If you could change one thing...

Sentacotus

I don't know if the problem is really length. I think it's more that the game doesn't know how to properly use the time that it does have.

They're both problems, honestly.

25 chapters is more than enough to have a story that's self aware, which is one of the major things Awakening was lacking. It would take more than a little polish to fix, but no extra game time.

On the other hand, Awakening with its multiple continents and DLC story extensions tries to have some sort of larger sense of scope than other FEs, and 25 chapters doesn't cut it there. True, they could have done more with what they had (like given places names), but building a world that large needs more time to be done fully.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest though for a story that is centered around a player created unit (self-insert) Awakening could of been alot worse. I'm not saying this excuses it. The story could be much better but rarely do you see a good story from a self-insert character much the less one that necessarily works. I can think of one series that did it well and thats Mass Effect and even then you just change the appearence of Shepard. And hey lets face it part of why Awakening probably sold well was the fact that your self-insert character can have a name, gets customized, can fight, and is tailored exactly how you want it. I think Awakening laid a good foundation for this part of the game and I'm looking forward to it being improved upon in the future. Who knows maybe making the story better is simply a matter of giving the avatar a set name and appearence while you can customize everything else. Or maybe based on how you customize your avatar's asset and flaw effects their dialogue with the other characters instead of insert title here.

The game is pretty short, even shorter then FE8 despite having more chapters

I can beat the game in 5 hours with quite a bit of DLC grinding

I would suggest making the game a bit harder, but not ASDFGHJKLL; AAARGHH like the Miciah chapters in FE10

Who knows maybe making the story better is simply a matter of giving the avatar a set name and appearence while you can customize everything else.

That changes none of the problems regarding the story's Avatar/Chrom centered morality.

The game is pretty short, even shorter then FE8 despite having more chapters

27 main chapters, 23 Paralogues, 25 DLC maps. That's quite a bit more than any other FE out there, even RD. The reason you can play through it so fast (sub 1hr is a good time for Normal) is because the game has a very smooth menu system and literally everything except player input can be skipped with Start.

The run of Shadow Dragon on SDA is something like 11 minutes long.

Well maybe in that case you make the choices in the game actually matter and impact the story having average, good, and bad endings differing based off of the conditions met.

Yeah, like the system in Binding Blade

More supports and a longer story. Maybe increase the support rankings from C-A to F-A. Also change up the little things such as quotes based on support levels. Much as I love Cordelia it'd be nice to have her stop talking about chrom after I marry her though I do believe she's over him.

Just small gripes though, in truth I love this game

I think what the Avatar needs to work is less screen time and less in your face importance. Imagine if Soren in Path of Radiance was the Avatar (but with a more neutral personality). He's their tactician and a close friend of the main Lord so naturally he gets to appear in all the battle prep dialogue, some other important events that have everyone and a few character building scenes with the Lord. Even the whole reveal that Soren is Ashnard's son would work for an Avatar if it's handled the same way (ie not actually being that important or plot dominating).

I think what the Avatar needs to work is less screen time and less in your face importance. Imagine if Soren in Path of Radiance was the Avatar (but with a more neutral personality). He's their tactician and a close friend of the main Lord so naturally he gets to appear in all the battle prep dialogue, some other important events that have everyone and a few character building scenes with the Lord. Even the whole reveal that Soren is Ashnard's son would work for an Avatar if it's handled the same way (ie not actually being that important or plot dominating).

The avatar isn't quite as much as the FE12 MU.

Seriously, he/she is like in every single cutscene

In one of the GBA games wasn't there an avatar/tactician who was an actual tactician and not a playable unit? I haven't seen anyone complain about that so it probably worked out pretty well.

Yeah that was FE7 he literally did nothing at all and it didn't really add anything to the story and was a feature that was pretty unpopular so it never returned.

In one of the GBA games wasn't there an avatar/tactician who was an actual tactician and not a playable unit? I haven't seen anyone complain about that so it probably worked out pretty well.

