Serenes Forest Smash Club! 3DS Friend Codes/Nintendo Network IDs, screenshots, videos, and more inside!

Anacybele

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My problem was the stage. I'm sorry, but even though I normally don't make special requests anymore, I refuse to play on that Megaman stage. I really hate it. Also, I quit when I suicide. That's no fun.

Also, I'll play again when you take equipment off Mario. I've never seen a Mario move THAT fast. You must've accidentally left speed boosting equipment on him or something. Although, I do also need to brush up on custom moves. A lot of them come completely out of nowhere for me... ._.

GGs otherwise. I wish I knew how people always know exactly what I'm going to do. I don't know what my opponent will do, I'm not a mind reader. So how is it that someone else knows when I'll shield or dodge or slide left or slide right or whatever?

Oh yeah, I think I'm going to drop Ike. Yeah, I mean it this time. I love him, but it's no fun if I just keep killing myself every time I use him. There seems to be no way around it... I'll miss playing him though. I really will. A lot... *sniff*

Edited by Anacybele

It was the Omega. Is that still a problem?

Absolutely none of my sets for any character use equipment. No exceptions. I loathe equipment.

Mario is a very lagless character.

GGs, though, yup.

Edited by Dotty

It was? I couldn't tell, my mistake. Nevermind then, feel free to go Omega on it.

And really? I don't remember him being that fast at all, even in this game. I always have trouble with faster characters, though, I just can't keep up with them... Sigh.

Oh yeah, it was embarrassing to lose to a Zelda because she's supposed to suck, but that Luigi/Zelda match was pretty close and fun. Thank Sakurai for Green Missile misfires. lol

Hey, if you're looking for a few pointers in Smash, I wouldn't mind teaching you for a little. I could probably grab Imp and see what we can rustle up.

mario's a char with good speed (and compared to ike, he's very fast).

Also @Ana, it isn't about knowing what you're going to do, it's throwing out options that:

• Keep you safe from the most likely set of events

• Punish potential advances

So for instance, as Ike v Samus, shorthop Nair approaches cover a lot because it keeps you safe from projectiles since Ragnell cancels out all of Samus's shots sans a full charge beam, and also punishes samus if she decides to charge at you. Also also, it keeps you in the air to put you likely above her grapple beam range. It's the first step towards getting close and initiating combos, but as Ike, I'd have no idea what your long term goal is. The short term is approach safely and potentially score some % on me without getting any on yourself.

Now if I'm samus, I expect you to approach me as that, since it prevents me from throwing out safe grapplebeams, prevents me from firing shots safely and prevents me from charging forward. if I rush backwards to increase space, you come closer until I need to doublejump over you or something. Then, you'd be expected to punish my landing.

It's optimal play because it covers the most options.

Huh? I don't know what you mean by "Imp" but that's okay, I don't think a teacher can help me. I don't learn very well when one tries to explain things to me, I usually just get lost in confusion... I feel like I just need to keep playing and watch some videos, perhaps. Maybe change one of my mains too given how well I'm liking Dark Pit's feel. I may just full out trade in Ike for him, in fact, so Luigi isn't my only real main.

EDIT: Yeah, see, I tried to read your post there, Elie, but I just ended up confused in the end... My dumb autistic brain is just not wired for explanations... :(

Also, I was using Luigi in that Mario match, not Ike. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Jotaru Kujo originally went by TheTinyImp or Timp/Imp for short.

Also @ Ana, check this particular scene out (it's a shadowofchaos video but just a few seconds can show you basically what goes through the mind of me, and what I assume you try to do as well). It summarizes what, with time and training, you'll be able to do, as you'll learn that characters have only so many ways to come at you from certain angles, and you just throw out moves that handle the majority of those outcomes...or you improvise when they don't

https://youtu.be/JT8oXVViEKg?t=50s

Edited by Elieson

Based on my matches with you, Ana, the most pressing thing I think you can work on is moving around effectively.

Throughout the matches, there were a lot of times you were standing in one place throwing out tilts even though I wasn't next to you or even near you.

Learning how to jump, dash and walk at the right times makes a surprisingly large difference in how often you get caught out.

(Note: I don't mention rolling or spot dodging because it's bad to rely on them and skilled foes will catch you if you overuse them.)

Well, I do try to use a fine balance of dodging and blocking... Because I know it's better to block in some situations than dodge.

But I see, I do understand the movement thing you're talking about. Although, sometimes I might not actually mean to tilt, I dunno. I do need to learn to get my button presses right. I sometimes even do the wrong taunt...

Anywho, I have a room up again.

EDIT: Oh, Elie, thanks. I'll look at that when I can.

Edited by Anacybele

Some characters have better frame data then other characters. You must know Neutral if you are gonna play competetivly. Ikes Aether can snap ledge in the front, but they nerfed it so you cant snap behind you like in Brawl. You can also mix up what you do to get your opponet by surpirse. I also loathe equipment and dont play customs at all because I dont like it and its not allowed for tourney unless its a custom tourney. Mario is safe, Ike has good range so use that. Don't use the same pattern as well. Inputs like short hop landing cancel and good movement can be great. Fastfalling Aerials cancel the end lag so thats great. Playing on a controller that suits you is great as well. Love my gamecube controller and it feels good. Search up videos on competetive play, they helped me. Even if I play well, I like to improve more. Dont give up, you can do it. Also I hate regular stages, they kill me for no reason and that's quite confusing. I like tourney legal or Omega.

