamore" is godly, so, like... listen to it?

[spoiler=Caspian - Sycamore]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdPJACONTn4

I cry tears of joy when the (almost) entire band joins in on the drums during the last 2 minutes.

Edited by Disinnocence

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty out of touch with the new releases. I enjoyed the new Amorphis and that's about it. Haven't been able to get into the new Leprous just yet.

Giving the new Leprous more spins could be my priority as far as appreciating 2015 music goes, I guess.

Yeah, the new Leprous might not be my favorite work by them (that one probably goes to Tall Poppy Syndrome, I guess), but it's growing on me, and Rewind is really fucking good.

Anyway, as for current things, I've been digging the new Deafheaven record (hoping to get a copy tomorrow on the VinylMePlease store). Not sure if I like it as much as Sunbather (let alone more than Vertigo), but we'll see what happens. I'm also really hyped for the new So Hideous record coming out tomorrow actually. There's a stream of the full album here.

And as for things I've been listening to, I've been really into MONO lately. I would've like to get a preorder on their upcoming split with The Ocean, but it seems all the good colors sold out (the pink one still looks pretty cool though).

[spoiler=MONO - Recoil, Ignite]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEbRNqnwqmY

Edited by Disinnocence

wouldn't be surprised if my favorite metal release this year is Anareta, the upcoming Horrendous album. gonna be gooooood

some news: joanna newsom has a new album. npr's got it streaming rn, but only until friday morning. like her other albums (HOOM in particular), it's basically like in Beauty and the Beast when all the castle's appliances just straight *launched* into these dope songs but if the castle was a museum and all the appliances were Romantic-era works of art. disclaimer: imo

the goddess Grimes has a new album coming out nov 6th. this video would suggest that it'll be more pop-driven than Visions (which is an album i recommend highly unless her vocal style grates on you). "indietronic alien pop," thereabouts

wouldn't be surprised if my favorite metal release this year is Anareta, the upcoming Horrendous album. gonna be gooooood

yup. i mean, kudos to Tribulation and Deafheaven for putting out dope shit, but ain't no metal can touch Horrendous this year. christ

This might be kind of late... well actually really late, but I've been into the new/debut Black Wing record. As with pretty much every one of Dan Barrett's releases, it sounds really... odd and always has the vocals sort of back in the mix, but ... Is Doomed is definitely one of my favorites releases this year, and if you haven't yet, go check out Have A Nice Life and Giles Corey too. The former may be a bit old, but it's still great, and Giles Corey's debut is a modern masterpiece, imo.

[spoiler=Black Wing - If I Let Him In]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4dZ5OYhlo

Or go check out the bandcamp page here.

Edited by Disinnocence