MOBA games and The general un-friendliness.

MacLovin

I've been trying to get into one of the popular MOBA's that my friends irl play, but I keep running into the same problem.

[LoL. Dota, Smite, etc.]

I go through the tutorial stuff, and try a few matches. The match, in where I pick a character that I turn out to be pretty much incompatible with at first. [LoL Kayle, Smite's Ymir] ends with players calling for reporting me for being terrible at the game [i want to try to learn how to play tanky characters, but it's tricky for me]

Is this a recurring thing, and what's the general way one to deal with these jackasses.?

This sadly is "normal" in the genre. I introduced some friends to DotA (who are now better then I am, because they play way more often then me xD) by playing with them against the AI (back in Warcraft 3 actually), playing a bit against each other in smaller teams and teaching them the basics. And later on when you face real people instead of the AI since you know the basics you are good after a few games.

I really think the only way to learn such a game and have fun without being called bad all of the time (because, let's face it, you still have to learn the mechanics somehow so you are indeed bad at the beginning) is to have a friend teach it to you. Or if not a friend at least a willing person to do so.

They can't report you for being bad at it. Well, they can, but no mod in their right mind will actually infract you. Those really are jackasses.

I guess just remember that everyone has to start somewhere. Those people probably sucked when they first started too.

First: you can always play with AI. And you should do that first. Nobody pick a new champ and test that champ against human players (except me, cause I am good enough to play with any champs, it's just that I am not "really" good at any)

Second: you are asking for the impossible. Moba games are competitive games. In the case you dont know, it's serious business. Competitive games bring extremely exciting movements when you perform a miracle or wipe the floor with your opponents. But they also give the players a lot of pressure. The competitive atmosphere is so high that a small mistake shall lead to losing the match. Not to mention, a team is made of 5 totally strangers, there's no tolerate between strangers even in real life. You may bump into your friend and you just laugh it off. But try bumping a stranger and not apology, you will see a big different.

Third: the way to deal with it is to be a better player. Then, when they call shit on you, insult you...you can...forget it. Nothing will ever change. Just be a better player for the sake of yourself. Hater gonna hate. Nothing can change that.

I've been trying to get into one of the popular MOBA's that my friends irl play, but I keep running into the same problem.

[LoL. Dota, Smite, etc.]

I go through the tutorial stuff, and try a few matches. The match, in where I pick a character that I turn out to be pretty much incompatible with at first. [LoL Kayle, Smite's Ymir] ends with players calling for reporting me for being terrible at the game [i want to try to learn how to play tanky characters, but it's tricky for me]

Is this a recurring thing, and what's the general way one to deal with these jackasses.?

I mean, that right there should be your solution: Play with your friends. The sad truth is that if you solo queue in moba games you are, more likely than not, going to find people who don't know what the reporting system is intended for and don't understand that everyone has to start somewhere.

I play Dota 2 and the only time I solo queue is in All-Random and it's probably the one mode that's good to solo queue in because when you're going into it, you need to understand that everyone's heroes will be random. You and your team gotta play the best you can with the cards you dealt and most people who queue up in AR understand this, usually resulting in one person bitching about the game's progression because of the "picks" as a moot point.

Most other modes besides that just have tryhards who wanna win and get upset so easily and just use the report function for the wrong reasons.

Play mobas with your friends, avoid solo queue, have fun.

Edited by Sirius

I play League.

These days I don't play a whole lot, but will probably play more once the new ranked season starts, or when the LCS Spring split begins. At the moment, I'm playing two games a day, just to get the first win of the day IP bonus. One on my main account, and another on my smurf (second) account.

I play against AI opponents just to have a guaranteed victory. I haven't encountered toxic or rude players in AI games for a very long time. We just walk to a lane, win the game, and get out. Some people might speak, but it's usually friendly chatter or advice to people who aren't doing so well.

So basically, my advice is that you should play against the AI, find your favourite champions while doing so, keep playing them, beat the hardest difficulty AI consistently and decisively. Then you can go into a game against real humans. Even so, you will undoubtedly get that one asshole who will degrade you just because you're losing the lane. That is where the "/mute *username*" function comes into play. If shit is starting to happen between other people within the game, you can simply "/mute team", "/mute enemy" and even "/mute all".

On top of that, you don't have to stick to the 5v5 map. You can try the smaller 3v3, and even the Dominion game mode. ARAM (all random all mid) is also a fun game mode that is not meant to be taken seriously and should guarantee you some fun due to the nature of it.

Besides, playing with friends is how you enjoy League to the fullest. This is probably true for nearly every other MOBA out there..

Edit: The biggest problem with vs AI is people complain about "kill stealing" a lot. That can't really be helped; simply mute the player if they are giving you serious grief over it. If you're genuinely the better player, you could help them get the last hit, or help them secure that pentakill which you could just as easily have achieved.

Edited by Raven

Cool topic - totally. But I think it would be better served in that subforum that's dedicated to games like this.

(on-topic. . .welcome to Other People. Some are cool, some are not, and Raven's post has the best practical advice for League of Legends.)

honestly i would just say "fuck it" and go

I play league of legends (less so recently but that has more to do with my interests shifting elsewhere than anything about the game itself), as context

i get flamed pretty often for (deliberately) choosing to play champions which are either out of the meta or absolutely not my style (or, in multiple cases, both). these days i don't play much other than with friends anyway so it's not an issue but the few times i do take it into pubs I'll still pretty often whip out someone random (think "oh i really like playing tanky top laners so let's go for a first time midlane quinn" random), get flamed for it and just move on. if they really do report you (i've found that more often then not the threats are duds) then you can either dealwithit (which is what i do) or practice with friends/AI. I don't really like playing with AI because it doesn't help with much other than mechanics (which are admittedly extremely important and I encourage you to use them for that purpose) but beyond a certain point mechanical skill basically translates between champions (this is almost entirely from league experience; i'm aware that dota has some extremely different heroes- hello invoker -that require drastically different mechanical skill, but those are outliers from what i've experienced) and the only way to really learn is to just go out and try. as long as you keep it out of ranked, people really don't have a good reason to complain (i'd argue that even in ranked there's no good reason to complain but that's another story for another time) and not much will really change

if you happen to dislike losing, that's another story entirely...

Edited by CT075

thanks for the input.

-I kinda pick those co op vs bots type games often.

-I'll be doing the vs ai practice things more now.

- I've gotten suspended from LoL because of assholes reporting me. This is why I don't really play it any more.

-I have trouble co-ordinating with friends due to the fact that quite a few of them use cyber cafes to play, and do it during the timeslot that I study/do papers and shit.