FE8 is very bear

seems legit

Maybe I should redownload a new copy of FE8? Maybe it is a joke put in by someone... (I'm pretty sure I never edited it, as this is specifically in my folder where I keep unedited copies, but it could be an issue with the version I downloaded.)

(Though there is a bunch of random shit, Clarine and Douglas are in there twice, Roy and Lyn are in some slots, and there is even a slot before Very Bear with Bear.)

Edited by L95

it's in my copy too, and honestly as far as dumpers messing with the roms they distribute goes, this seems to be far too minor and trivial a thing for anyone to conceivably bother with. my guess is that those strings are oddly-translated remnants of debug functionality, since all the other strings in that area feasibly sound like they could be for that sort of purpose; what these ones are supposed to mean, and why roy, clarine, raven and lucius are being referenced, is anyone's guess

what these ones are supposed to mean, and why roy, clarine, raven and lucius are being referenced, is anyone's guess

Leftover debug data? The FE8 ROM was built from the FE7 variation from the looks of the FE8 beta version.

Leftover debug data? The FE8 ROM was built from the FE7 variation from the looks of the FE8 beta version.

That still doesn't explain why Roy and Clarine are mentioned (seeing as they are FE6 characters).

this seems to be far too minor and trivial a thing for anyone to conceivably bother with

uh yeah Fire Emblem's text is huffman compressed by default, no dumper is going to recalculate the tree for something like that

you'd have an easier time finding a dumped rom with a whole hentai gallery stuffed in the title screen (or something similarly dramatic but less exaggerated that would still get my point across)

kinda funny how I never noticed this even though I wrote the program you found it with

Edited by Aleph

[...] lucius are being referenced, is anyone's guess

Ruthea... OHHHHHHHH, I thought the name sounded familiar. I forgot Lucius' jp name was Ruthea. (and also Leyvan)

It completely skipped my mind to check jp names.

But yeah, it looks like there is a lot of debug menu type stuff at the start of FE8's text. Nothing at the end that I noticed. (Which is where I started :E )

Edited by L95

I thought Rogues already can fix trap tiles?

Pretty sure they can't. But if you have a flier stop on a "pit trap" space in the big bridge stages of FE9 and 10, a land unit can walk over the space without triggering it.

Really? Hm... I seem to remember something about them disabling traps...

Maybe you're right...I don't know...

In FE4, a thief named Deu can unlock a drawbridge so you don't have to go trekking through some mountains.

I was correct. From the wiki: "In Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, Rogues also have the ability to remove traps that are on the map."

Edited by Makaze

So do you mean that in the volcano stage with gorgons, rogues can deactivate the fire spaces??? That's the only trap I can think of...

Oh of course you're talking about the bear traps.

Yes to both.

...I guess a lot of people don't realize that in FE8, if a rogue steps on a lava tile, it no longer functions(shoots fire, I mean)? (Figures that the only "trap" they can disable isn't necessarily a trap and more of a natural formation... :l)

I don't think they can disable the poison vents in Lagdou, I think the actual "trap" tile is in a wall, though. I also don't think they have any effect on the FE6 light arrows on the top floor of Valni either.

Edited by L95