VincentASM

I've only played a few of FE series and I can't say that I have seen any character as profession weapon swinger... But is that not a signature move of mercaneries or Hero class?

Yeah but it looked awesome then, Kamui looks like a wild animal here.

Check the Charts. Most of the companies that reviewed Awakening reviewed Fire Emblem 7.

Companies aren't people. Companies don't review games, individuals do. Edited by Red Fox of Fire

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Companies aren't people. Companies don't review games, individuals do.

Fair point to make. However, the counter argument to that is that past players are blinded by nostalgia and bias. But that is why consistency is a deciding factor. Statistics say that if something is consistent it is more trustworthy.

But considering your point about companies, than we can't trust the ratings for Fire Emblem 7 either which was the first localized game and we all know that Fire Emblem 7 was a masterpiece.

You have a point, but it's not a very strong one. It doesn't take long to understand Fire Emblem's system and Fire Emblem Awakening has consistent reviews across the board coupled with Sales. If there's smoke there's fire

I'd like to point out that these two statements contradict each other. It makes no sense to say that you like original characters and immediately follow up by saying you want a rehash of several pre-existing characters, some of which weren't very original to begin with. I can't say much for Kris, but I would say that Robin has more originality going for him or her than characters like Leif or Seliph.

By "original characters" I meant a non self insert protagonist. By "another Leif" I mean I want another character who develops in their story like Leif/Ike does. I don't literally want another Leif/Ike.

The term "original" seems to have caused a bit of confusion. Anyway, Kris was basically "I must protect milord!" He never really changed throughout FE12. Just a lot of Marth reminding Kris about how awesome he is. His supports were pretty bad too.

As far as being strictly original is concerned, Robin probably wins from a design standpoint since the tactician outfit if fucking boss in Awakening. But amnesia is like, the laziest plot device in history.

I'll have to ask on what you mean by Robin being more "original" than Seliph.

I prefer there to be an avatar, someone that makes me feel as a part of the story and the army of the game, someone that can open up the every character of the game. The only problem with Kris and Robin I was not satisfy with was the Lords take all the credit in the end...

This will be my second to post on the matter, depending on whether or not Starman replies to me.

Okay. I'll take Robin for this statement. I will. Fine. Whatever.

But Kris. You fucking serious? You're not satisfied with Marth taking credit that was his in the first place? FE12 is a remake of Marth's game in the first place! My head is so full of hurt after this statement.

And Shadow Knight, your argument is "Awakening sold well therefore its flaws are non existent." How long are you going to cling to it?

And Shadow Knight, your argument is "Awakening sold well therefore its flaws are non existent." How long are you going to cling to it?

I just love how people twist my words around like crazy.

My point is that I believe that Fire Emblem Awakening is the best Fire Emblem game bc it has the Highest REVIEWS and SALES. Not just SALES. Not just REVIEWS.

And the reason why I point that out is certain people flanderize and exaggerate its flaws whenever they see someone post anything good about Awakening they jump all over them.

If Robin is so poor of a character, the worldbuilding so horrible, and the story so boring why does it have the highest consistent reviews and the highest sales?

Keep your excuses and I'll keep my facts.

But Kris. You fucking serious? You're not satisfied with Marth taking credit that was his in the first place? FE12 is a remake of Marth's game in the first place! My head is so full of hurt after this statement.

Oh don't mind me, FE series is not what I consider a Bible which I have to memorize every details and its originality.

FE worth my time and money, and it is a game, an entertainment factor, stress release. If your head hurts, I believe you are buying the wrong game or the wrong head.

Edited by Ganhur

Last post on my end to prevent further derailing.

