Disappointing character endings.

Dragoncat

Geoffrey never refers to Elincia as his sister. Only Lucia does. And considering he was raised as a knight, he probably was taught not to see her as such. And, correct me if I remember it wrong, it sounded like Elincia lived at the castle for some time before she was sent away. So they wouldn't be too young when she came to them.

That said the Westermark Effect doesn't have a 100% accuracy.

Rolf and Mist never refer to each other as siblings either, yet them seeing one another as such is now said to be plausible. And Elincia was still raised in the royal villa from childhood. Geoffrey even mentions this in his support with Callil. He says that Lucia and Elincia chased him around when they were kids.

I did always feel that Elincia saw Geoffrey as a brother figure though, so her getting a marriage ending with him shocked me more than anything.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rolf and Mist never refer to each other as siblings either, yet them seeing one another as such is now said to be plausible. And Elincia was still raised in the royal villa from childhood. Geoffrey even mentions this in his support with Callil. He says that Lucia and Elincia chased him around when they were kids.

I did always feel that Elincia saw Geoffrey as a brother figure though, so her getting a marriage ending with him shocked me more than anything.

I don't think they don't need to call themselves siblings. If the relationship between them shows their "siblingness" well enough then I can identify it as such. Mist and Rolf were such a case for me.

I felt the opposite, but really, who cares. You'll ship Ike/Elincia and I ship Elincia/Geoffrey. We can peacefully coexist as long as one side doesn't get nasty.

I felt the opposite, but really, who cares. You'll ship Ike/Elincia and I ship Elincia/Geoffrey. We can peacefully coexist as long as one side doesn't get nasty.

Yeah. But it still never made sense to me for Elincia to call Lucia her sister, but Geoffrey not her brother as well since Lucia and Geoffrey are blood siblings... Plus, the way she so formally treats Geoffrey sometimes, particularly in RD.

Geoffrey: I am yours.

Elincia: Geoffrey, you are surely my finest and most faithful knight.

Honestly, I can see Renning saying those exact same words to Geoffrey, they're so formal. I do believe Geoffrey had a crush on Elincia, at least for a time, though.

But as you said, we have different views and must accept that. Things can be interpreted differently by different people.

I blame RD's lack of character interaction more than anything for all this confusion. What happened to the relationships made in PoR? How come bond supports were so picky? Why is Ike so dull now and what's up with his ending?

This is why I tend to look down upon the game.

That said the Westermark Effect doesn't have a 100% accuracy.

In Fire Emblem it's more like 30%. Alm and Celica, Leif and Nanna, Altena and Arion... and two of these are fixed in canon. Not to mention the whole weird thing with Micaiah and Sothe...

Yeah, some of the writing was a downer in RD, I agree with that. It made a lot of the pairings that got endings seem kind of out of nowhere. I might have liked Geoffrey x Elincia more if they'd gotten better attention. And maybe if NoA hadn't added in all the Ike x Elincia teasing... I mean, while I'm fine with Ike getting with a female that's not named Elincia (unless her name is Mia since I dislike her a lot), I can't stand to see Elincia with anyone else. I CAN change my mind on pairings. It might not be really easy, but I can. I used to prefer Eliwood x Lyn, but now I totally love Hector x Lyn, for example.

And at first, I hated the idea of Naesala getting with Leanne because I thought the former was such a dick that Leanne deserved way better. She's so kind and sweet. But then we discover that Naesala did legitimately love and care for her and that he only did what he did because his people were under a blood pact that the previous raven king signed. I really like them together now.

In Fire Emblem it's more like 30%. Alm and Celica, Leif and Nanna, Altena and Arion... and two of these are fixed in canon. Not to mention the whole weird thing with Micaiah and Sothe...

lol, that's true.

Also, hi mark <3 crimsonmorgan here.

Edited by General Asthar

As I said earlier, the Westermarck effect seems to crop up a lot in fiction. It's almost a sigh of relief that they decided to invert the usual childhood friend relationship and put a somewhat realistic spin on it.

