Who DIDN'T you use?

Torva

I used everyone at least a little bit except for Tiki and the kids I never got around to recruiting. But as for who I used the least, that would be Libra (wasn't planning on pairing him with anyone and I already had two good healers in Lissa and Maribelle), Kellam, Miriel, Panne (I wanted to use her more though, just didn't get around to it), Nowi, Gregor, Tharja, Ricken, Anna, and Say'ri. I barely used Lucina at all as well.

I also didn't use Sumia at all for while until Henry joined so I could pair them.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use Kellam, because he screams "n00b help to me". Comes already at Lv5 and makes the unit he's paired with unkillable on the physical side.

Donnel, too. Instabenched after recruitment. Can't be arsed to train him.

IMO this game has way too many units. I want to use everyone, because I like most of the characters, but it's impossible. :( And then there's the children characters...

You'd have a hard time with that in Radiant Dawn then lol. It has even more playable characters and it's definitely impossible to train everyone. Especially since a few units have absolutely terrible availability. xP

For my Normal Casual file, anybody who does not get Armsthrift will get benched almost immediately after being maxed out.

In my Lunatic Classic file, it's easier to list the units I've actually used: Chrom, male Robin, Sumia, Cordelia and some legacy characters. Frederick got benched not long after he did his job from Prologue to Chapter 4.

For Lunatic+ Classic, that's TBD, though I only use Robin+Cordelia/Chrom and logbook characters in Risen skirmishes.

I usually only use most units until they achieve S support, and then trade them out for the children and a couple of my favorites. Except for Ricken. Ricken will never partake in a single battle, even on his recruitment chapter.

I've never used Frederick as anything more than Sumia's support partner for her first chapter. (I could marry him but nah.)
And recently I've stopped getting Donnel. I just don't need his amazing father-ness for any of the kids.

Frederick except on lunatic, because I don't use "Jagens". I only use the first generation till they marry and learn the skills for their children. Then I mainly use the second generation, because they got better base stats and great skills.

Edited by TalesOf Hysteria

Tiki, Anna, Vaike, Say'ri, Virion, Gregor and Kellam.

Occasionally I will use the dudes up there just enough to have them pass down a decent skill, but after that it is to the bench with them.

You'd have a hard time with that in Radiant Dawn then lol. It has even more playable characters and it's definitely impossible to train everyone. Especially since a few units have absolutely terrible availability. xP

True enough, but surprisingly some of my best units by endgame have bad availability. I use Elincia (she is just so good after mercy is removed with her infinite brave sword), Heather whom I find better than Sothe, Marcia (her availability isn't completely awful but still sub par), and Pelleas (good growths and the only character with access to dark magic in the game, I always have to save bonus exp for him though).

Somehow I always end up using Haar despite my insistence that I won't each play through.

Edited by Raven's Wing

I did a girls only run so I at least made an atttempt to use every first gen female unit in some capacity, some I didn't take all the way through since they join too late with too little stats and too much babying required to really function, though

Out of the guys I only really use Chrom, Fred, Lon'qu, Libra, and male Morgan

The only kids I've used are Lucina, Morgan, and Kjelle

Anyone else I didn't really even try

I think it's probably more effective to name the people I have used tbh since I tend to play semi-centralised and I also have to use at least one of Sully or Panne so space is kinda constricted

Edited by Thor Odinson

Lol, it's probably the FE with less units; I guess it's because they had to write many supports due to the Marriage System.

Which makes me think there are many units in other FEs who are purely redshirts. :(

Actually I was referring to the children. It's an excess of side units not required to beat the game at all.

Yeah, I almost never use any of the kids in the main-game. Hell, I don't even recruit some of them until post-game, because I like to pass down optimal skills which requires grinding, which is easier when you have access to ch 25. I'm looking forward to playing FE4, because that seems like a better way to do children characters.

I also almost never use Maribelle, Miriel, Ricken, Virion, or Cherche until it's time to recruit their kids. Kellam is also not used too frequently.

Frederick because he suffers from Jagen syndrome: nom all the early EXP and get nothing to show for it. Impossible to drag him past the middle game on any difficulty from Hard upwards.

The one time I tried to use him meant that his wife got gimped also because I kept trying to get level ups but it seemed to take three times as long with Frederick than with any other promoted unit (hits min EXP first out of all characters) and his speed is always shocking. It got to the point where enemies in the Valm arc were doubling him.

Contradictory to everyone else I always use Donnel. Drag him through 15 levels of Villager and once you reclass him and give him a forged Bronze (normally around Chapters 8-9) he's dodgetanking most enemies not called Plegian Mage.

Frederick because he suffers from Jagen syndrome: nom all the early EXP and get nothing to show for it. Impossible to drag him past the middle game on any difficulty from Hard upwards.

At the risk of defending said character and causing an unintended event in this thread, Frederick's DEF bonuses as a great knight are a very huge boon when it comes to Lunatic/Lunatic+ with MU, if you so choose to use the tanking/turtling strategy.

Fred is like, almost necessary in harder modes. Fred as a support bot is actually really nice to have during mid-game. So Rey is correct. He sucks as a fronter after a certain point, but in the back, hes kinda gr9.

If you're planning to use a Jagen you give them the boss kills and let the other units take out the mooks. Also I checked out his stats and it turns out with S rank PK Sumia and a speed tonic base Fredrick is still doubling at the start of Valm arc on hard mode. On lunatic all he needs is two speed procs and the afore mentioned stuff to be doubling at the start of Valm. Besides even if he isn't at the front of a pair up the boosts he gives to the lead are amazing for a long time especially that plus 1 move.

Edited by lazydoggamer

If you're planning to use a Jagen you give them the boss kills and let the other units take out the mooks. Also I checked out his stats and it turns out with S rank PK Sumia and a speed tonic base Fredrick is still doubling at the start of Valm arc on hard mode. On lunatic all he needs is two speed procs and the afore mentioned stuff to be doubling at the start of Valm. Besides even if he isn't at the front of a pair up the boosts he gives to the lead are amazing especially that plus 1 move.

Not necessarily. You can Marcus SPAM the early game of FE7 with hardly any consequence later in the game.

And yeah, Fred is definitely usable in the middle game.

Did a quick test on the prologue and yeah it did. Freddy didn't level up even when he had 70ish exp and killed the boss >.>. To be honest I've never actually used him to kill bosses before so I just assumed he would get the same bonus exp everyone else does.

Which makes me think there are many units in other FEs who are purely redshirts. :(

Like who? Wait, have you actually not played any of the other FE games? >:O Go play them! The characters in most other FE games are as memorable if not more than the ones in Awakening, that's a nigh unanimous opinion! Only Inigo can live up to the likes of everyone's beloved Sain. Don't think they contain redshirts just because of the lack of marriage system, if anything it subtracts from characterization because it makes all dads and etc. say the same thing.

There have been two PCs named Wymp over the course of the series:

One is a randomly generated replacement character in Shadow Dragon (no portrait, generic growths, random class) and another is an Avatar from an Outrealm Order in Awakening (random class/appearance, no mods).

If those aren't redshirts, I don't know what is.

I semi-used Ricken, Libra, Sully (which is bad, since she's Chrom's wife...what? It happened by accident.), Cordelia, Say'ri, and Frederick before choosing other units.

I've used almost everyone over the course of my run, but I actually find using Sully unfun because Red Cavaliers who aren't Kieran are just bleh, Vaike and Virion are bad, and Maribelle is outshined.

Of course, I go back and grind everyone for good children on my main file. I've accidentally deleted all, and now I've lost my copy. I guess I need a new one >_>.