Frontier - Act Two, Chapter Two

Parrhesia

The day passed without incident. As did the next. And before you knew it, it was the wedding day.

A noble wedding is more than just a bond between individuals. Both houses are bound together in blood, and it's an alliance that lasts through the ages. In theory, at least. The wedding must be an event to match. A splendid banquet, a spectacular ball, and fabulous costuming all around. Ample opportunities present themselves for would-be players to present themselves to genuinely important people.

And right now, Meredith Martane is an important person. Her day in the sun, or that's the theory. You can tell she's more than a little anxious in the spotlight, but if anything, she's holding up better now than she was when she arrived. She's even flashing a few nervous smiles around as she walks down one of the aisles - with the Countess more or less incapable, her brother away and her father dead, she makes the walk alone.

In the other aisle walks Miriam Avery, fully accompanied by her family - Harriet, twice widowed, and her other daughters. You've seen soldiers bearing the Avery mark around the city, and knights in their service. They're cousins to royalty and still bear Tascaran noble connections. All this while Martane walks alone. There's only you.

You're too far down the aisle to hear much of the actual ceremony - you'll say this for it, though, it takes a while. Religious procession follows procession for what seems like an age, before finally, the brides kiss. For you, the moment is spoiled somewhat by a weary-looking Othidian knight spitting on the ground behind you. And it's with a certain amount of relief you greet the news that the ceremonies, for now, have ended - and now it is time to feast.

Tables and seats, miraculously, are found for every artisan, knight, mercenary and soldier in the house, as plate after plate of food is laid out. Magnificent fare better than you thought you'd ever see in your life, lavishly spiced and plentiful, as kegs of beer and wine are brought out by footmen and tapped. The married couple sit at a table near the top of the room - with the queen herself, Countess Avery and a few councillors. Even as the food is laid out for them, they look more than a little pensive.

Off to one side, you spot ambassadors and various visiting nobility from Tascara, and Othidians on the other side, kept tactfully apart by a table of somewhat patronising Baharese remarking how quaint and foreign the ceremony was. As for the rest, the tables are packed with people, too many of them armed.

But you can convince yourself that's just your paranoia talking - after all, you've been stressed for a long time. Guards and witnesses are everywhere, and the wine flows freely - isn't now the time to unwind for just a moment?

Mary made a mental note to thank Cale later - her new clothes had somehow held up through the uncomfortably long ceremony, and into the feast. As she was on duty, she steadfastly refused all alcohol - if things went south, she'd need to be at her best. And if things went south due to poison. . .

Pointless. Feran couldn't grasp any of the intricacies of marriage, the whole ceremony seemed like an utter waste of time to him. Even most of the guests seemed bored stiff. Still, it was easy work, despite its lack of action. He'd have to endure the situation and leave when found an ample opportunity. He scanned the area lazily, hoping to pick out the likes of Arin or Sherry among the crowd.

Sherry made a note to deck the man who'd spit after this was all over, if she ran into him. There wasn't anything wrong with this, and she was insulted that someone would do that during the procession. Miriam and Meredith were probably more insulted, but it still bothered her. Aside from that, she'd managed to get herself a suitable dress before the wedding, and stuffed herself into it, though she sat nothing like a "proper" lady would, idly eating a leg of whatever bird was on the table. At least the dress was nice enough, though red was definitely not her color. She spied Feran turning his head a few tables away, and seriously hoped he wouldn't do anything. Weddings were definitely not his playground, even less so than her's.

----------

Arin had to hold back his tears, overwhelmingly happy for the two of Miriam and Meredith. It was such a beautiful event in his eyes, and it made him happy to know that two people loved each other enough to want to spend the rest of their lives together. He sighed, and sat back in his chair, still trying to sit comfortable in the clothes that Cale had suited up for him. They were far from what he was used to wearing.

Inge was fairly impressed by the ceremony, his interest about the life of nobles and merchants piqued since the theather. He wasn't sure what was in store for him since he joined Fort Chevelle's garrison, but he was living life more than ever.

Trying to forget the image of the spitting knight, Inge's mind insistently wandered to their supposed job nevertheless. Feeling frustrated and clueless in such a high-profile feast, he resigned to shift his gaze about to some of the armed men while trying to enjoy some fine meat.

-----------------------------------------

Barth was inspired by the religious procession, taken to a serene state of confidence. In such a trance he did not notice the Othidian man spitting behind him, and had in his mind that the gods were protecting the newlyweds.

Wasting no time as a plate was served to him, Barth enjoyed the meal of his life. He readily asked for more wine as his glass emptied, it was fine wine that he wouldn't get the chance to drink anywhere else, in his mind.

Many of those armed are soldiers, mostly openly uniformed. A few nobles also have knives at their belt. The merchants have lightly-armed guards, and, of course, there's you. What is encouraging, at least, is that for all the steel on show, Charmadian soldiers - not even Tascaran ones - are the only ones clad in it.

Having noted the kind of arms around, Inge relaxes somewhat. He takes a curious glance at the top table for a moment, then turns to Rill for a distraction. "So, how's the feast for you?" He takes a quick glance at her new wear they bought days before.

