Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS Best Buy Event Impressions

Randoman

I was at Cambie St. Another friend also mentioned the disorganization but I don't know if he was also at Cambie or if he was at Metro. I imagine Metrotown was probably the biggest event. Cambie was surprisingly quiet after the initial rush. I probably could have lined up for a round 2 but I was mega hungry and needed food badly.

I see. A lot of people didn't go to the Surrey one considering the popularity of Downtown and Metrotown. Surrey Central is never busy and the mall there is never packed even on weekends. Luckily for us it was really organized on our end and they properly paired us up in groups asking the people at the lineups who we were with if and if we were all alone so that they can get participants and individuals into groups so that the lineups went by really fast.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From like a page back, too lazy to quote it, but someone mentioned Peach side b got worse...

In Melee, her side b didn't have a lot of distance, had significant startup and endlag, it's only use was to stall her recovery by exploding off the walls. Using it as an attack is terrible.

In Brawl, the startup of the side b got a bit better though she does have significant endlag if missed. Still, it could be used effectively if you knew it would hit as it barely had endlag when you hit with it. It has a hearts animation and couldn't bounce off walls anymore unlike Melee's.

So, her Side B got better in Brawl.

Edited by PKL

I waited in line for four hours and it crashed, nearly giving me a heart attack, then I got to play for two minutes.

Worth it.

Seriously though, I was in line with some cool people and it was a lot of fun overall.

I played as Greninja in smash run and Marth in WiiU. I spent half the match pressing the wrong buttons trying to get used the pro controller, but I really liked how it played. Smash in HD is amazing and the 3DS version looks great too.

I do wish there was more than one demo to play at though.

From like a page back, too lazy to quote it, but someone mentioned Peach side b got worse...

In Melee, her side b didn't have a lot of distance, had significant startup and endlag, it's only use was to stall her recovery by exploding off the walls. Using it as an attack is terrible.

In Brawl, the startup of the side b got a bit better though she does have significant endlag if missed. Still, it could be used effectively if you knew it would hit as it barely had endlag when you hit with it. It has a hearts animation and couldn't bounce off walls anymore unlike Melee's.

So, her Side B got better in Brawl.

Her side b needs to bounce off of shields (not just powershields) like it does in melee and have the same range it does in brawl. also ohko any toon links in the battle no matter where they are

Best approach ever.

Had to work on both of the days so I missed it. How's Link's recovery? Did they finally make it useful? How good are the tether recoveries? Did they implement the customizable specials?

Edited by Castiel

I waited in line for four hours and it crashed, nearly giving me a heart attack, then I got to play for two minutes.

Worth it.

Seriously though, I was in line with some cool people and it was a lot of fun overall.

I played as Greninja in smash run and Marth in WiiU. I spent half the match pressing the wrong buttons trying to get used the pro controller, but I really liked how it played. Smash in HD is amazing and the 3DS version looks great too.

I do wish there was more than one demo to play at though.

The controls to the pro controller is so much different than the Gamecube controller that all I did in my demo play with Marth was dodge, Shield and fall down the cliff.

It was kinda funny, because my local store was hosting it, until it canceled the week of. Luckily, I had to visit my parents two hours away and the Best Buy near them was hosting it indefinitely, so my man friend and I hustled over there Saturday. XD

There was quite a bit of waiting. Approximately an hour. Then we got to play the Wii U demo.

In the match before me, we saw Megaman v Zelda v Mario v Pit. Pit looks VASTLY different, which is a good thing. He isn't a spammable piece of poo anymore. Megaman looked pretty cool, though his projectile based fighting style, I fear, is going to make him spammable. Gears everywhere. His Mega Buster (ground side smash) and Hard Knuckle (aerial down) though are very good. I didn't watch Mario much, but his smashes looked a little improved. He got the smash ball and OMG. YOU BETTER DODGE THAT SPIRAL, BECAUSE IT IS SCARIER THAN IT WAS IN BRAWL. In Brawl, you could accidentally find yourself in it and just recover with a big hit on percentage. This time, you will be pushed all the way off the edge of the screen. It also looked bigger for some reason. Zelda won the fight though. I didn't watch her much either, but it seemed that her player didn't use the darknut move much, if at all. Her throws were good, as per usual, and her Din's Fire (side special) is stronger. They played on the Sky Loft stage, which is pretty nice. Zelda winning was fitting. XD

