What In OR/AS Disappointed you?

Paper Dragon

Yeah, I know Wallace was the champion in Emerald. I hoped for Juan to be the eighth gym leader and Steven to be the champion. And for Wallace not to exist. He was alright in the anime, but beyond that, I never cared for him. Sorry for not clarifying.

There's an area on Route 123 that lets you plant tons of berries.

That sounds like it's near the end of the main story though. XY's berry field was close to the beginning. I liked that more.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Wallace is actually a (small) part of the plot... and he's cool :<

And that's just around Mt. Pyre. It's not nearly as early as in XY, but it's not even close to the end.

Well, then Wallace can just have his little part in the plot. Just say he's doing contests these days or something and retired his role of gym leader to his teacher, Juan. But I liked Juan way more, mainly because of the anime. One of the few awesome things about the Hoenn saga. Juan is just fabulous. ^^ And he's doing the EYEBROW in his official art!

Honestly I don't get the complaints about trainer levels being too low even without the exp share? If you're going with a team of 1-3, sure, but that's always been the case. Playing with a team of five w/o EXP share I'm in Victory road and the trainers are all 3-6 levels above me and I've been matched or outleveled since Fortree... The level gap would probably be less if I fought the trainers on all the non-mandatory water routes and stuff but then those same people also complain about the game being super short, so idk? Are my pokemon (Sceptile, Gallade, Lairon, Sharpedo, Latias) just in high EXP brackets?

It's especially weird because I'm pretty sure the levels are higher than the original (Lilycove!May has a fully evolved starter for one).

ORAS is to XY like Majora's Mask is to Ocarina of time(they just piggybacked off of an existing model for a quick release to work on something bigger); so I'm assuming that there's going to be some sort of sequal and I'm witholding complaints until then.

Originally my complaint had to do with the E4 but turns out it was actually addressed to my satisfaction...

At this point in my life and "career" with the series, what I'm about to say isn't necessarily faults of Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire themselves and moreso faults of Game Freak in general.

1) Echoing lack of trainer customization.

Personally, I find Game Freak's reasoning for its removal to be utter bullshit, especially with the outfits that were available in X and Y. If clothing and such were meant to represent beauty and the French fashion industry, then they did an overall poor job at actually including clothing (outside of the Lumiose Boutique and maybe Lavarre City's shop) that was actually in line with what you immediately visualize as French fashion. (And then there's the disparity between female and male clothing options, but that's a completely separate topic...)

And, sure, even if you throw GF's reasoning out as bupkis and try to go with the "there were no customizations in the original / they're sticking with the spirit of the originals since this is a remake" reasoning, I don't really think that's a great argument for removing it. The characters start out in their default outfits, and you're not forced to actually change them at all. And, in a game with contests (where you already get a costume change anyway!), why not enable the player to add their own style to their character and change hairstyles and outfits?

Plus, if we consider this from an entirely different angle, removing customization is such a step backwards in a video game industry that has consumers clamoring for developers to be (more) progressive in their offerings, allowing players of all preferences to be represented or accepted in and/or with the product. "But Josh, if you let Brendan or May have dark skin or different hair colors, they won't look like their parents! Won't that cause a problem with the story?" No, it doesn't necessarily cause a problem (unless there's a specific text sequence that would contradict the following) - come up with the headcanon that you're adopted, you just loved to tan, and/or dyed your hair.

And, does anyone remember the kerfuffle from when Nintendo patched Tomodachi Life to remove the bug with marriage which caused a huge uproar on the internet? And how they claimed that if they made a sequel to it that they'd be more inclusive? (http://kotaku.com/nintendo-apologizes-for-not-putting-gay-marriage-in-tom-1574185262) If the consumers are supposed to hold Nintendo accountable for that pledge on that game, shouldn't we hold them accountable for failing to do it in their other games? (Even if the average age demographic for Pokémon is very young, that's still not a good reason, in my opinion.)

2) Game Difficulty.