Rill leant closer into her partner, wrapping an arm around his waist. She'd gone, in the end, for a long purple dress, good velvet, but without any trim, with a simple, brown leather bodice. It gave something of the sense she cut corners to get an outfit she wanted at a price she wanted, but it worked. "I think it's only just starting," she said, with more than a little satisfaction. "I've... been to a wedding before. Not a noble one, but it was the head of the Brewers' Union, and, well... I don't think anyone remembered that night." Almost reflexively, she bites her lip pensively, and changes the subject. The reaction's a smooth one, but you do notice it. "It wasn't anywhere near as grand as this, though," she said, breezily. "Come on, you're the one who needs to eat, it'd do you good." She nudges your ribs rather pointedly.

Not particularly amused by the rites of marriage done and all the boring speeches, Su San occupied his thoughts with the finery laid out on the table. It helped keep him from yawning as that was highly disrespectful. The foreign mercenary also made it a point to have Feran and Barth close by, for fun discussions as much as he originally wanted some of the better looking woman in their merry band by his side. Just having some within eyesight was good enough.

Already refilling his third cup of wine, Su San tore off some of the well spiced lamb meat before stuffing it and some of the exquisitely grilled corn with some salted caramel crusting around it into his mouth. The blend of tastes was pleasing to the foreigner who never enjoyed such luxuries much at home.

"Guys," Su San asked Feran and Barth after swallowing his mouthful of food, "What food you like more?"

Decked in the red satin dress she kept for such formal occasions, Kirsten watched the wedding pair approvingly. It always delighted her to see holy matrimony that ignored the typical gender constraints after her travels had shown her a bit of the world.

With great care, the alchemist sipped from her wine cup as lady like as she could and ate slowly with a certain measure of grace she had picked up through observation. It would not do to look like some uncouth foreign barbarian in such an occasion.

Hash felt mildly out of place at the wedding, even with clothes that made him look better than a street rat, but he did his best to put it out of his mind. The ceremony intrigued him, one who was content with solitude, though the spitting knight ruined his mood somewhat. As he sat at the table and enjoying his food he couldn't help but notice all the armed guests. It was no small comfort that he knew his molotovs could get through even those in steel armor, though he hoped he wouldn't have to throw one here, he'd probably injure more than a few nobles, nobles who could easily have him hung. He absentmindedly palmed one of his new grenades. They'd make quite a mess, but they wouldn't hurt anyone so they'd likely be the first ones he threw if the need arose.

Needless to say, Loren was astounded. This was the first time in his 31 years he had ever been to a wedding at all. His family had been, to say the least, rather dysfunctional--he often did not keep in contact with any relatives outside of one of his great aunts (who passed away of a wasting sickness in his childhood). It seemed as if the disconnect that he felt while traveling with this lot in particular finally felt real to him. He watched the guests' behavior almost more intently than he watched the actual ceremony (absolutely stunning, of course--well, that lout over there certainly looked pretty bored, what an ungrateful swine--the brides looked incredibly lovely). He noted the disgust on some of their faces and even a jerky movement at the Othidian knight behind them--right, so that was something not to do at a wedding. A nice thing to remember for future reference.

At the feast he shifted a bit in his formal attire. It felt tight on his shoulders. He tried not to let his discomfort show, of course; he didn't want to look disrespectful. However, his self-consciousness was momentarily shattered at the quality of the food; just as he'd never been to a wedding, he had never tasted meat so tender and savory, and had never seen so much food and drink in one place at one time. He remembered every once in a while his father would bring back decent pork from the market trade, and they would boast over their spoils as they downed their bacon at the dinner table. This here was... excess. Surplus. Loren appeared composed as always, but he had never been more overwhelmed.

What would he do now? He glanced to the side (he initially paid no attention to where he in the great place as his hunger took priority), and he noticed... Ten. The big guy. He never knew how to approach people like that. Usually he felt it was more trouble than it was worth. But he got over himself after a few swigs of wine, and felt compelled. "Hey," he started, "so... what's it like? You know, being here. Watching a foreign ceremony." He didn't know how to word it, but he felt an interesting parallel between them as he spoke.

Christine noticed the vast number of armed soldiers too- it would be very hard not to notice them. She was less paranoid because she too was armed, and although she would have preferred to leave immediately, the delicious feast was too tempting to refuse.

She was eating at the table where Hash was eating, when she noticed Hash touching one of his grenades. She raised an eyebrow and told Hash, "I know we're surrounded by many armed soldiers but don't try something stupid out of paranoia."

Su San had approached Feran, breaking his cruel search to provide himself some entertainment. The ceremony itself had been a drag, but the food that followed remedied his boredom somewhat. Feran was unused to formal wear, it had taken a fair amount of persuasion to him to even consider wearing something remotely decent. With his hair shaggy and the rather noticeable eyepatch on his face, there was no illusion of class nor one of refinement.

"It's all tarted up, just like most of the people here." he replied, his lack of manners ever present. "No matter how you stuff a pig, it's still a pig... but still, a crow chooses not the flesh he picks at, especially if it's laid in front of him."