Edited by Radiance

Yeah, I know all of that. Why do you think I use the Pro Controller instead of anything else? I like it best.

I don't play with equipment either, I don't like it. Custom moves are just fine though, they make some characters better, like Ike. He needs Close Combat, for example, it's way better than regular Quick Draw. I disagree that they should be illegal in tourneys too for this exact reason. It isn't fair to characters who are more viable with them and people that like using these characters.

But I'm through playing Smash. I'll never get any better. I just can't learn. I can understand things people say as well as anyone, but it means squat if I can't actually execute them, which I never can. And some things are just not possible for me to understand. Smash isn't my type of game, that's that, and I just have to live with it. Guess I won't be buying anymore Smash games either, there wouldn't be any point in it.

I won't keep playing if all I'll ever do is get beat up and lose horribly regardless of what I do or what character I use. I don't have any fun, and if I don't have fun, what's the point in playing? So, have fun without me, peeps. Don't try to talk me out of this either, I tried my best. It just wasn't enough.

Yeah, I know all of that. Why do you think I use the Pro Controller instead of anything else? I like it best.

I don't play with equipment either, I don't like it. Custom moves are just fine though, they make some characters better, like Ike. He needs Close Combat, for example, it's way better than regular Quick Draw. I disagree that they should be illegal in tourneys too for this exact reason. It isn't fair to characters who are more viable with them and people that like using these characters.

But I'm through playing Smash. I'll never get any better. I just can't learn. I can understand things people say as well as anyone, but it means squat if I can't actually execute them, which I never can. And some things are just not possible for me to understand. Smash isn't my type of game, that's that, and I just have to live with it. Guess I won't be buying anymore Smash games either, there wouldn't be any point in it.

I won't keep playing if all I'll ever do is get beat up and lose horribly regardless of what I do or what character I use. I don't have any fun, and if I don't have fun, what's the point in playing? So, have fun without me, peeps. Don't try to talk me out of this either, I tried my best. It just wasn't enough.

Personally I think thats false. You can learn, just takes time and effort. If your not having fun, its understandable to not play. Its something that should not be depressed of. I use to suck at this game until I learned and it took a while. Dont act like your bad, any mistake can be fixed. Thats all I will say, but consider before you quit.

I've tried to learn though, and I end up feeling like I'm not learning anything... I just don't think it's a simple "mistake."

But I am considering a different approach now. It just happened to cross my mind.

I mainy really enjoy playing on insane stages like Midgar and Gaur Plains. Idk why people think tournament legal is the end all be all. As a Kirby fan, I like Dream Land. As a Xenoblade fan, I like Gaur Plains.

I just play on stages from stuff I like. I don't care if they're balanced or not if I'm fighting to Engage the Enemy.

so yeah if I played in this topic i'd be playing stages like wily castle endlessly

I've tried to learn though, and I end up feeling like I'm not learning anything... I just don't think it's a simple "mistake."

But I am considering a different approach now. It just happened to cross my mind.

Every loss is a lesson. When I lose, I find what I did wrong. Trust me, your learning, but focus on a character that you feel good with, then use other characters. Ask for help and search for vids. We all have advice thats unique.

I never find what I did wrong though, other than maybe being too predictable, which I don't know how NOT to do... And yeah, that's why I refreshed myself with Ike, Luigi, Robin, Toon Link, and Mii Swordfighter before officially picking up Dark Pit. I want to be good with my mains first off.

Also, btw Dusk, you use a lot of characters... Were you playing random? :P

Also, btw Dusk, you use a lot of characters... Were you playing random? :P

I have a rough understanding on most of the characters in the game. If I'm not using Falco, Fox, Cloud, or Roy, though, I'm probably playing for fun, and not being 100% serious

For what it's worth, not all players are happiest/most comfortable with the main that they want. I assure you I had no intention of maining King Dedede or Little Mac when this game came out. In fact, I relatively disliked King Dedede in general and thought Little Mac was nothing more than a joke character for the roster. Now, I have more fun as them than as anybody else.

I hope you feel like your preference for playing Ike & co is because you feel most comfortable as them, rather than just because you like them for [reason]

Well, at first it was because I just like them a lot. And then I felt like they were comfortable too, because I like the tanky powerhouse peeps a lot. Which Ike is. And I made my primary Mii Swordfighter, Frederick, like this too. He's a large Mii, so as a result, he's slow and tanky. Robin is hilariously slow. And I was never good with fast characters, because I can't keep up with them (yeah, not only can I not keep up with them when I'm fighting against them, I can't even play AS them for the same reason). Luigi I've been using for years and in every Smash game I've played now, so I'm pretty used to him at this point, even though he's not slow. And I know Toon Link isn't slow either, but I can actually keep up with him somehow. It seems to be only REALLY fast characters like ZSS, Falco, Fox, etc. that I can't handle.

I also am pretty used to sword-wielding characters. Luigi is the only character I've ever used a lot that does not use a blade of any kind. It's still true even with Dark Pit in my group now. And will STILL be true when I pick up Corrin!

Dusk: Ah, I see.

Edited by Anacybele

For fast characters you should fox trot. Its just flicking the stick. I am used to Ike since brawl and they really buffed him. Thank goodness his speed is faster than Brawl. He also got new combos and reduced end lag on some moves. I used Ike because I thought he was the coolest character in the game in Brawl

Edited by Radiance