• Yes, helps balance the game
    • No, the game is broken as is
    • Other

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure they could work kinda like they did in Gaiden

So basically something like "third tier promotions are the same as second tier promotions but with higher base stats"?

Granted, that statement is not quite accurate since there are a few classes whose properties change significantly. Archers gain a horse, Pegasus Knights start slaying monsters, Mages learn to heal and Soldiers become Armored knights. The thing is, this kind of change only happens once during their class progression. So even in Gaiden, the third tier is pointless.

Edited by BrightBow

Imho, 3rd Tier would only work if the enemies themselves were buffed and the game length called for it. Seriously, the order enemies you fight at the end of RD are complete and utter wimps. Would have been nice to see all of them at Level 60 and the funny thing is their max stats are only slightly lower than a 20/20/20 PC of the same class :\ ( probably what makes RD so anti-climatic for me )

Honestly I would love it if third tiers returned. They aren't a major thing, but I thought they were a lot of fun. If it meant no reclassing I'd be fine with it. Although if each character only had one reclass option at base level at worst they'd be looking at three more classes than Awakening could give you access to, at least for the parents. It would be less options than the children potentially could have at least. Avatar would get a bit out of hand though.

I preferred re-classing to third tiers tbh. Both were broken so that's not really the issue here. I liked the variety that re-classing offered. I could continue to play with my favorite characters personality wise but play completely differently by re-classing them. Sniper Chrom and Warrior Gaius ftw.

I did't really like third tier promotions in fe10. Broken skills, messed up the second tiers with low caps and it did't really feel neccesary either. The only good thing that came out of it was the marksman who actually did change a little after promotion, but otherwise it was pretty meh.

I'm not against third tier promotions returning, but they need a pretty big overhaul in my opinion.

• 1 month later...

How do you think it would work with branching promotes? Would the classes branch further upon reaching third-tier, or would the 2nd-tier class promote to either a 3rd-tier version of itself or the other 2nd-tier class option?

I've actually put some thought into this. I would have some branches would remain independent but others would feature unique third tiers that are more specialized

ex mounted classes would converge into several specialized mounts

AI Archer could go either bow knight->"silver knight" -using RD name as a stand in which could also be reached by a Paladin etc

while a sniper would go to marksman

additionally in the same context Dark knight an Valkyrie could converge to a potent magical mounted class that would suffer slightly wise stats than the pure magic infantry would get

but yeah if tier three units return they need to be used by enemies...

Edited by Dragrath

Not only pair up and t3 and fe13 caps and limit breaker, we should bring back FE4 level S/* rank weapons. That's right I'm talking about +10 to +30 stat point bonuses and 30 base might weapons that you can repair by paying gold and have 50 uses to start with.

You know you want it.

I can't stop laughing thinking about this.

I don't actually want third tier promotions back, though. Considering we're most likely getting pair-up and reclassing back, it would be too hard to balance for on the opposing side and just seems unnecessary. However, if they did come back, I wouldn't be too upset because I'd probably find a fair amount of fun in just wrecking shit.

Oooo..... I dunno, it seems really cool but still... Eh fuck it. I loved using them in Radiant Dawn, I'll love them here if they come back. Maybe for only certain characters? Like have the Avatar get 3rd Tier God-itar or something. Except... that'd be sooo OP if it went like I think it would. Maybe they'll change up the mechanics for 3rd Tier to balance it like having certain characters achieving it in certain chapters? Like if a waifu/husbando died the character would go into rage mode or something.....

I'm just reaching at this point aren't I?

Third tier wouldn't even be that different from reclassing. It just allows you to not re-class while still raking in the stat boosts.

Then it's unnecessary because it serves the same purpose as reclassing, which, if we're going off of Awakening, is to get to the stat boosts, and that's probably the system they're bringing back.

I voted no. More tiers just increases number inflation and doesn't really accomplish anything that can't be done in a two tier system. Radiant Dawn was, for all its praise, practically speaking two tiers with the majority of your army starting at Tier 2. Most Tier 3 classes couldn't do more than what Tier 2 did in Path of Radiance. Your guys looked cool but that's the only real benefit.

Awakening's problem wasn't a lack of vertical scaling, it was too much freedom to reclass and grind.

Third tier classes would most likely add more content & more content means more FUN. So I think they should be put back in.