That Westermarck effect thing...it makes sense I suppose. I had never heard of it before. Wonder what would happen if two kids were close up until they were like 5 or 6, then after that for whatever reason, they're separated/don't see each other as much? Would they still be that way or not?

Doesn't always happen though, as has been pointed out. I wish I had an irl example but I don't. And on the other hand, you'd think since they already know each other it would be easier to get a relationship going? Idk...

That Westermarck effect thing...it makes sense I suppose. I had never heard of it before. Wonder what would happen if two kids were close up until they were like 5 or 6, then after that for whatever reason, they're separated/don't see each other as much? Would they still be that way or not?

Doesn't always happen though, as has been pointed out. I wish I had an irl example but I don't. And on the other hand, you'd think since they already know each other it would be easier to get a relationship going? Idk...

To give an example of the Westermarck Effect being subverted in real life, the Ancient Egyptian Royalty were aware of it but they also had the belief that they were of pure blood and their bloodline shouldn't be diluted. So they would raise male and female siblings in different houses until they were old enough to marry and would feel comfortable doing so. At least that's what I've heard. I wasn't personally hanging around ancient Egypt at the time.

Edited by Jotari

I hadn't heard of it either, to be honest. But would this mean that the way I've done Frederick's relationship with a childhood friend in fanfiction doesn't make sense? He was growing up with this friend until they were around ten years old, and then Frederick left his village to become a knight. He didn't see his friend for almost fourteen years. But even after reuniting, they remained very close.

I really liked how I did this too...

Oh, but I also did something a bit similar in a Zelda story. Two friends were together until eight years old, and were separated for seven years with no contact. But fell in love when they reunited.

Edited by Anacybele

To give an example of the Westermarck Effect being subverted in real life, the Ancient Egyptian Royalty were aware of it but they also had the belief that they were of pure blood and their bloodline shouldn't be diluted. So they would raise male and female siblings in different houses until they were old enough to marry and would feel comfortable doing so. At least that's what I've heard. I wasn't personally hanging around ancient Egypt at the time.

Omg. That's pretty messed up. They did similar things with ancient Europe, cousins marrying cousins...

Things were pretty messed up back in the day anyway.

I hadn't heard of it either, to be honest. But would this mean that the way I've done Frederick's relationship with a childhood friend in fanfiction doesn't make sense? He was growing up with this friend until they were around ten years old, and then Frederick left his village to become a knight. He didn't see his friend for almost fourteen years. But even after reuniting, they remained very close.

I really liked how I did this too...

Idk, you mean Ralph? I don't think it counts with non romantic relationships.

Then you should be fine. Freddy isn't going to marry Ralph, he don't swing that way, as you've proven.

But I'm not the Westermarck effect expert. The article on it didn't say anything about same gender remaining friends/not remaining friends either way though.

OMG the naked poster again.

I meant, since Ana paired her avatar with him and they have two kids...yeah.

could possibly be bi

Lol.

As far as the friendship goes...I'd say why not. I've known my best friend since we were like 2.

Edited by Dragoncat

No. The posters were funnier (if only because Lissa got to see them). Regardless, yes, it would have been very funny.

I think that's just the general problem. A lot of the characters just didn't get ANYTHING while the ones that did seemed... random. Zihark and Ilyana don't get one? Titania doesn't get one? Oscar and Tanith don't get one? But MAKALOV gets one? HAAR? No offense to Haar, he's a great fighter and all, but in terms of story importance and pairing he's just so out of the blue. Yet he gets Jill while others just get outright shafted and get no special endings at all.

Fire Emblem 4 has some derped endings. Let's say Azel is the father of Arthur and Teeny. Arthur will always be the heir to Velthomer, and Teeny will always be at Freege. However, even if Teeny is paired up with someone, their relationship goes unmentioned.

I also don't like how Finn always stays with Leif even if he has a child.

Soren's ending(s).

You all know my OTP, and it is not Soren/Ike. The fact Soren either vanishes with Ike, or fades into obscurity, really boils my beans.

His tuckus should be on that Daein throne! :U

*furiously outlines potential fanfiction*