Look, I get that Pokémon is an all-ages series and needs to be able to be played by kids, and I obviously can't recreate how it was when I played my first game in the series, as I've had years of understanding mechanics and the type chart and battle theory, but at some point you have to realize that things don't just seem like they're getting easier, they just are. I mean, were there even any instances in X/Y where you can have two separate trainers make eye contact and create a Double (Multi) Battle out of two Single Battles? I don't recall finding any, and that is at least enough of a change up to throw a minor amount of difficulty at you.

Regardless, you have stuff like Elite Four members only having 4 Pokémon each in Gen V and X/Y, low enemy trainer Pokémon levels (at times), poor AI (at times), etc. all over the place. Even keeping the EXP Share turned off and turning the Battle Style to Set isn't really a fix to the problem. Players shouldn't be forced to impose self-restrictions or challenges like Nuzlocke just to get a semblance of difficulty - Nuzlockes should be for fun or because you want to undertake that specific challenge, not just to be the only reliable way to make the game harder.

And, that last set of points is really irritating because Game Freak already attempted (once) a way to fix this in Black 2/White 2 with Challenge Mode and Easy Mode! Of course, the big flaw with those were that they weren't available as soon as you turned on your game and if you had White 2 and wanted to play Challenge Mode, someone who had unlocked it in Black 2 had to send it to you in the first place! (And vice versa for Easy Mode.) It's 2014, people. Easy/Normal/Challenge should be standard options when starting your game at this point. (And Challenge should actually be a challenge - make trainers less sweepable by a single Pokémon, have them use tactics that actual human players would employ, make sure that they have threatening teams from time to time, etc.)

3) Lack of Battle Frontier (though we at least got Move Tutors back).

I'm going to make this one short and sweet since it's been driven into the ground and back, but given all of the new content/features that Game Freak created just for Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, you're telling me that the best they could do was throw in some teases and just copy/paste something from X/Y? (Yes, yes, I know that they basically just did the same thing in Heart Gold/Soul Silver with Platinum's Frontier, but at least that was more than one building...)

- Garbage story, barely any script and laughably shallow

- Lati forced down your throat in like 5 minutes out of nowhere

- No customization

- Ease

- Lack of a lot of mega evolutions (like Milotic and Flygon)

My main caveats with ORAS are:

-No Battle Frontier

-The fact that many of the non-Hoenn legendary Pokemon are found by interacting with portals. That there just screams laziness to me and the portals themselves are rather cheesy. The fact that it also shows at the start of the battle (even with Pokemon whose locations do make sense like Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Thundurus, Tornadus and Landorus) just only adds to my point.

I wasn't disappointed by the lack of character customization since I have never bought any customizations in X and Y. Also, customizations didn't exist in the original Ruby and Sapphire.

I honestly laughed when I looked up on how pathetic Prof. Birch is in the post-story.

@ Bolded - At least Episode Delta gives an actual story to encountering some Legendaries, but outside of that, I wholeheartedly agree. I've grown tired of just being given Pokémon like they're candy. I mean, just look at Arceus, for example. There was an actual in-game event (which, admittedly, wasn't super story heavy), completely coded into the game, just needing an item distribution to unlock it. And what does Nintendo/Game Freak do? Not distribute the item and instead distribute the actual Pokémon on its own instead.

Does Game Freak simply not remember stuff like having to traverse the Unknown Dungeon/Cerulean Cave to find Mewtwo (under the guise of "you're the Champion, go investigate" or the stuff revolving around Ho-Oh and Suicune/Raikou/Entei in Crystal? (Which was a pain, yes.) Basically, give me some meat and something to do in the game to at least give some weight as to why these Pokémon are Legendary instead of just saying, "hey, here you go!" *coughDianciecough*

I wonder why folks are still complaining about Pokemon being easy. Anywho~

Megas introduced in ORAS aren't compatible with XY, by that I mean I can't have Mega Diancie or Mega Salamence in my Y.

Wallace exists

Lastly, as someone with a Computer Science degree, Game Freak's refusal to patch the previous games and instead create a segregation of their servers is absolutely baffling to me. I get that adding all of the data for the Megas and new movesets and whatever else might be a large chunk of data and you'd be forcing all players wanting to go online in X/Y to download that update beforehand, but I think that's not exactly unreasonable for players.

