108 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think there will be DLC?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should there be DLC?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends
  3. 3. Should the DLC be similar to Awakening? (Getting lord characters, convos, grinding, etc.) Or something completely different?

• A fresh take on DLC
    • Like they did in Awakening
    • A little of both
    • None of the above
  4. 4. What about DLC Lord artworks? Will they recycle them? New ones?

• Recycled
    • Brand New Artworks!
    • New artworks for the untreated characters (Eliwood, Hector, Sigurd, Awakening chars?)
    • You ask too many questions Knight
    • No new artworks :(

I wasn't too keen on the DLC in Awakening, but since it was so successful I can't see them NOT doing it. Personally, while I loved the fanservice in them having characters from other games appear, it felt very trivial as really they were just generic units. I'd prefer just a few characters appearing if that meant they'd actually get some lines, a DLC-story or simply some unique classes/items.

I hope they keep the basic ideas of Awakening's DLC, but implement them better.

In Awakening, they talked about how the idea for DLC came at the end of development, but, even so, they seemingly refused to ever patch the game to implement the DLC in a more solid way. New characters? Had to use the avatar system and so had no unique quotes or supports. DLC based on conversations? They couldn't be actual supports nor receive their own log somewhere else, just stage conversations not recorded anywhere. New bgms? They couldn't be added to the game's bgm list.

I'd like to see all that actually implemented throughoutly this time. Now, if there are still free spotpass/Bonus Team characters, those not being as fully featured as the real characters is perfectly understandable, but they really could get some generic quotes and some kind of generic support just for gameplay's sake at least. Also, they should make the avatar system having in mind that they're going to be used for past characters this time. A headband hairstyle, for example, or a simple "long hair with bangs" really should be there.

Of course, better map design and story than what was seen in the first collection of maps would be welcome too, but Awakening itself seemed to do that with the second batch of DLC. I'd have liked to see all that effort put into the DLC for past heroes too though. For example, rather than randomly fighting one group then another, then another, each 3 map pack could have worked as a mini-campaign like Future Past, with the plot leading to a final battle of sorts, and some characters could join the player during a battle, after the battle or even start as enemies and need to be convinced mid-map, exactly like in the main game's campaign, avoiding the formulaic feeling of Awakening's legacy maps.

Honestly, the thing I thought was the worst about the DLC was the legacy characters. While seeing the interactions between Chrom and Old Hubba was amusing (at least the first time), the actual plotline for the Einherjars was complete rubbish*, and the idea of bringing so many characters from old games was complete bullshit fanservice and really rather immersion breaking for me. I never actually used any of the DLC available characters, and primarily purchased/played those levels that came with something aside from those old characters, such as the skill- and class-granting maps.

I'd like to believe that the inclusion of all those old characters was mostly done as an homage to the old games in fear that Awakening would be the last. If that's the case, than I think we might be able to put that mechanic to rest.

I think old characters is perfect for DLC content. They can't really introduce new characters without making it seem like they're cutting the main game apart. Awakening DLC had some problems, but splitting it into the "Outrealms" outside of the standard world was a perfect move to avoid making it feel like cut content from the main game.

If they introduce some plot relevant lord character, it could be seen like they're keeping content from the game behind a closed wall. However, if they reintroduce Chrom or Lucina as DLC characters here, it'll clearly be just an extra bonus and you still have the complete story of FE If with the base game itself. Obviously, if this time the past heroes are actually implemented to be on par with the main cast in mechanics and presentation, even players who don't know those characters from previous games will have a chance to enjoy them too as much as any main cast member, unlike what happened with Awakening, where you likely only would bother with them if you're a big fan of the characters.

Edited by NeonZ

I just want characters who can support too.

And I was genuinely surprised Eliwood, the main lord of his game, didn't get new art, while Lyn, an incredibly boring tutorial lord, did. Sigurd also needed some.

There's also the need to give them unique models. I don't want avatars with old character customization please and thank you love a not bald Oliver.

Imo, Ike was too short and skinny and had too much of a robo-looking arm, Seliph had a stupid face and weird outfit, and Micaiah had ugly balloon boobs and Tharja's bad outfit. Also wasn't in her character.

I'd love the idea of the DLC characters supporting one another (but cannot do the same with the established main casts), especially if they are from different universes. It'd be fun.

Edited by Ryo

Dude, have you ever heard of skipping cutscenes with Start? You're not supposed to read that stuff 10,000 times.

Of course I do! It's just tedious is all.

I'm all for DLC but I hope that this time around the devs would actually bother to program unique DLC character models, instead of palette swapping generic class models.

Someone about all the DLC characters looking exactly the same in battle sequences really irks me.

Edited by HowTragic

In MY opinion (Brace for impact!) the Hero armor wasn't ALL that bad. It kinda felt fitting, expect the whole... Arm-Shield thing.

But it must've been pretty handy!

*ba dum tss*

No, but in all seriousness, it's the fact they tried to make Ike look slick and sneaky in his portarit, when in all honesty, he's a living tank of a man.