Ten blinked and then looked at the man who had asked him something. The man's name was... Loren? He thought that was right. He responded with a shrug. "Very different from my people's wedding. More talking. With my tribe, is more simple. But this was nice. And feast after is nice too. That I need to bring to my people." He grinned and then glanced around again. "It is not quite comfortable being here though. One of few of my people being here and all. Plus the worry of what if someone does something stupid and we need to fight. My bow is too far away."

Bekka was eating quietly, feeling out of place and uncomfortable in such a crowded and noisy situation. Give her a bow and guard duty any day over this. She stared unhappily at her plate. The wedding had been so nice. But she couldn't help but worry that there would be worse to come and they wouldn't be prepared to deal with it. She sighed.

Hash jumped slightly at Christine's voice, he hadn't expected anyone to really speak to him. "Please, the most it'll do is get anyone close enough stuck, won't hurt them." I think... Nevertheless he put his grenade away. "Besides, it's more insurance than anything else. If something goes wrong my molotovs and my grenades are all I have, I don't have my crossbow on me. All I have is a dagger and that sure as hell won't do anything but piss someone off."

It seemed that quite a few people were happy with the food, but one member didn't seem to be as interested. "Food's not to your liking?" Mary asked Bekka.

Loren had uncharacteristically not considered the possibility of a skirmish or riot, and the mention of it sobered him up a bit. He cleared his throat; it felt scratchier than usual. "Well... errr... I have never done this sort of thing before--been to a wedding, I mean. I guess I never considered something bad could happen." He said the last sentence more quietly, and shot a quick glance behind him. "It seems... all right? But I noticed a few people are refusing to drink." He didn't quite know where the conversation would go.

Inge ultimately did not react to the Brewer's Union story, as he was brought another topic before he could make sense of the first. Inge simply gave a faint smile and decided to not give it thought. "... Alright, I'll try some more food." He casted his concerns for now, deciding the paranoia could wait.

---------------------------

"Chicken. I like the taste." Barth replied to Su San with no hesitation, taking a bite of a chicken leg right after and continuing with mouth slightly stuffed. "Turkey's also great. Maybe every bird just tastes great after a good cookin'." Finally, he swallows and continues showing his good mood. "I won't be eating like this in a long while, so might as well. Who cares if the food is tarted up if it won't stay like that for long? It's not like these nobles who don't seem too happy to be here." He makes a subtle notion to the Tascaran and Othidian nobility separated by a table. "But I guess that soldier wasn't the only one mad at this. Do you guys think something will happen, though?"

A glance in that direction reveals the Othidians are muttering darkly and furtively. Unarmoured their guards may be, but they look on high alert. The Tascarans are arguing loud enough to hear.

Meanwhile, a band of musicians shuffle into position - you glance up, and see they're assembling along balconies above you.

• 2 weeks later...

The ball continues on. The food piles up and the wine is poured out as quickly as possible - people eat, drink and talk, their speech and laughter ringing around the massive hall. You try to keep yourselves alert - but it's hard to see any threat here. Surely nothing can get in the way of today... ? The dances, the drinks, Baharese and Tascaran side-by-side...

Slowly, the night begins to wind down. Some of the artisans and knights are 'encouraged' to leave before they pass out in the hall from their excesses. Passing out in the palace, it seems, is a privilege only for those of noble blood.

For a moment, the war seems so very far away - this is what they, what you, have fought for. The peace of everyone in this country. The love of two noblewomen slowly growing closer as the night wears on. The values that make the Selarian Empire a force of enlightenment and culture in the world.

And in the corner of your eye, you swear you see a minor Tascaran lord cough blood into his hands, stare forward in disbelief, before quietly collapsing to the ground...

Mary did her best to sneak away from the table, and towards the collapsed noble. Please let this be indigestion, please let this be indigestion!

Still wolfing down his food, Su San spotted the Tascaran lord coughing up blood and promptly spat out all the contents in his maw. Fearing poison in the food, Su San stood up and pointed at the fallen Tascaran and yelled with all his might, "BLOOOOOOOOOD!!!"

I SWEAR I am going to gut him if this turns out to be a case of gluttony and spicy food. Mary glared at Su-San, before turning back to the noble.

There was a point at which the vast majority of the court had not noticed the events at the Tascaran table.

That point, it seemed, had come and gone.

An unarmoured but well-armed guard shoved Mary aside as she attempted to tend to the man. "More Charmadian treachery? We'll leave the Lord to our own kind. Someone, fetch Marian from her chambers!"
"She's a fucking cripple!" snapped another guard. "Let the woman through!" The message was ignored. All across the hall uproar is taken up and hands fall to weapons - aside from the Camenican table, which is curiously calm...

"My apologies, sir, but I am an apothecary, and I think it would be most. . .improper if this turned out to be a case of spicy food not agreeing with him. If it is something more serious, then I can attempt to stabilize him while 'your' people arrive. If that is okay with you. . .sir," Mary said, as calmly as she could.