Plus, if they continue at this rate, does that mean that every single player will need to upgrade to each new version every year (if they keep at this pace) just to stay relevant? For families where kids are the only players, do they not realize that perhaps the parents can't afford to keep up this pace just to not be locked into what's in their game? (I mean, I'm not asking to get the ability to use Mega Salamence in X/Y without trading it over for free, but at least being able to play with/against someone that has it shouldn't be overlooked.)

GameFreak won't patch older games for one reason: more money. >.>

Also, one thing I just hate overall about the Pokemon series, and actually causes it to be below other Nintendo franchises on my list, is that GameFreak keeps introducing awesome features and then FUCKING REMOVING THEM.

I get that not all of them can be in one game, as that's a buttload of content, but certainly more than what we have could've been kept.

2) Game Difficulty.

Look, I get that Pokémon is an all-ages series and needs to be able to be played by kids, and I obviously can't recreate how it was when I played my first game in the series, as I've had years of understanding mechanics and the type chart and battle theory, but at some point you have to realize that things don't just seem like they're getting easier, they just are. I mean, were there even any instances in X/Y where you can have two separate trainers make eye contact and create a Double (Multi) Battle out of two Single Battles? I don't recall finding any, and that is at least enough of a change up to throw a minor amount of difficulty at you.

Regardless, you have stuff like Elite Four members only having 4 Pokémon each in Gen V and X/Y, low enemy trainer Pokémon levels (at times), poor AI (at times), etc. all over the place. Even keeping the EXP Share turned off and turning the Battle Style to Set isn't really a fix to the problem. Players shouldn't be forced to impose self-restrictions or challenges like Nuzlocke just to get a semblance of difficulty - Nuzlockes should be for fun or because you want to undertake that specific challenge, not just to be the only reliable way to make the game harder.

And, that last set of points is really irritating because Game Freak already attempted (once) a way to fix this in Black 2/White 2 with Challenge Mode and Easy Mode! Of course, the big flaw with those were that they weren't available as soon as you turned on your game and if you had White 2 and wanted to play Challenge Mode, someone who had unlocked it in Black 2 had to send it to you in the first place! (And vice versa for Easy Mode.) It's 2014, people. Easy/Normal/Challenge should be standard options when starting your game at this point. (And Challenge should actually be a challenge - make trainers less sweepable by a single Pokémon, have them use tactics that actual human players would employ, make sure that they have threatening teams from time to time, etc.)

Yeah, I would absolutely love a hard mode that's unlocked from the get go. While I probably would still restrict the use of the EXP share for myself even if the opponent's levels increased at a reasonably difficult pace, I still shouldn't have to keep it off to not vastly out level my opponents. I also don't even need to comment on how pathetic Team Magma/Aqua and their admins/leaders are, even with their Mega Evolutions. (Admins only having 1 pokemon is absolutely stupid, and Maxie/Archie still have awful teams)

GameFreak won't patch older games for one reason: more money. >.>

Also, one thing I just hate overall about the Pokemon series, and actually causes it to be below other Nintendo franchises on my list, is that GameFreak keeps introducing awesome features and then FUCKING REMOVING THEM.

I get that not all of them can be in one game, as that's a buttload of content, but certainly more than what we have could've been kept.

Not patching is just laziness on their part, as they were willing to patch X/Y before hand to fix bugs, which is quite frustrating.

Now, removing stuff like customization, especially since from what I've read it's ONLY going to be a Kalos thing pisses me off. I don't have Brown hair or Brown eyes Game Freak. I'd like to be able to make my trainer look like myself, and X/Y let me do that (I also hate wearing hats, so I'd like to be able to remove my trainer's hat as well), even if IMO it's one of the weakest entries in the series.

Not knowing what cool features Game Freak is going to keep in each new game is always kind of a put-off for me, even though Pokemon is one of my favorite game franchises out there.

Edited by Monado Boy

I loved XY almost as much as I loved gen 4, but I'm tired of GameFreak removing so many features that I liked. Sinnoh's Underground, B2W2's medals and Join Avenue, VS Seeker (although it's not needed in ORAS because you can re-battle trainers anyway), XY's berry field, Sinnoh's Pokemon contests (I never bothered to try the ones in gen 3), and now trainer customization.

