General music discussion/sharing/recommendation thread

peener weener

Favourite EitS song has to be First Breath After Coma from The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place. But that band just knows how to build albums. They're even better than Radiohead when it comes to pure album building and Radiohead is usually considered one of the best out there (listen to Kid A to see what I mean).

The start to this new song is pretty cool. I'm in love already.

I'm probably in the minority of liking Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (maybe) better than The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but I do agree that album is probably their most well put together album, and probably my second favorite. And I'm definitely in the minority in thinking that Hail to the Thief is Radiohead's best album. Kid A may be a masterpiece and all, but that album has always felt like their best to me. Too bad the band doesn't like it as much...

Edited by Disinnocence

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably in the minority of liking Take Care, Take Care, Take Care (maybe) better than The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place, but I do agree that album is probably their most well put together album, and probably my second favorite. And I'm definitely in the minority in thinking that Hail to the Thief is Radiohead's best album. Kid A may be a masterpiece and all, but that album has always felt like their best to me. Too bad the band doesn't like it as much...

That's absolutely fair. As long as you understand how well both bands build albums, it's fine in my books.

Also, I officially dethrone Eminem as the greatest "white rapper" to exist. I finally tracked down El-P's solo album before Run the Jewels and that shit is dope.

In fact, I listened to three artists today and only one of them is famous. The problem? His shit was incredibly mediocre while people think he's incredible. That would be Kendrick Lamar (listened to Section.80) and I was not impressed. The other guys? El-P and Blu & Exile. Would have also put on Aesop Rock but I ran out of time.

That's absolutely fair. As long as you understand how well both bands build albums, it's fine in my books.

Also, I officially dethrone Eminem as the greatest "white rapper" to exist. I finally tracked down El-P's solo album before Run the Jewels and that shit is dope.

In fact, I listened to three artists today and only one of them is famous. The problem? His shit was incredibly mediocre while people think he's incredible. That would be Kendrick Lamar (listened to Section.80) and I was not impressed. The other guys? El-P and Blu & Exile. Would have also put on Aesop Rock but I ran out of time.

el-p has more than one solo album though... he was fairly well-known before rtj and has had a long career. fantastic damage is his best. cancer for the cure is a personal favourite. blu & exile made below the heavens which is maybe my favourite album of all time. so far so good. but you say kendrick is mediocre after listening to section.80? (solid album don't get me wrong) instead of good kid maad city or to pimp a butterfly which are the most critically acclaimed albums to come out of hip hop in the last 5 years and what made him the superstar he is currently in the first place. that's some stupid white backpacker shit, except i guess most of those love kendrick to death for bringing back "real hip hop" so i dont even know what this is. how much hip hop have you even listened to?

edit: holy shit my post reads like it's straight out of ktt

Edited by fuccboi

el-p has more than one solo album though... he was fairly well-known before rtj and has had a long career. fantastic damage is his best. cancer for the cure is a personal favourite. blu & exile made below the heavens which is maybe my favourite album of all time. so far so good. but you say kendrick is mediocre after listening to section.80? (solid album don't get me wrong) instead of good kid maad city or to pimp a butterfly which are the most critically acclaimed albums to come out of hip hop in the last 5 years and what made him the superstar he is currently in the first place. that's some stupid white backpacker shit, except i guess most of those love kendrick to death for bringing back "real hip hop" so i dont even know what this is. how much hip hop have you even listened to?

edit: holy shit my post reads like it's straight out of ktt

My top 5 rap albums of all time include both Illmatic and Revolutionary Volume 1. I think I know my way round hip hop pretty decent.

If you say that Good Kid Maad City or To Pimp A Butterfly are better, than I'll try them and see what I think after those. But after Section.80, I wasn't impressed. Just saying.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo, Deftones released a new song like... yesterday after teasing for like a week, and it's pretty good, and pre-orders are up for Gore which is also pretty good. So yeah.

[spoiler=Deftones - Prayers/Triangles]

this thread is so off and on like man i want to keep this thread alive man its the only place i post in anymore man

rip sf music club mk i, ii

Edited by Disinnocence

• 2 weeks later...

