SSB4's view of Chrom

Jedi

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you have to account popularity and exposure pretty heavily, and it's a marquee series with one of the only characters to have two FE games to his name where he was a protagonist. I don't think they'll be looking too much into plot and origins - just big faces from the key video games.

As much as I enjoyed proving people who wanted Chrom wrong, the insults just exceeded way beyond than I expected, and I start to feel like this is a bit too much. Heck, even the Palutena's Guidance of Robin just shoved way more salt into their wounds.

Before, people would rebut Robin's low chance with the fact that he's a player character who can be customized *cough* Villager *cough* Link *cough* Mii. In fact, the fact that a majority of people thought that Chrom would be playable irritated me to no end, and probably other people who don't like Chrom. It was all because of either a) Gematsu Leak or b) because he's the main lord.

As much as Sakurai made a wiser investment in Robin, Chrom could have had good potential as his own character, yet there was nothing too special about him. But, Nintendo is famous for making even crazy things work (Wii Fit Trainer, Miis, R.O.B being playable characters) which gave Chrom a chance.

I guess the amount of satire of Chrom's failure to enter makes up for the large amount of people who automatically assumed he would be playable.

http://matsu-sensei.deviantart.com/art/Not-Today-468184248 Here's what Captain Falcon did to the Gematsu Leak...

It's true he's one of the lesser popular lords, but a lot of Japanese fans don't mind that he's in.

Really? When Ike first got revealed back in May though, people linked all kinds of comments from Japanese that were just plain mean to the poor guy. They called Ike a gorilla and stuff and seemed pretty disappointed. :(

But maybe that was just a minority. So if you're right, it's good to hear. ^^

I don't think the smash world would give them a lance or an axe because that isn't in line with the public perception. As for medium-weight attacks, there's only so many ways you can have someone swing a sword from a series like FE which doesn't give producers much to work with... but idkFor FE Reps, it's pretty simple- Marth - marquee Lord- Ike - most popular and common lord in the west- Lucina - generated most of the mystery in FE13- Robin - main character in FE13 with a lot of gimmick potential

On an unrelated note, Final Fantasy Dissidia gave Cecil a lance (probably as a nod to Kain before he was playable in 012) so it wouldn't be totally out of left field for me to see a fighter do that.

I agree with your points though.

I guess I'll repeat something I said way earlier in this thread. Chrom and Lucina could've very well had unique moves, but the fact of the matter is that Robin is even more unique than either of them because magic and no blue hair.

You may already realize this, but the situations aren't comparable because Dissidia applies to a very niche fanbase whereas Smash is all-encompassing.

I do I was just saying it was a possible workaround an unlikely one but one none the less.

I guess I'll repeat something I said way earlier in this thread. Chrom and Lucina could've very well had unique moves, but the fact of the matter is that Robin is even more unique than either of them because magic and no blue hair.

Magic is a given obviously, but the blue hair argument is a bit silly that's like saying Smash has too many people with hats.

I personally think the way to make Chrom/Lucina more unique would have been to give them the reclass possibilities.

I also appreciate how Robin brought weapon durability into smash just as a nod.

that's like saying Smash has too many people with hats.

this isn't a good comparison because "hat" is a way broader thing than "blue hair"

I personally think the way to make Chrom/Lucina more unique would have been to give them the reclass possibilities.

As interesting as this would have been, I honestly don't think that Chrom would have been a good use of programmer/graphical resources; in the end he would likely have played like a cross between marth and ike (MAYBE you could throw spears on him as a nod to his alt weapons) because that's what's iconic about him. they're not going to bother making an entire moveset around some niche things that only people who know the games really well would understand, that's just poor planning

what's more is that the only really feasible way to do this is to use a transforming mechanic ala pokemon trainer and zelda/sheik. beyond the first concern of this being even more of an investment (as they now have to code 3 or 4 different playables as opposed to 1), it's also probably a balancing nightmare. to say nothing of the fact that reclassing isn't really iconic to these characters outside of the FE view - It makes sense for pokemon trainer because that's pretty much the entire purpose of the game, it makes sense for zelda/sheik because it's a crucial part of her character in her most iconic role (OoT). It is not iconic to Chrom/Lucina (I *suppose* the case could be made for robin but they're not going to code magic + transforming for him), it's just another (minor, from a broader point of view) aspect of their game

besides, they've apparently been trying to remove transforming characters anyway

As interesting as this would have been, I honestly don't think that Chrom would have been a good use of programmer/graphical resources; in the end he would likely have played like a cross between marth and ike (MAYBE you could throw spears on him as a nod to his alt weapons) because that's what's iconic about him. they're not going to bother making an entire moveset around some niche things that only people who know the games really well would understand, that's just poor planning

I'm neutral on this argument but I think I should add in that Captain Falcon only uses a car in his final smash and that's his iconic thing.

the idea is that people know who Captain Falcon is (and F-zero was kinda popular at the time) and they had to create some sort of moveset for him anyway

Pretty funny that Falcon Punch/Kick started in smash...

Still...it was no excuse to cut Chrom from being playable when he could have been unique enough if they made him use lances.

the idea is that people know who Captain Falcon is (and F-zero was kinda popular at the time) and they had to create some sort of moveset for him anyway

Pretty funny that Falcon Punch/Kick started in smash...

That's something fans don't really think about anymore in regards to Smash. A lot of characters such as the famous Captain Falcon had all of their moves made from scratch, so it's not a stretch to think that Chrom or Lucina could have had their own unique moves.

Edited by Monado Boy

the idea is that people know who Captain Falcon is (and F-zero was kinda popular at the time) and they had to create some sort of moveset for him anywayPretty funny that Falcon Punch/Kick started in smash...