Although there were also features removed that I wasn't crazy about anyway, such as HGSS's Pokeathlon and walking Pokemon and B2W2's Pokestar Studios, but those are fewer than features that I really liked.

Oh, I just remembered another thing related to berries that I miss since it was in XY, but isn't in ORAS. Those berry trees and stuff that appear in the background every now and then when you have wild Pokemon battles. It made collecting lots of berries and items a lot more fun and easy! You could even get some evolution stones this way.

XY just made collecting so many berries so easy that it was paradise for berry fans like me!

Edited by Anacybele

- Garbage story, barely any script and laughably shallow

- Lati forced down your throat in like 5 minutes out of nowhere

- Ease

Well,R/S was like that.They can't take that away,could they?

Well,as mentioned before,the lack of customization and no battle frontier.But you know what no battle frontier means?

Emerald remake.

Another caveat I have with Pokemon ORAS: it's rather glitchy. I'm having a hard time getting several post-story legendary Pokemon to appear even though I have met the requirements for going to the mirage spot and it's already been days since I last encountered some legendary Pokemon that is part of a trio.

Non-Hoenn trio legendary Pokemon obtained:

Mesprit (can't get Uxie or Azelf to appear) [requires Pokemon with max Friendship to appear]

Suicune and Raikou (can't get Entei to appear) [requires Ho-oh or Lugia to appear]

The only legendary trio I have a complete set of are the Sacred Swordsmen (Virizion, Terrakion and Cobalion). [requires Pokemon with 510 total EVs]

It's not a bug, serebii's info was just incomplete (it's been fixed since)

The lake spirits only appear at certain times of day (I know for Uxie, for example, you need to go between 8 and 9 PM)

Suicune and Raikou depends on the minutes of the hour; Suicune appears between :40 and :00 and Raikou appears between :00 and :20

source

It's not a bug, serebii's info was just incomplete (it's been fixed since)

The lake spirits only appear at certain times of day (I know for Uxie, for example, you need to go between 8 and 9 PM)

Suicune and Raikou depends on the minutes of the hour; Suicune appears between :40 and :00 and Raikou appears between :00 and :20

source

Ah, just saw.

no bestiality

I disliked how "too" easy it was considering a single Mawile with the right moveset and mega evolved can sweep the entire elite four at the same level with no issue.

I wish they could port those difficulty things from black/white. (the hard difficult key item, not the one that make it easy lol)

Although I'm disappointed Frontier isn't in. But.

I definitely thinks Battle Frontier will be in the game eventually. There's an island that wasn't used that they could port the whole awesomeness challenges buildings to.

Since if they replace the maison with frontier, it means losing some events from the Maison that you might otherwise got. (Bikes, Pokemon gift, mega exp slave pig)

Also disappointed that you have to re-do Catching ray, battling Zinnia, then watch the whole scenes all over again to catch Deoxys that died the previous attempt. (I gave up at fifth try, critical RNG getting on my nerves.) AT LEAST LET US SAVE BEFORE ZINNIA BATTLE SO WE DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH RAY CATCHING BULLSHIT. (This was before that I knew you could have a good catch rating even at full health vs him oppsity-daisy)

Also disappointed that you have to re-do Catching ray, battling Zinnia, then watch the whole scenes all over again to catch Deoxys that died the previous attempt. (I gave up at fifth try, critical RNG getting on my nerves.) AT LEAST LET US SAVE BEFORE ZINNIA BATTLE SO WE DON'T HAVE TO GO THROUGH RAY CATCHING BULLSHIT. (This was before that I knew you could have a good catch rating even at full health vs him oppsity-daisy)

Regarding Deoxys, if you defeat it or flee from it during the Delta episode, you do have a second chance -- you can rematch Deoxys at the top of Sky Pillar once you defeat the Elite Four once more after finishing the Delta episode.

Regarding Deoxys, if you defeat it or flee from it during the Delta episode, you do have a second chance -- you can rematch Deoxys at the top of Sky Pillar once you defeat the Elite Four once more after finishing the Delta episode.

Oh?

I should go check that now. (I already defeated elite four twice after delta, Mawile too stronk)