Shadow Knight, the game sold because it was properly marketed, in the right time and place. Combine that with the pandering and accessibility and you can figure the rest out on your own. Most of the people who played Awakening did so with Awakening as their entry into the series, myself included (*gasp* plot twist!). I didn't think the lore was bad at first either. Then I actually explored the series and saw that Awakening was pretty terrible in comparison (lore, characters, and world only. I've no issues with Awakening's gameplay). Awakening presents itself really well until you apply about teaspoon's worth of thought into it. It even actively messes with Jugdral and Archanean lore but hey, someone who started with Awakening wouldn't see how. The flaws of Awakening relative to the rest of the series have been explained to you, yet you rebuke them with "Awakening sold the highest in the series therefore you're wrong!" despite that the world and characters are not what sold the game.

Whenever someone says something good about Awakening, newsflash, no one gives a shit. Whenever someone pulls the "it saved the series therefore it's immune from criticism" card then we have a problem.

Oh don't mind me, FE series is not what I consider a Bible which I have to memorize every details and its originality.

FE worth my time and money, and it is a game, an entertainment factor, stress release. If your head hurts, I believe you are buying the wrong game or the wrong head.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

Ignorance is not an excuse.

And you are using that statement as an excuse for your worshipping a simple entertainment, as well as justifying your anger and feeling insulted by my harmless opinion.

"Ignorance is not an excuse" is really a laughable and immature statement. A patient come in with a broken leg and doctor refuses to treat him and say "Ignorance is not an excuse." If the punk knows, how would doctor get paid.

You really know nothing about how "ignorance" truly works so don't use it on me because it only tells me who is truly the ignorant one.

Edit: can't delete the post but oh well. Appologize, I get "excited" seeing people use the word ignorance. The use of that word usually show signs of hypocrisy which I do not tolerate.

Edited by Ganhur

I used to hate Mark and the idea of a self-insert character since FE7. Felt very awkward and unnecessary.

That said, while "My Unit" and "Avatar" are the same feature, I find the wording used has different implications. With My Unit, I feel more like it's a character that is not supposed to be me and is just supposed to be a customized character to enrich the experience. In that sense, FE12 and eventually FE13 sold me on the idea by giving them a defined personality (even if they lacked profound features), so that I feel less like it's representing me. Of course, they are still an "avatar" in the sense Link is still "you" while you are playing his game, but the more distanced I feel from MU, the better.

I hope Kamui truly is the Lord of this game in the sense it will be cool to modify their appearance, stats, and class. Just don't want anymore of that creepy dating sim stuff.

Does anyone think Kamui is related to that old ruler we saw a glimpse of in the trailer?

Possibly the child of that old ruler as well as sibling of Max.

And you are using that statement as an excuse for your worshipping a simple entertainment, as well as justifying your anger and feeling insulted by my harmless opinion.

"Ignorance is not an excuse" is really a laughable and immature statement. A patient come in with a broken leg and doctor refuses to treat him and say "Ignorance is not an excuse." If the punk knows, how would doctor get paid.

You really know nothing about how "ignorance" truly works so don't use it on me because it only tells me who is truly the ignorant one.

Edit: can't delete the post but oh well. Appologize, I get "excited" seeing people use the word ignorance. The use of that word usually show signs of hypocrisy which I do not tolerate.

He's saying don't try to acquianted something if not well acquainted with the source material.

Shadow Knight, don't give me that crap about "just sharing my opinion". You started this by claiming everyone who thinks Awakening isn't amazing, a very subjective thing, is wrong because the game sold well and has good reviews. And then used VGChartz as your source.

Don't talk to me about facts when you're the one claiming that Shadow Dragon nearly destroyed the series. It was a very successful game and the rest of the world missing out on New Mystery had nothing to do with the sales as the sales were far more impressive than those of the previous two games and we still got those.

You're the one who tried to pass off varied locations as world building before backpedaling when called out on it.

You then called Czar Yoshi, among other people, purists when his favourite game is Awakening.

Also, what the hell are you talking about? No one said Shadow Dragon sold a million copies. It was me that said it sold over half a million copies, something which even fucking vgchartz agrees with.

And as is to be expected with people who get btfo'd, you chose to single out an auto correct error that I failed to spot in my post. Well done.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Not getting in the current debate, but just one thing...