Thousand puppy are dead thanks to that pun

When I talked about armors, I was talking about how they shouldn't be worn by past characters, sorry for the misunderstanding, I should've been more clear. Hero armor was actually pretty cool. Still don't like FEA armor but I'm cool with it compared to the other.

Lyn's artwork was strange, but I like the swordmaster design so I'm cool, but I'm happy that we didn't have Hector and Eliwood, just thinking about the classes design, General, Great Knight, Paladin... it makes me sick.

Micaiah's artwork really had a moe, pure, innocence feeling all over, which was complettly completely by the boobs suit.

I'm surprised we didn't have more hentai pic about her.

Edited by B.Leu

When it gets going, it won't stop. DLC will make a return, like it or not. That rhyme was unintentional, actually. But in all seriousness, the DLC in Awakening was mostly well received so I doubt they'll stop with this game. I just hope it's good and be worth the money.

just thinking about the classes design, General, Great Knight, Paladin... it makes me sick.

Aww! No need to HOUND me over that pun!

*ba du- I'm a terrible person.

I dunno, I kinda like de Paladin design.

...what if there was DLC for alternate costumes/armor?

Personally, I'd prefer if they somehow managed to completely recreate classic Fire Emblem games as DLC. It would serve as a way to bring the games to America without having to spend too much extra effort on making them, allowing IS to spend more time on brand new titles.

If we had special design Einherjar (this word reminds me of Riviera every time) in FE13, then we'll probably have the TCG cards. They're there anyway.

I think we will have DLC chapters this time too, and I'm all for it. Future Past really entertained me, and so did Apotheosis. I did skip the conversation ones, and I only got the final map for chapters that share map (Japanese version player here, so I couldn't buy packs at discounted prices), but I do generally like the idea of extra chapters (not so for their balance-breaking rewards, though). I just hope whatever DLC rewards won't be awarding +10 bonuses this time.

Unrelated: I'm betting that if past characters and DLC chapters are both present, they'll be making fun of Wrys somewhat. Between STEAM and Fire Emblem World's announcement, Wrys had quite some presence.

When I talked about armors, I was talking about how they shouldn't be worn by past characters, sorry for the misunderstanding, I should've been more clear. Hero armor was actually pretty cool. Still don't like FEA armor but I'm cool with it compared to the other.

Lyn's artwork was strange, but I like the swordmaster design so I'm cool, but I'm happy that we didn't have Hector and Eliwood, just thinking about the classes design, General, Great Knight, Paladin... it makes me sick.

I hope they keep mixing past heroes with the new class designs based on the new game, even if they get unique models this time. It's a nice twist for older characters. The main issue with Awakening was the inconsistency of the guest artists. They should just get the main artist to redesign them.

Edited by NeonZ

I think old characters is perfect for DLC content. They can't really introduce new characters without making it seem like they're cutting the main game apart.

Or they could just not introduce more characters through DLC at all? Awakening had way more than enough characters even without the DLC/SpotPass additions.

To be honest I thought the dlc in Awakening was a bit rubbish. Though thats because I didn't like the whole Outrealm gate thing from a story perspective and would rather Fire emblem stay away from time travel/multiple worlds shenanigans.

If they were to implement mini campaigns that would be cool. For example lets say there is some npc character in this game that has a rich background but, for the purposes of story pacing, that background can't be explored fully. So instead they could make a 5-10 chapter campaign with that character as the MC. Hell they could could even use this model to flesh out some of the characters in other fire emblem games such as making a campaign were the MC is Greil or something. I wouldn't mind this model cause the dlc would feel extra and not part of the main game unlike with Awakening where the dlc can help you with the main game.

Edited by Zamimari

To be honest I thought the dlc in Awakening was a bit rubbish. Though thats because I didn't like the whole Outrealm gate thing from a story perspective and would rather Fire emblem stay away from time travel/multiple worlds shenanigans.

If they were to implement mini campaigns that would be cool. For example lets say there is some npc character in this game that has a rich background but, for the purposes of story pacing, that background can't be explored fully. So instead they could make a 5-10 chapter campaign with that character as the MC. Hell they could could even use this model to flesh out some of the characters in other fire emblem games such as making a campaign were the MC is Greil or something. I wouldn't mind this model cause the dlc would feel extra and not part of the main game unlike with Awakening where the dlc can help you with the main game.

Something like what was discussed here then.

Of course DLC is going to return, Awakening's did great. It kept people playing the game past the main campaign and had a lot of varied stuff, whether it be for new characters, new skills, new equipment, new classes, farming maps, socialization ones, or just new challenges for the sake of fun.

And that's actually the problem: I can't think of anything NEW they could add because they hit all the bases with Awakening's DLC. It had a lot of variety and there's really nothing to expand with except "do the same but just better."

Yes DLC will most likely return and I hope it does it was one of my favorite parts of Awakening. I think it should be similar to Awakening but I answered a little of both of Awakening and something new. For the character designs some need to be redone outright (cough Ike cough Micaiah) but i generally liked them particulary Roy, Lyn, and Ephrahim looked badass.