It's Amiibo time

Robinigo

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woah

Amiibo aren't region locked?

I could get my hands on a Eu/Ja amiibo and theoretically be functional with it?

Yes. The only issue is shipping which can double the price for a single amiibo.

Woah

Amiibo aren't region locked?

I could get my hands on a Eu/Ja amiibo and theoretically be functional with it?

It's not that they aren't region-locked, it's that every amiibo is the same. There's no such thing as a "Japanese amiibo" or "American amiibo" aside from the packaging.

Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/150217/index.html

33l.jpg

If I recall correctly, I remember some members here suggesting that Nintendo bring more amiibo to the US (and / or Canada) due to how densely populated this is.

And according to Nintendo's Third Quarter Financial Report regarding Smash News and amiibo News, it's been shown that the US and Canada get 63% of amiibo shipments. That is a hell of a lot of amiibo, so I don't think it's that we get too little amiibo; I think it's actually because amiibo is too popular in America.

And THIS is the most popular / demanded amiibo in each region. It's not entirely perfect, but there's no reason for it to be drastically off:

[spoiler=Regional Sales Ranking Chart]34l.jpg

Australia must like their ladies, if Peach, Zelda, and Rosalina can all make it on that list! Honestly, I was surprised to see Peach on the US list at all! Maybe she's more popular / requested than we think!

And below here, I'm not quite to sure what "Top Sell-Through" means myself, though I'll probably find out soon. Just thought I'd share.

[spoiler=Top Regional Retail Sell-Through Rate Chart]35l.jpg

AND FINALLY, since this is a Fire Emblem forum, Fire Emblem If is confirmed to be released in 2015, though I'm not really sure if that's just Japan or if it's everyone (since Awakening was released a year later than Japan's release date).

16l.jpg

Edited by Carter

It's not just you. I can't see the first three images either. It's kind of interesting that both Xenoblade and FE are in that last image I can see, though. Didn't realize that they were considered "big" now.

To be completely honest I think this amiibo idea is silly. Any add-on content to me is kind of a rip-off, though it can be good. I guess I'm just a newb with an old man mindset that the whole game should be on one cartridge/disk and nothing else. I got one for my little brother, who recently brought 4 more home. I haven't taken a look at them, though I do know that they're unboxed now and will be used. May as well see what they do, amirite? In any case, once I buy FE amiibos I expect to get meher quality than the Pikachu my bro so graciously purchased for me.

I find it funny that people complain about DLC today, but never complained about expansion packs back in the nineties or 2000s. They were basically the same, except you had to buy another disc and for pretty much the same price as the game it goes with.

I would say that today's DLC is actually more lenient.

Edited by Anacybele

I find it funny that people complain about DLC today, but never complained about expansion packs back in the nineties or 2000s. They were basically the same, except you had to buy another disc and for pretty much the same price as the game it goes with.

Probably because they were never around for expansion packs. I only got myself modernized in gaming circa 2011, before then it was only a GBA for me.

I agree with your second point, and I like Awakening's Dlc, sorry to go off-track a bit, despite not liking it in general. I'd prefer to spend 12 bucks on Awakening maps than a figure that has compatibility with games I probably won't play besides Smash 4.

Probably because they were never around for expansion packs. I only got myself modernized in gaming circa 2011, before then it was only a GBA for me.

I agree with your second point, and I like Awakening's Dlc, sorry to go off-track a bit, despite not liking it in general. I'd prefer to spend 12 bucks on Awakening maps than a figure that has compatibility with games I probably won't play besides Smash 4.

To be fair most of the expansion packs back then were pretty much adding 50 to 100% of value to the content to the game. For example, the Age of Empires Expansions were amazing considering what you get from the base game to the expansion. Not only did you get new soldiers and countries to play with, it also added lots of new maps and new campaigns that were equivalent to the base game.

Most of the modern DLCs stereotypes put down by many people because most of them are costumes, skins/cosmetics and ingame content that is already there during release but are locked out and prevented you from playing it. Not to mention the prices on many of these can be absurd depending on the price. When it comes to DLCs, most people want actual gameplay content that is worth their time which is why a lot of us praise the Mario Kart 8 DLC because the price to value ratio is huge.

I praise the Hyrule Warriors DLC because it gives you a lot of content for a nice price too.

But yeah, on-disc DLC that's locked until you buy it is just ripping people off. But other DLC is still amazing, as you guys mentioned.

People definitely complained about expansion packs back in the day, even if some were great value.

The most common problem with Expansion packs is that a lot of people bought them thinking they were buying a whole game. Imagine their surprise when they got home and they found out they had nothing to expand.

At least in the context of Amiibos, it's a rip-off. They don't provide 13 bucks of game content. In fact, it's just a plastic figure. So in regards to games, they don't provide anything at all besides an absimal tiny amount of memory space. And for that money, I can easily get a 32gb SD card while Amiibos can't even store data from more then one game at once.

Of course if Nintendo wouldn't use Amiibos as the sole way of unlocking certain stuff, I would be all for these things. Because as figures, they are awesome.

Edited by BrightBow

Yeah, but the thing with Amiibos is that you're also getting a cool figure out of the deal, not just game content. Figures take time to make just like that game content does. Plus, they can be used over and over in multiple games to unlock stuff.

I get the amiibo more so from the figure aspect of it $13 for the detail they put into these things is pretty killer even some of the more complicated ones like Marth, Ike, and Shulk look great and the quality of the build is pretty good. Plus this is probably one of the few times Nintendo is going to release official licensed figures for all of their franchises (I'm speaking mostly for FE here).

I also like them because its like actually owning the trophies from smash. Which when I look at it that way I think is pretty cool.

Taco's got the right of it! Amiibo is also bringing me that official Ike figure I've been waiting so long to see. And with RD IKE'S design no less! He's the best looking version of Ike out there, imo. <3 This is literally like a dream come true for me.

Edited by Anacybele