Gerik: Ranger vs. Hero?

Ranger vs. Hero?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Gerik: R or H?

I've started a new hard run on Sacred Stones and am wondering what to promote Gerik into. I've always wondered which is a better fit for him, so I want to see what people think here. The higher speed, bows and move is tempting, but the higher defence and axes is also a pretty good deal.

Higher speed is superfluous for Gerik. He should be doubling everything anyway. This game is dominated by Hand Axes, (1~2 range I mean), so Hero has slightly less move, but is overall weaker.

Depends how you're playing really. If you're just playing for fun, I'd say hero is better for the things Elie mentioned. Garm is pretty much made for him too.

Edited by General Horace

Both are awesome.

Ranger!Gerik is essentially better for low-turning, while Hero!Gerik is mainly used for casual runs. Going with Hero, though, since I don't really low-turn FE8.

I always go Ranger because i like move. I like move and splat with swords. If im not using Neimi (which im usually not doing), Gerik gets to be my bowman. I dont usually use archers in general unless they have other functions (or are named Shinon in RD). Hero!Gerik has more Str and Hand Axes so hes got a lot of merits there. /shrug I just prefer Ranger cuz horsies are yes.

Yeah, either way you go, Gerik roflstomps.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

I'd say hero is better because of instant access to hand axes, but ranger has some benefits that make it an interesting alternative.

I think I'll go with ranger because of variety's sake, haven't tried it out before, plus I've decided to bench Neimi. Nice to know the opinion though.

HERO! I use my horses to rescue people, and Gerik's high CON means that he's not that hot at doing it. I'm also fond of him using Garm.

If you really want a Ranger, Gerik's much better for it than Neimi, but the Ranger's only real appeal is the extra movement and better damage against fliers (which most units can get rid of easily anyway). Hand Axes + slightly better defenses would probably be best, unless you absolutely need the movement.

Besides, Heroes look badass in the GBA games.

Gerik is the best potential bowman in the game, but I'd rather have another solid combat unit than a bow user. Ranger lacks 1-2 range, which means his higher move is tempered by being unable to counter lots of enemies on enemy phase, and the move difference is only 1 square anyway. On top of that Axes are really good for Gerik, he has high skill and the CON to not lose AS from them - he can use Steel with no AS loss which helps him build Axe rank up rapidly, allowing him to potentially wield Garm late game and gets him to Killers and Silvers quickly. Bows don't really have an equivalent - only the short bow gives higher WEXP, but that's expensive and weak.

No one takes ranger for bows. Bows almost always sucks.

True reason why ranger is better option is less con and more mov. You might say thats only one move more than hero, but that's not true. Hero!Gerik cannot' be rescued by Cormag. Tannessa can do it, but she must be unpromoted, what mean lolstats.

Hero just have much less mobility.

Bow also has one moment when is useful. In father and son you can take down annoing staffs quicker thanks to bow.

Ranger works better when you want end chapter ASAP.

However in 0% Hero is better because Garm and more speed at promo. But 0% is different story.

• 3 weeks later...

I am surprised to hear about horsemen being preferred for LTC. I know movement and rescue is good, but I would have thought the combat would have been slightly preferable.

Then again, I suppose by the time you get Gerik you have other movement users with decent enough combat. In order for him to keep up he would have to promote to horsemen despite lacking 1-2 range.

Edited by Eyrah

Hero. That guy deserves to be chucking axes with the overpowered CON he's given. Plus the only other nominees for Hero are Garcia, with no speed and not enough defense, and Ross, with low con and low skill.

• 3 weeks later...

Ranger is the better class if you're trying to low turn. I usually go with Hero though since I always have Neimi as a ranger already and Gerik is probably one of if not the best users of Garm in endgame.

Hero is better in 0% growths, the playstyle in which Gerik is most relevant in. :V

Hero is better in 0% growths, the playstyle in which Gerik is most relevant in. :V

If only you could buy 0% growths on shelves in stores everywhere.

Ranger!Gerik may have more Movement, but he's one of 2 potential mounts that have no 1~2 range weaponry, and that really affects performance

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you're completely insane and want to beat the entire game in 50 turns, Ranger.

If not, Hero.

Thanks for calling me "completely insane". You are very kind.

The problem is that ranger is useful even in casual run. In casual run there are not real advantage hero over ranger or vice versa. Many people says blindly "HERO!Hero!', but promotion chose for Gerik isn't really matter.

• 4 weeks later...