Should Nintendo Cartoons/Anime Return?

Alex95

How many of you remember (or at least, heard about) the good ol' days where Nintendo made several of their game franchises into cartoons or anime? Shows like The Super Mario Brothers Super Show and The Legend of Zelda cartoons were the big ones, but there was also Kirby: Right Back At Ya'! and even a Fire Emblem anime (albeit a short one). Pokemon is the only one running right now, that I'm aware of, and it isn't holding up too well compared to when it started (at least in my opinion). And who could forget the best one of them all: Captain N: The Game Master!

Who thinks Nintendo should get back into this media? Who thinks they should finish the Fire Emblem anime? What would a Smash Brothers cartoon/anime look like?

It can work but only if the companies making the shows do the source material justice -- stuff like the Mario Bros. and Legend of Zelda cartoons eventually ended up as Internet meme fodder that gets laughed at all over the Internet.

Kirby: Right Back At Ya! (or Kirby of the Stars as I would prefer since I prefer watching the original Japanese version) was nice but... localization (hence I prefer the Japanese version even if the English opening song is catchy). It doesn't really need a new one without a new plot as it did wrap itself up well with the final showdown against the Nightmare Wizard.

The Pokemon anime still exist and probably plays a major part in making Pokemon still stay relevant to people, especially children. Heck, the Pokemon Company even uses animated trailers to advertise their games like Black 2, White 2 and Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

captain-n_L17.jpg

Bring this back please. That is all

Actually no. I enjoyed the old Megaman cartoons (nostalgia fix for Protoman), but honestly today I don't think there'd be much to tell with many of the current nintendo games that's new and/or unique, with the exception of a Smash Bros following the Subspace Emmisary sort of plot line (or maybe like a Wacky Races variant of the new Smashboard or w/e it's called for WiiU). That might be entertaining, actually

Edited by Sara.

I really enjoyed the Kirby and F-Zero animes. Also have alot of nostalgia with the Mario cartoons. especially the one based on Mario 3

We should get some kind of series for all of their franchises and Elie has some really good suggestions.

Edited by Jedi

After reading this tell me I'm not the only one who would like to see a legit fire emblem anime. I mean the cutscenes in Awakening were gorgeous and they had pretty good voice acting and presentation. If IS and Nintendo could just get with those same voice actors (easier said then done) I bet it would be a pretty decent anime hell i'd watch it and I've never been much into any anime at all.

I really enjoyed the Kirby and F-Zero animes. Also have alot of nostalgia with the Mario cartoons. especially the one based on Mario 3

We should get some kind of series for all of their franchises and Elie has some really good suggestions.

Oh, I forgot all about the F-Zero anime. I've never seen it myself, so it slipped my mind easily.

Fire Emblem anime could work short term, or as an animated movie. Turning war games and rpgs into tv shoes is hard but they could do it.

A show based on the Pokemon manga could kick so much ass.

Hard to do Zelda without trampling on the whole voiceless hero thing. Maybe little 5-15 minute episodes of Toon Link jumping around doing stuff would be really cool.

Fire Emblem anime could work short term, or as an animated movie. Turning war games and rpgs into tv shoes is hard but they could do it.

A show based on the Pokemon manga could kick so much ass.

Hard to do Zelda without trampling on the whole voiceless hero thing. Maybe little 5-15 minute episodes of Toon Link jumping around doing stuff would be really cool.

This.

Though a continuation of the old FE3 OVA would be nice to see if they could do it well. As said, it really requires true effort to be good.

I remember something about Miyamoto wanting Star Fox to be a TV Show (or like a TV show, it was inspired by Thunder Birds apparently) which, yeah I can see the Star Fox gang doing some weekly space shenanigans and having adventures. There's also those Pikmin short films that were recently released, but I don't know.

A Fire Emblem anime would be really cool.

Metroid would make a great film, but perhaps a series where Samus goes around on different planets and encounters a bunch of different characters and stuff could be cool too.

Legend of Zelda, I dunno how it could possibly work.

Mario is already basically a cartoon so I can't see how another cartoon series for that could go wrong as long as they had some good writers and animators.

It's weird that they don't do that stuff anymore. Personally I would have guessed that this kind of shows would have been very effective during the time of the Wii's success. Especially given how successful Mario Kart and New Super Mario Bros Wii were. Maybe they think that because of the diminishing relevance of television, it just isn't worth it anymore.

I guess the marketing guys from Nintendo know what they are doing but personally I can't help but think that TV can still still help Nintendo to expend it's reach.

I really liked Kirby, but all though the Legend of Zelda show is really funny it stinks as a show to get people in to the games. Pokémon used to be good, but how long can Ash stay a kid? He needs to grow up and there should be a new lead on the show. I would love to see more anime based on FE and a Star Fox show would be really cool, but it looks like Nintendo is not that interested in making shows based on their games right now.

You know come to think of it having an anime or series of anime shorts that aired on TV could be a good way for some of their lesser known franchises to get noticed. Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus could benefit from this and alot of the work is already done in terms of voice acting, style, presentation.

You know come to think of it having an anime or series of anime shorts that aired on TV could be a good way for some of their lesser known franchises to get noticed. Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus could benefit from this and alot of the work is already done in terms of voice acting, style, presentation.

Question is which FE lends itself best for an anime?

I'd say Jugdral or Tellius

Nintendo has a big chance at making video games into a television series. As long as they do it correctly (i.e. nothing like the Super Mario Brothers Movie and avoiding the "Excuuuuuuse me, princess!" line), Nintendo can go far with whatever they want. If they really want to avoid making a game into a show, they could create an all new story just for television.

Have Link save the kingdom of Gethral (made-up name to make a point) by gathering four sacred... i don't know, shoes or something?