Yes

I'd be ambivalent about it if FFN wasn't a thing. Tbh it was the best of the three.

The problem with custom protagonists in Fire Emblem games isn't necessarily that they don't work with the series, it's that IS has thus far failed to realize that they simply aren't really compatible with the typical style and progression of the story of a Fire Emblem game. Robin, while customizable on aesthetic and gameplay levels, was essentially a fixed character for the purposes of the storyline. In order to really pull off a custom character in Fire Emblem well, they'd have to make them the "Marth" of their game, and place a much bigger emphasis on player choice and branching plot routes when writing the story. If this character is supposed to be basically the player's influence on the world, really play that up in every aspect of the game, not just the gameplay and visuals.

Anyway, to be honest, I probably could try to pick just one thing to change about Awakening, but just fixing one thing on its own wouldn't really be enough to fix the game. The plot and gameplay balance both need complete overhauls, and frankly whoever did the outfit design (I recall Kozaki saying in an interview that it wasn't him?) shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of that again in the future. No more UFO pauldrons or boobplate armor or battle panties (or weird scale bikinis on small children ew) anymore, please.

Edited by Starlight36

Alternatively, an idea several people (myself included) have tossed around on this forum is to have the customizable character make very little impact on the story, which would allow for better storylines (since the writers don't have to shoehorn in a self-insert character), as well as the freedom to make the custom character even more customizable (since they won't have to carry the story as well).

Alternatively, an idea several people (myself included) have tossed around on this forum is to have the customizable character make very little impact on the story, which would allow for better storylines (since the writers don't have to shoehorn in a self-insert character), as well as the freedom to make the custom character even more customizable (since they won't have to carry the story as well).

That could certainly work. The idea with my suggestion is that it's not "shoehorning" if the entire story is built around it from the start, but this is a way they could do it without having to drastically alter the style of their stories.

The problem with custom protagonists in Fire Emblem games isn't necessarily that they don't work with the series, it's that IS has thus far failed to realize that they simply aren't really compatible with the typical style and progression of the story of a Fire Emblem game. Robin, while customizable on aesthetic and gameplay levels, was essentially a fixed character for the purposes of the storyline. In order to really pull off a custom character in Fire Emblem well, they'd have to make them the "Marth" of their game, and place a much bigger emphasis on player choice and branching plot routes when writing the story. If this character is supposed to be basically the player's influence on the world, really play that up in every aspect of the game, not just the gameplay and visuals.

Anyway, to be honest, I probably could try to pick just one thing to change about Awakening, but just fixing one thing on its own wouldn't really be enough to fix the game. The plot and gameplay balance both need complete overhauls, and frankly whoever did the outfit design (I recall Kozaki saying in an interview that it wasn't him?) shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of that again in the future. No more UFO pauldrons or boobplate armor or battle panties (or weird scale bikinis on small children ew) anymore, please.

IS kinda missed that opportunity with this game imagine if your choices to save or let Emmeryn die actually changed the follow on chapters/options or accepting/denying Lucina's judgment.

One thing I would change is to have a unique battle theme like (to my knowledge) every other FE game. The DLC maps are almost a reminder of the superior music of the previous games.

And now I cheat.

More indoor maps with walls. Seriously, most of the maps are wide open field. I'm so sorry Snipers.

A revised Chapter 4. It makes little sense, as Lucina as Marth has the ability to kill Chrom and the Shepherds, which goes against everything she sent out to do.

Finally, playable Soldier class.

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

more recruitable enemies

How many more recruitable enemies do you want? We already have Tharja, Severa, Cynthia, Yarne*, Aversa, Walhart, Gangrel and Yen'fay as it is.

* - If you choose not to aid the Stonewall Knights, otherwise he's an NPC.

More supports and a longer story.

I second this. However, I would say remove the S Support and just have them get a special paired ending when you get to the epilogue. I don't think that's going to make sense gameplay wise though.