Our match, it was Megaman (my 10 year old brother) v Rosalina (my man friend) v Wii Fit Trainer (me) v Little Mac (some random single player that luckily was able to skip half of the line because the guys behind us wanted to play together). Let me start off saying that the Dr. Wily stage is SO ANNOYING. The Yellow Devil is so annoying. Just. Pls. No. But, anyways, back to the fighting. Little Mac, I swear, had an unsung vendetta against me. His juggling is so annoying. He can't fight in the air, but he can send you airborne and quickly get to you from the ground and charge attacks up. Thank Sakurai for air dodging. Rosalina's magic attacks didn't have much weight behind them, but man her grab combo game is amazing. My friend grabbed Little Mac before he used the KO punch and juggled him to infinity until he sent him flying up in the air and onto the screen. Rosalina grabbed the smash ball. Her final smash was disappointingly meh. Power Star? More like Power Star of mediocrity and minor annoyance. Megaman's recovery is pretty good with Rush Coil. It's just a utility jump, and very much like Sonic's spring jump. Now, Wii Fit Trainer (surprising to everyone, but my most anticipated new comer, no lie) was awesome. Some of the smash moves require good timing as the hit boxes are a little weird, but those special moves. The Soccer Heading (side special) was very meh, but amazing for trolling recoveries. ESPECIALLY Little Mac's terrible air game. The recovery of her Hula Hoop is really good for vertical movement. Terrible attack, though. I'd compare it to Zelda's Farore's Wind. The thing that really made her though, was the wombo combo Deep Breathing to Sun Salutation. Boy did I send people flying with that. Funny, when I watched the invitational tourney, everyone kept failing the Deep Breathing buff. I found it very easy to pull off. Either way, Wii Fit Trainer, I speculate, will be a higher tier character.

As for the controls-- thank God there is a GameCube adapter cause man...that Pro controller was just too awkward.

After the Wii U, there was no way in hell that I'd line up again as the line was still wrapping around the building outside. So I just moved on to the 3DS and left. Smash Run was pretty fun. Not much to say about it besides it's just plain fun. Oh, and you don't lose your powerups for dying, I guess. Just time. This was where I played Zelda. The controls on the 3DS were not as bad as they were on the Pro, strangely. Zelda runs faster. Yes. Faster. Or at least feels it. Her super mega uber kick of KO ability is easier to land, it seems. Many times when I was reaching for the hit, I thought I'd miss, but I didn't. Her Aerial Up+A seems stronger, too. It has A LOT of knock to it now. This was also first hand where I experienced her Din's Fire buff. I like it. Feels very strong and satisfying when landed correctly. Dark Nut was not amazing, but it could have potential. The problem that I have with it is that it blocks projectiles and then breaks. Why. Sakurai, why? Zelda already has Naryu's Love, which is arguably better because it reflects the projectile and has like no cast time. And then Dark Nut takes a cast time and just blocks to projectile only to become a pile of uselessness. It would be better if it absorbed a set amount of percentage before breaking vs the first projectile it encounters. When it hit, it was good, but it's just so easy to rid of.

Oh. The game is gorgeous, by the way, on both platforms. 10-3-14 cannot get here soon enough.

Oh hey I played it too (Fuck that line though)

Greninja is really good. A lot stronger than you'd think. I thought he was going to be super fast with low power, but he's actually fast with pretty high power. Bowser is actually similar to Project M Bowser, and my brother loved it. Little Mac is probably going to be super good on courses that are grounded, but on the others, he'll kinda suck. Probably mid-low tier. Rosalina seemed pretty weak, but I didn't play as her so it was tough to tell. My cousin won the first one with Little Mac, and I won the second one with Greninja. Weirdly enough, both were on the FE Arena course.

Meanwhile in Europe.

and meanwhile in Puerto Rico...although, im kinda glad honestly. I would've gone and be mad at the lines, at winner still passes the controller and the pro controller being a thing.

GOOD. The only thing that bugs me is her new Side Smash Attack.

imo, it's so... underwhelming. I mean, compared to her Brawl one, it looks so bad. But then again, Zero Suit got numerous changes, so I guess it makes up for her overkill Side Smash Attack. I was watching a SSB4 Gameplay Video with ZSS in one of the matches.

Mario had 47%, and ZSS used her new Smash Attack on him, bringing it to 64%. But I guess I'll get used to it. I won't LIKE it, but I'll definitely get used to it. And I could never dislike ZSS anyways. She's mah main.

Her old Forward smash was pretty bad though aside from range. It had bad startup, bad ending lag and didn't really kill until super high percents. Her new fsmash I hear is leagues better.