This album just jumped into my top 5 rap albums. Which are now RTJ2, Illmatic, Revolutionary Vol.1, Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers) and now PTSD. Fucking gold.

tlop is p good i like it #hottake

after listening to it a few times, i kinda wish it had the cohesiveness of His last 3 solo albums. like it sounds like the whole gospel/spiritual thing didn't develop until late in the album-making process. so roughly half is the post-yeezus Rude Kanye buffet and the rest is god and awe and such. it's just, maybe a backing gospel choir would've given lines like "i made that bitch famous" some much-needed... charm? ...repentance? ...or something? the messy punk album cover is fitting, is what i'm saying. also why isn't chance on every song, that's a big oversight i feel?? but it's a kanye west production so it all sounds v nice. He lives to prove ppl wrong and the ppl He was trying to prove wrong were the ones who said He didn't still "have it"; i think this album's successful on that front. that's my the-album's-been-out-like-a-whole-day premature evaluation. oh and ultralight beam sounded really dope on snl

pablo had really high highs and pretty boring lows but overall i liked it. also, sometimes his lyrics were really jarring, like in fsmh pt.1 where you segue from ultralight beam into this really charming intro, a catchy hook, kanye sings this nice bridge, and then he starts his verse with a line about bleached assholes (????). a lot of his lyrics were in pretty bad taste, but at least for the most part i feel like He Delivered wrt everything else. i feel like some tracks could have used getting cut from the record, namely famous (probably) and low lights through i love kanye. ultralight beam was really powerful, fml was great, no more parties in la and real friends are some of the best straight hip hop shit kanye has put out in a long time and the album is good, but ultimately i think the life of pablo holds itself back from being amazing. it just feels like he made this record in like a month or something.

i liked it though. in fact i enjoyed it a shitload, and even the songs i didn't like as much i still fuck with. i still love kanye

Edited by fuccboi

fuck music

fuck the grammys

taylor going over kendrick lamar as album of the year

what is this bullshit

to pimp a butterfly is 10/10

i keep getting tlop and tpab confused and i dont really know why

but yeah, i havent listened to tlop yet but ill get on it or something (no more parties was cool though)

In other news, O'Brother finally gave us information on their new album, Endless Light, and dropped a new song, Deconstruct, which needless to say, I'm excited. Plus, Cult of Luna (with Julie Christmas) released a new song too, which is also... pretty good. Yeah.

[spoiler=O'Brother - Deconstruct / Cult of Luna - A Greater Call]

fuck music

fuck the grammys

what is this bullshit

as disappointing as this is i dont think it really mattered on whether he won or not because kendrick is still pretty great regardless

Edited by Disinnocence

fuck music

fuck the grammys

what is this bullshit

oh yeah i was pretty drunk last night and i got suuuper mad at this but then i forgot about it this morning

guess that's telling of how important the grammys really are lmao

the last time the grammys wasn't completely out of touch was maybe the 70's when they just gave the award to stevie wonder every year lol. only reason i knew the grammys was even on last night was someone called and told me "that kendrick guy you love" was performing and "they are doing a bowie tribute" (while neglecting to mention this "they" was lady gaga. i assume she flew to the stage on a gemini spacecraft after she put co-pilot tony bennett to bed, i didn't watch). we're also 2 years removed from macklemore being nominated for aoty, so, y ' k n o w

--

one other thing i'll say ""in defense of"" tlop after spending more time with it is that while it may not be conceptually ambitious or interesting, or even a great album, it is interesting in a how-the-sausage-is-made kind of way. (what does kanye's picasso-rap sound like when it really is just random parts stitched together? btw i know what cubism is !!) all the social media updates were exciting to follow and this mess of an album is good as far as career holding patterns go. honestly i just don't think, from the outside looking in, that His life is all that different now than it was when He made yeezus, and making another yeezus would have taken way more time than He spent on this album. e.g. "facts" took maybe 30 minutes from conception to completion and i'm sorry but it's baaaad lol ("COUCHES COUCHES COUCHES COUCHES WHICH ONE SHOULD I PICK." who says ye isn't relatable anymore ??). kanye's my fav but i can tell tlop is kinda like graduation for me in that i'll probably appreciate it more than love it and talk about it more than listen to it. even tho it's good! it just doesn't excite me the way His other albums do

• 3 weeks later...

The story behind is that lebron james asked for tde to release kendricks unreleased tracks pretty please and tde was like aight. Thats precious

Most of these are very thematically and musically similar to tpab and are pretty good on their own, but damn untitled 02 is filthy as fuck