Palutena's Guidance is amazing.

solrocknroll

I agree that this just seems like Sakurai wanted to have the codecs, but couldn't because Snake wasn't in the game; you can see how this limited the design of these segments in a couple of places (OK, just one haha). For one thing, the codecs stopping as soon as fighting started made sense within that context, because Snake never fought while talking on the codex. Here, it doesn't, because for most of Uprising, you fight while these conversations are taking place. I figure they stuck to the same format because that's how they did it in the last game rather than because that's what would make sense for this game or what would work best.

Another thing that bothers me is how...reverent most of the comments are. Like they're just saying "yeah, all of these dudes are the best, go buy Nintendo games today". Snake offered an interesting perspective into these characters that we hadn't seen or thought of before, which is why they were so entertaining. This...not so much. Some of them just feel a little too clinical considering the cast of characters, and Pit's irrelevant comments can be really annoying at times. To be fair, they do make some amusing comments every once in a while, so it's not all bad (also some of them do offer that interesting perspective that I mentioned earlier). Some of the best ones are the conversations which make nods to popular fan theories or speculation, simply because I didn't expect that from Nintendo. Also the Viridi ones on a whole were more entertaining; Palutena's personality just isn't particularly interesting to me.

EDIT Actually I like them more than I thought before. I guess some of the earlier ones were just unusually boring and lame.

Edited by Refa

uhh

Not only does Orbital Gate Assault get ones, Lylat Cruise has them too.

The only question is if Lylat Cruise gets dem assault voices.

. . .Orbital what. . .

It sort of exists on the 3DS version, but either I really suck at this taunting thing, I somehow didn't see a stage, or it only works on original Corneria and requires Fox (though it was well worth the giggles). I STILL MISS THE REST OF 'EM, THOUGH!

. . .Orbital what. . .

It sort of exists on the 3DS version, but either I really suck at this taunting thing, I somehow didn't see a stage, or it only works on original Corneria and requires Fox (though it was well worth the giggles). I STILL MISS THE REST OF 'EM, THOUGH!

On 3DS, it's Corneria.

On Wii U, it's http://www.ssbwiki.com/Orbital_Gate_Assault and Lylat Cruise

Edited by Apricot Luma

I think that because I enjoyed Uprising so much, I'm in love with the new codecs. If you didn't play Uprising or didn't like it, I can absolutely understand why you don't like these new codecs.

Uprising conversations were never about being interesting or informative. They were about being silly with the characters, and that's what all of the Palutena Guidance are.

For one thing, the codecs stopping as soon as fighting started made sense within that context, because Snake never fought while talking on the codex.

Umm... in Brawl, you get Snake to sit there for a bit to activate the convo.

If successful, he can fight as normal while the conversation was taking place.

It only stopped if he DIED.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Perhaps Nintendo felt that the fans would've been upset if the Japanese and English games had two different convos for certain people?

Shulk's references the meme-esque character Reyn from Xenoblade,

iirc, I'm pretty sure Reyn's signature quotes in Xenoblade aren't in the Japanese version.

So Japan has no "REYN TIME!" or make anyone "look like a buncha jokers". And certainly, they won't remember to be sure to "not lose our heads though!"

I watched all of the Palutena's guidances, and I have to say I'm really missing Snake and his codec right now...

I mean, Palutena's guidance is all right, I just really preferred Snake's codecs.

Edited by Monado Boy

They did a good job making it feel Uprising like

Although Mario and Luigi's felt a little too close to Snakes original codecs imo. Other then you know Pit fanboying for Mario.

I think that because I enjoyed Uprising so much, I'm in love with the new codecs. If you didn't play Uprising or didn't like it, I can absolutely understand why you don't like these new codecs.

Uprising conversations were never about being interesting or informative. They were about being silly with the characters, and that's what all of the Palutena Guidance are.

I loved Uprising and its dialogue but these ones are hit and miss in my opinion. Something about them feels very off and I can't point my finger to it. They aren't exactly bad but none of them really made me laugh. At least Palutena says Fart so that Palutena butt shaking gif is at least somewhat useful.

Edited by kingddd

There was no Hades. Hades had the best dialogue in KI:U. Viridi was a reeaaaallllyyyy distant second.

Like holy shit, everything Hades said was bust out loud laughing worthy. I feel like some of them could be better, but it still captured KI:U perfectly.

Except there was no Hades. I also want Ali Hillis back for Palutena. Pally's new voice sounds too... serious. Ali Hillis perfectly captured the goofy, all knowing goddess that Palutena was in KI:U.

I'm also kinda miffed that Chrom was the only cameo (Pittoo doesn't count). The 50FE made it seem like there would be more. I was hoping for Doc Louis to show up for Mac or for DunDun or Reyn to show up for Shulk.

Oh yeah, and would Dark Pit working for Viridi count as canon?

There was no Hades. Hades had the best dialogue in KI:U. Viridi was a reeaaaallllyyyy distant second.

Like holy shit, everything Hades said was bust out loud laughing worthy. I feel like some of them could be better, but it still captured KI:U perfectly.

Except there was no Hades. I also want Ali Hillis back for Palutena. Pally's new voice sounds too... serious. Ali Hillis perfectly captured the goofy, all knowing goddess that Palutena was in KI:U.

I'm also kinda miffed that Chrom was the only cameo (Pittoo doesn't count). The 50FE made it seem like there would be more. I was hoping for Doc Louis to show up for Mac or for DunDun or Reyn to show up for Shulk.

Oh yeah, and would Dark Pit working for Viridi count as canon?

They already justified why Hades isn't there though.

he's dead

But then again, this is smash bros

Umm... in Brawl, you get Snake to sit there for a bit to activate the convo.

If successful, he can fight as normal while the conversation was taking place.

It only stopped if he DIED.

Yeah, I'm dumb.

he's dead

Well duh I know that much I beat the game lol. But since when does SSB follow canon? Considering how much fourth wall l breaking there was in KI:U they could have easily chalked it up to "crossovers don't follow canon".

he's dead

[spoiler=Kid Icarus Uprsising Spoiler]Considering Hades' secret message after the end credits, I don't see why that would suddenly stop him.

Edited by BrightBow

Eh, I remember seeing one pun (don't remember which one) that didn't translate well, but it was left in. Perhaps Nintendo felt that the fans would've been upset if the Japanese and English games had two different convos for certain people?

It's weird though, for Uprising Sakurai told the localization team to go all out and change whatever they deem more fitting for a non-Japanese audience. From what I hear, the writing does differ quite a lot in some places.

Maybe Smash is just this big a deal to Nintendo and such a huge crossover where everything has to intrinsically fit together that Sakurai wants to make sure even the dialogue fits together in all regions?

Edited by Ike-Mike