RIP Cartridge

chococoke

Well, after almost 11 full years of life, my FE7 cartridge finally wiped itself blank. This will unfortunately mark the end of my days playing this game, mostly because Lyn mode can lick my grundle.

I know Red Fox has mentioned she still has a working cartridge. Does anyone else out there still have one, or do people mainly use emulators now?

Well, after almost 11 full years of life, my FE7 cartridge finally wiped itself blank. This will unfortunately mark the end of my days playing this game, mostly because Lyn mode can lick my grundle.

I know Red Fox has mentioned she still has a working cartridge. Does anyone else out there still have one, or do people mainly use emulators now?

Why not just replace the battery in the cart? Or did the GBA stop that way of saving stuff?

My GBA FE games still save fine, as do all of my GBA cartridges... to my knowledge anyway, some I haven't played in a long time. GBC games are another story though, sadly. But yeah, that sucks to have that happen to a game, especially one like FE. Does it happen to more "save-intensive" games first maybe, with things like the suspend feature?

I have Fe 7,8,9,10 and 11 in physical form. The only one that I have digital is FE 13 because I bought the FE 3DS bundle and they all work perfectly. I have slow internet and a shared computer so emulated games are not an option for me at this time.

I still have working copies of FE7/8 but I never use them since emulating is much more convienent.

Actually now that I think about it I don't actually have a way to play any of my GBA games since I lost my DS charger...

I still have working copies of FE7/8 but I never use them since emulating is much more convienent.

Yeah, same here (well, just FE7; I traded my copy of FE8 in like forever ago).

Edited by Refa

That's so sad. ):

I, on the other hand, have only bought my FE7 cartridge, used, and it seems to be working rather impeccably. I've played FE on emulator for years, have started on FE8 myself. And buying the actual games felt like my way of 'repaying' them for being worthwhile.

My cartridges for FE7 and FE8 and still working just fine, thankfully. Though I do emulate when I play those games now because of my poor eyesight.

What's the difference, I wonder? How much use do you have to get out of a cart before it craps out?

I don't suppose that all of the carts that crapped out were bootlegs, were they? I've heard that bootlegs have worse batteries than official carts.

Edited by Paper Jam

Yeah they do

Why do you think they call it "battery save"?

Some GBA games, like pokemon, use flash memory exclusively (they have batteries, but only use them for the internal clock). The only gba game that i had die on me was a copy of pokemon emerald that I latter discovered was a fake. The battery of my ruby copy is dead, but it still holds a save (you can't grow berries or do other time dependent things though). I have a copy of pokemon silver that someone gave me because the batteries died, and it can't hold a save.

All ds and 3ds game carts use flash memory, and wiis and 3dss use standard sd cards, which are also flash memory (gamecube memory cards are essentualy sd cards in a proprietary case so that you have to buy it from nintendo.), so save failure is a lot less likely in any system newer than the gameboy advance.

Edited by sirmola