Captain Falcons move set originated from before Smash was a Nintendo all stars fighter so maybe that'd be part of his case.

this isn't a good comparison because "hat" is a way broader thing than "blue hair"As interesting as this would have been, I honestly don't think that Chrom would have been a good use of programmer/graphical resources; in the end he would likely have played like a cross between marth and ike (MAYBE you could throw spears on him as a nod to his alt weapons) because that's what's iconic about him. they're not going to bother making an entire moveset around some niche things that only people who know the games really well would understand, that's just poor planningwhat's more is that the only really feasible way to do this is to use a transforming mechanic ala pokemon trainer and zelda/sheik. beyond the first concern of this being even more of an investment (as they now have to code 3 or 4 different playables as opposed to 1), it's also probably a balancing nightmare. to say nothing of the fact that reclassing isn't really iconic to these characters outside of the FE view - It makes sense for pokemon trainer because that's pretty much the entire purpose of the game, it makes sense for zelda/sheik because it's a crucial part of her character in her most iconic role (OoT). It is not iconic to Chrom/Lucina (I *suppose* the case could be made for robin but they're not going to code magic + transforming for him), it's just another (minor, from a broader point of view) aspect of their gamebesides, they've apparently been trying to remove transforming characters anyway

You bring up very valid points and sorry if my comparison was lackluster

The main reason transforming characters don't exist is mostly due to apparent difficulty they had with implementing them into the 3DS version or so I heard anyways.

Edited by Jedi

Reclassing it's not a thing that's really aknowledged in-universe. Nobody gets a new portrait or changes apperance in cutscenes, Cherche always has her dragon around, Robin always blasts Chrom lightning in the chest, etc. So having Chrom reclass midbattle like some magical girl would seem about as weird as Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone. And it's bad enough that that poor guy hasn't seen any fundamental changes for two games now.

Edited by BrightBow

Reclassing it's not a thing that's really aknowledged in-universe. Nobody gets a new portrait or changes apperance in cutscenes, Cherche always has her dragon around, Robin always blasts Chrom lightning in the chest, etc. So having Chrom reclass midbattle like some magical girl would seem about as weird as Ganondorf being a Captain Falcon clone. And it's bad enough that that poor guy hasn't seen any fundamental changes for two games now.

He's almost nothing like Falcon now and his customs show this, quite a number of their moves work very very differently and have barely any similar frames. Sure theres some moves here and there but like Falco he's become his own beast.

He's almost nothing like Falcon now and his customs show this, quite a number of their moves work very very differently and have barely any similar frames. Sure theres some moves here and there but like Falco he's become his own beast.

Im aware of that. He has grown distinctive from the Captain but he never became more consistent with his portrayal in his own series. Hence why I specifically talked about "fundamental changes" because a few tweaks won't change that he is still Captain Falcon at heart. He needs to be rebuild from the very ground up.

Edited by BrightBow

Im aware of that. He has grown distinctive from Falcon but he never became more consistent with his portrayal in his own series. Hence why I talked about "fundamental changes" because a few tweaks won't change that he is still Captain Falcon at heart. He needs to be rebuild from the ground up.

I think that much of a change would be a bit drastic at this point, I mean despite Bowser and Pits revamps their core move sets are still there.

It would throw off all the players who enjoy how he plays now (not to mention he's Sakurais personal favorite to play as according to some)

I think that much of a change would be a bit drastic at this point, I mean despite Bowser and Pits revamps their core move sets are still there.

It would throw off all the players who enjoy how he plays now (not to mention he's Sakurais personal favorite to play as according to some)

I'm not saying that I expect a change for Ganondorf. It's still about Chrom. I was merely using Ganondorf for a comparision, while expressing that I don't think it's worth to include a character if they don't actually feel like the character that they are supposed to be.

Edited by BrightBow

Hey, I like the Thunder Stomp and Flame Choke. He's already been decloned to the point where he's not a semi-clone of Falcon anymore.

Besides, wasn't this thread supposed to be about how SSB4 sees Chrom as a joke?

Hey, I like the Thunder Stomp and Flame Choke. He's already been decloned to the point where he's not a semi-clone of Falcon anymore.

Besides, wasn't this thread supposed to be about how SSB4 sees Chrom as a joke?

True my bad on going on with that, its been kinda bouncing around from Chrom to Isaac to mechanics to well anything lol.

Going back to Chrom I can see where some are coming from with him being in there being enough, its just the treatment of his cameos outside the final smash are what bug me I guess.

That's something fans don't really think about anymore in regards to Smash. A lot of characters such as the famous Captain Falcon had all of their moves made from scratch, so it's not a stretch to think that Chrom or Lucina could have had their own unique moves.

Still...it was no excuse to cut Chrom from being playable when he could have been unique enough if they made him use lances.

they're not going to come up with a completely new moveset around something that, on the face of it, has nothing to do with what chrom is most well known for

they did what they could with captain falcon's moveset because it was nothing more than sakurai's boredom project anyway so the marketing didn't really matter and they could do whatever they wanted (and before you give me "they have the power to change it now", you cannot unironically tell me that removing falcon punch is in anyway a net good idea)

they're not going to come up with a completely new moveset around something that, on the face of it, has nothing to do with what chrom is most well known for

they did what they could with captain falcon's moveset because it was nothing more than sakurai's boredom project anyway so the marketing didn't really matter and they could do whatever they wanted (and before you give me "they have the power to change it now", you cannot unironically tell me that removing falcon punch is in anyway a net good idea)

I'd never suggest changing Captain Falcon's moveset. It's just that a lot of characters, including newcomers have moves that originate in this game (Shulk, Little Mac, Rosalina, Duck Hunt, etc), so it's not a stretch to think that Chrom could have been giving an unique moveset. (Some of it based on Awakening gameplay and FMV's and some of it brand new)