Windows 10

blyegg

Windows 7 is the last operating system I will use.

Windows 8 is pretty much bad as far as desktop/laptop operating systems go, due to it being heavily tabletized and casualized, and it doesn't help that it's been getting lots of praise (even compared to Vista). From what I have been seeing in Windows 10 so far (why they skipped 9 is beyond me...oh wait), it isn't getting better.

Not to mention that Windows in general is pretty crappy compared to Linux and Macintosh due to being more vulnerable, unstable, inefficient (processing wise), etc.

The only reason that I continue to use Windows is because of all the dickriding done by support provided by companies (especially video game companies) and software developers.

all it really takes is change your pc so it boots into desktop and download start8 for your start menu -> bam, Windows 7+, not W8

and if that doesnt work out, become a swedish pirate

(on a laptop, ofc)

Edited by Kisara

Not to mention that Windows in general is pretty crappy compared to Linux and Macintosh due to being more vulnerable, unstable, inefficient (processing wise), etc.

Back this up. With sources. Every OS has its own share of problems, and the only "better" I see are the Linux distros' responses to major bugs.

Ahem. . .I seriously hope the taskbar comes back as a taskbar. Trying to find the stuff I care about (usually named "Control Panel") on Windows 8 is a nightmare.

Windows does what I need it to do so I don't see the need for "manipulating" my OS like the Linux "fans" say. Of course, I'd be happily proven wrong, as I openly support open source software, but so far I don't see the need for me (and the average user) to migrate.

Edited by Cerberus87

Ahem. . .I seriously hope the taskbar comes back as a taskbar. Trying to find the stuff I care about (usually named "Control Panel") on Windows 8 is a nightmare.

If you're running 8.1, you can right click the Windows icon in the bottom left and you will get access to most basic services quicker than even Windows 7. If you're using Windows 8, the windows key + x should open up the same menu.

Assuming you're using a laptop/desktop of course.

Edited by Tangerine

Back this up. With sources. Every OS has its own share of problems, and the only "better" I see are the Linux distros' responses to major bugs.

Go to the start menu and just start typing "control panel". It'll automatically search for it and find it. In fact if you want to search for something specific just type that - I find myself typing "Add/Remove Programs" a lot.

I have no issues with 8.1. I absolutely hated how 8 functioned, but getting my start menu back and setting everything to desktop mode made it pretty swag.

Unfortunately 8 is thought for people with touchpads, which was a silly move by Microsoft. I imagine it sucks on a desktop and laptops without touchscreens.

I didn't update my desktop because 1) I built it in 2012 with W7 and 2) W8 isn't a significant upgrade anyway.

If you're running 8.1, you can right click the Windows icon in the bottom left and you will get access to most basic services quicker than even Windows 7. If you're using Windows 8, the windows key + x should open up the same menu.

Assuming you're using a laptop/desktop of course.

Go to the start menu and just start typing "control panel". It'll automatically search for it and find it. In fact if you want to search for something specific just type that - I find myself typing "Add/Remove Programs" a lot.

This is on other people's laptops. I'm not switching to Windows 8 unless all my current computers die or something - every time I'd try to do something that I'd need to do, I'd end up in Not-Desktop mode. I think I'll put that Windows Key + X taped somewhere, thanks~!

I'm still using my dinosaur of a Windows Vista to this day, so...

As long as you're not on XP~!

For all the complaints I have about Windows, the one thing I will stand by them for is the fact that they announce when their stuff is no longer gonna be supported (pretty sure most Linux distros do this, too).

For all the complaints I have about Windows, the one thing I will stand by them for is the fact that they announce when their stuff is no longer gonna be supported (pretty sure most Linux distros do this, too).

They do for the non-rolling distros...

For the rolling-releases one like Debian-testing or Gentoo you don't have to upgrade since it's constantly updated... :/

---

One of the main reasons I dislike Windows (And Mac OS) is because of the lack of customization. (You cannot change your desktop environment that easily like in GNU/Linux or BSD)

Edited by Naughx

I'm dead serious about it being a dinosaur, it's about five years old.

FIVE. YEARS.

You're confusing Windows XP with Windows 7. Too much information on Windows.

Support for XP finally ended in April 2014. Dunno if Windows 10 will shove Windows 7 out early, but I hope not!