Third tier classes would only add extra levels and stat inflation in terms of content, and those are two things we don't need and IMO would lend themselves to a game with excessive padding. I'd much rather have a shorter but tighter FE game than a bloated and drawn-out one.

I voted no. More tiers just increases number inflation and doesn't really accomplish anything that can't be done in a two tier system. Radiant Dawn was, for all its praise, practically speaking two tiers with the majority of your army starting at Tier 2. Most Tier 3 classes couldn't do more than what Tier 2 did in Path of Radiance. Your guys looked cool but that's the only real benefit.

Awakening's problem wasn't a lack of vertical scaling, it was too much freedom to reclass and grind.

Agreed.

Edited by The Legendary Falchion

I want to see them. They shouldn't branch, though. I want to see the second tier be a branch and the third tier be an upgrade to whatever you chose. This would allow the classes to be more differentiated.

I think it would be cool if once a unit reached the third tier, they 'mastered' the class and can return to that specific third tier class at any time (assuming second seals return).

Then it's unnecessary because it serves the same purpose as reclassing, which, if we're going off of Awakening, is to get to the stat boosts, and that's probably the system they're bringing back.

By itself maybe, but the point would be to have different skills and branching options.

That's kinda why I'm thinking that if they bring back third tiers they could bring in class locking. So in other words you could reclass for the bases to aquire skills and such and promote to the second tier but from there you couldn't go back and your options would be limited based on that class then so on and so forth.

By itself maybe, but the point would be to have different skills and branching options.

I still don't see how that serves a different purpose from reclassing. If it was included alongside reclassing, it wouldn't contribute much, especially not with the way it was implemented in RD. However...

That's kinda why I'm thinking that if they bring back third tiers they could bring in class locking. So in other words you could reclass for the bases to aquire skills and such and promote to the second tier but from there you couldn't go back and your options would be limited based on that class then so on and so forth.

If something like this is implemented, I'd be slightly more in favor of them returning. This would probably feature less stat inflation and maybe even less grinding. In all honesty I'd rather go back to more linear growth without stat inflation than either reintroducing third tiers or Awakening's reclassing, but that's unrealistic.

I still don't see how that serves a different purpose from reclassing. If it was included alongside reclassing, it wouldn't contribute much, especially not with the way it was implemented in RD. However...

It would be similar to reclassing, but have special unique options that reclassing doesn't have.

Or better yet I would just scrap the endless reclassing.

Edited by Radiant head

It would be similar to reclassing, but have special unique options that reclassing doesn't have.

Or better yet I would just scrap the endless reclassing.

I don't see the draw aside from maybe even more broken skills, stat inflation, and leveling up than we had in Awakening, and even with extra unique skills it still feels too similar to be included alongside reclassing.

Infinite reclassing itself isn't the biggest issue. Infinite leveling is. I wouldn't mind seeing a lack of reclassing in If, though.

Edited by The Legendary Falchion

So what you're suggesting is that they can reclass while in first tier but after they promote to second tier, they should be unable to return to 1st tier? That's an interesting idea. Personally, for the main game I think reclassing should not be readily available. Each class should have its own set of skills that makes them unique and if people want to make optimized skill sets, it should be reserved for post-game content.

If something like this is implemented, I'd be slightly more in favor of them returning. This would probably feature less stat inflation and maybe even less grinding. In all honesty I'd rather go back to more linear growth without stat inflation than either reintroducing third tiers or Awakening's reclassing, but that's unrealistic.

That's the idea.

So what you're suggesting is that they can reclass while in first tier but after they promote to second tier, they should be unable to return to 1st tier? That's an interesting idea. Personally, for the main game I think reclassing should not be readily available. Each class should have its own set of skills that makes them unique and if people want to make optimized skill sets, it should be reserved for post-game content.

Yep that would be the plan. In essensce you'd have to choose which track to go on and what to stats to take advantage of and which super powerful skills you want to get (2nd 3rd tier) because once you go up you can't go back.

I say yes, as long as they do what RD did not. Enemy third teirs. And I don't just mean Endgame bosses, I mean staring down a dozen Marshals, Gold/Silver Knights, and Archsages.

Let the bloodbath begin~

Personally, I'm not that excited about the prospect of third tiers returning, if only because you'd need the game to be rather long to justify three class tiers... which I doubt will be the case with this game.

Edited by Levant Caprice