That said, while "My Unit" and "Avatar" are the same feature, I find the wording used has different implications. With My Unit, I feel more like it's a character that is not supposed to be me and is just supposed to be a customized character to enrich the experience. In that sense, FE12 and eventually FE13 sold me on the idea by giving them a defined personality (even if they lacked profound features), so that I feel less like it's representing me. Of course, they are still an "avatar" in the sense Link is still "you" while you are playing his game, but the more distanced I feel from MU, the better.

Just putting in the Japanese perspective here... there is no difference. They even use katakana of (Abataa kyara) when describing it as a concept. Check the official websites and their description for it... it has "you" there. So that point you're making is only applicable to you. Edited by shadowofchaos

Don't forget about the crappy movie too.

Oh and Aang's outfit needs to be an alternate costume for Robin in smash 5. Eruwindo!

Oh my god, just realized that Robin is a master of the elements.

Also which crappy movie? The overrated CGI action flick or the adaptational shitstorm?

At least the CGI film genuinely looks good even if the story is crap...

Yeah, James Cameron's Avatar is at least a mediocre film with flashy colours and some cool effects, but holy crap it was nominated for best picture WTF?

The Last Airbender is to the Avatar franchise what Metroid Other M is to the Metroid series, but at least Last Airbender wasn't canon.

Yeah, James Cameron's Avatar is at least a mediocre film with flashy colours and some cool effects, but holy crap it was nominated for best picture WTF?

The Last Airbender is to the Avatar franchise what Metroid Other M is to the Metroid series, but at least Last Airbender wasn't canon.

To be honest, I really liked the first half of the movie before it devolved in sci-fi war movie #23435

shh it never happened

I'm staying out of any debates here, but I will say that if they bring back the Avatar they should stop reminding you every 2 seconds that you're the most amazing piece of ass in the entire game whom without we would be helpless.

I'm staying out of any debates here, but I will say that if they bring back the Avatar they should stop reminding you every 2 seconds that you're the most amazing piece of ass in the entire game whom without we would be helpless.

I definitely want this too. I would prefer if the Avatar is a character who's personality is molded by our choice and if I make the character do something horrible, like condemn an entire fleet of people to death by either fire or drowning, I would expect other characters to at least question that decision instead of fawning over how brilliant it is.

Most amazing piece of ass who sucks at chess and can cook and eat bear meat.

I seriously didn't like how half the time Robin, who is supposedly to be you the player, just stands there and then maybe puts in his two cents or just silently watches the situation or in a moment of truth, comes up with a solution to the terrible dilemma. The personality is so paper thin that I bet I can poke a hole through it and MAYBE find a little bit of dirt in there.

I definitely want this too. I would prefer if the Avatar is a character who's personality is molded by our choice and if I make the character do something horrible, like condemn an entire fleet of people to death by either fire or drowning, I would expect other characters to at least question that decision instead of fawning over how brilliant it is.

Hm, that'd be interesting if other characters besides the main ones react to the choices that you the player make. Maybe it'll also affect future interactions with the NPCs too. For example, you decide to torch a city and in the next chapter, some of the villages are closed due to the fear that you'll torch them too.

Edited by ???

Isn't that the truth though? Without you the player to guide them they will die.

Most amazing piece of ass who sucks at chess and can cook and eat bear meat.

I seriously didn't like how half the time Robin, who is supposedly to be you the player, just stands there and then maybe puts in his two cents or just silently watches the situation or in a moment of truth, comes up with a solution to the terrible dilemma. The personality is so paper thin that I bet I can poke a hole through it and MAYBE find a little bit of dirt in there.

Hm, that'd be interesting if other characters besides the main ones react to the choices that you the player make. Maybe it'll also affect future interactions with the NPCs too. For example, you decide to torch a city and in the next chapter, some of the villages are closed due to the fear that you'll torch them too.

Well I just had the thought of how great it would be if the avatar started with being able to support with everyone, but some choices you made during the game would close some supports options. I'm not expecting it to happen, but I think something interesting regarding how to characterize the avatar's personality and make him unique depending on your choices in a playthrough could result from that.