Why do some people love Roy so much?

Glaceon10

To be fair though his Awakening design is pretty beast looks like he hit puberty.

Yeah, that art was pretty good.

Also, I do find it rather strange when people use the medieval age morals when talking about games which usually run on insane and unrealistic logic anyway.

If it really was the medieval ages it would be a lot more brutal and depraved, neither of which I particularly want to see.

Edited by Tryhard

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, Ana, i bet you'd have kittens if you ever read A Song Of Ice And Fire. Daenerys is 13 years old when the story begins. Shes about 16 when she starts city sacking.

I was just about to bring this up, since Robb's around 14 or so when he gets crowned and starts leading his army.

Edited by algae

Skill and Luck levels are actually pretty good in FE6 considering some class hit rates are abysmal.

Roy feels like too perfect of a character to me. He's a tactical genius, a good fighter and an effective leader at the age of 15?

His growths are just fine, he just becomes dead-weight once promotions start happening.

Skl lck spd hp is what roy frequently procced on my NM run... though I was aware that the final boss is a joke and didn't bother to rig str, and fun fact, he could ORKO a C22 Sorcerer with about no Str procs.

When you look at it, most of the Lord actually have fairly realistic potrayal in term of Leadership

Ike is a mere 17 years old dude with no experience, so we got to see the side that tried to guide and follow him, and the one that did not accept him.

Marth and Seliph is basically the same. They are a runaway prince who have someone with TONS of experience to guide him, which is Jeigan and Oifey. Seliph is also guided by Levin for the rest of his story

Ephraim and Roy, honestly isn't as unrealistic as they seem. While their acomplishment seems extremely unrealistic(conquering a castle with 3 people. Rofl), it is more that they are competent on their own while everyone else being inexperienced. Being a prince, they are basically forced to learn Leadership and Battle tactics and stuff. They are directly taught by someone who is pretty experienced in the subject, and they have no such thing as "war time" or being a runaway prince that could hinder their growth.

And then we have Leif. Leif wasn't exactly a Leader as much as he is a guy who is manipulated by everyone to give them what they want simply because he's "the son of the tragic hero". It ends with a realistic, interesting, and of course, messed up development.
While other Lords because a "good ruler" with the development they got over the course of the game, Leif grows from a spoiled kid into the biggest asshole in Fire Emblem. Unlike Seliph and Marth, he have no one who could guide him to become a good Leader. His advisor is a sugarcoating bastard and someone who provide his accurate, but messed up morals. This is fairly different compared to say... Roy. Merlinus existance is to show that Roy is an independent person who don't need someone who acts sceptically because he can make his own judgment. August existance is to teach Leif how to make his own decision instead of being the guy who is used by everyone. He MADE Leif to be an asshole(or, in August words, a hero). I mean, Leif by the end of Thracia is the guy who

- Used civilian as a meatshield

- Know how to deceive people with smart talks

- Know which side to take and take advantage of

- Learned how to leave and use emotional attachment to his advantage

As a result most of the negotiations in FE 5 ends in the same way

"I bring up someone you love to mess with your emotions and then use it to get what i wanted out of you"

By the end of Thracia, Leif shows his true colors by putting a huge emphasis into millitary development, that he might as well conducted a cold war.

p.s. headcanon is a beautiful thing

Edited by JSND

I really love some of the posts in this thread.

*gives JSND a thumbs up*

WAIT! Is that why Leif is a trickster in Awakening? :o

...and yeah, Merlinus is a whiny, irritating douche, but at least he carries my crap. YMMV on the "comedy."

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

I always thought Merlinius was supposed to be some kind of comic relief.

In a jerkish way. And a lol horrible unit kinda way.

There were times in my Hard Mode Run that I used him as bait to draw enemies away from one of my units who was about to die.

I really love some of the posts in this thread.

*gives JSND a thumbs up*

WAIT! Is that why Leif is a trickster in Awakening? :o

...and yeah, Merlinus is a whiny, irritating douche, but at least he carries my crap. YMMV on the "comedy."

Could have sworn it was a capture reference, on top of his sword having a Despoil effect.

That sounds like an accurate description of FE6 Merlinus.

There were times in my Hard Mode Run that I used him as bait to draw enemies away from one of my units who was about to die.

Still needs to get attacked 100 times to hit level 2

Still needs to get attacked 100 times to hit level 2

Yeah, but he's useful at least ONCE a level as bait I suppose before he retreats. He deserves that much after all the nagging he does.

Edited by DragonLord

Yeah, but he's useful at least ONCE a level I suppose before he retreats. He deserves that much after all the nagging he does.

I guess.

If only he cold level via the convoy/had monstrous bases/got more EXP from getting attacked.

I'm pretty sure that's what Merlinus was supposed to do.

I always got the feeling that Merlinus was there just for comic relief, because otherwise he failed miserably on his role. August was way more serious and, if I remember correctly, some of his advises were sound (better than that other advisor who died later in the game, at least).

Roy isn't bad, he's just... unremarkable? I can't recall any good character development coming from him, and his good moments were few.

The Sword of Seals.

Though in terms of character I like Roy because he's not really the mighty force the other lords are. He's more like an intellectual. He was out studying before this war began, not lounging around in the castle. His teacher is a prominent character in the game and in his first attack against the empire he doesn't outright succeed, nor is he outright defeated. He wasn't so strong that he could topple the opposing force in one assault (Ike, Ephraim) nor did he get too over confident and make a mistake the forced a retreat (Marth and Leif, to a certain extent). He manages to fight the war to a standstill which is later renewed. He is also wise enough not to go rushing headlong back into battle based on Elphin's information. The guy is cautious, seemingly aware of his own limitations but still manages to succeed on his own. Merlinus in the plot basically exists to critisize and insult people while Roy says hang on, there might be some merit here. I think his weak stats and use as a combat unit in the game only serve to reflect his powerless but smar aspect of the character. Though a lot of this is very subtle, FE6 is surprisingly simple in terms of plot.

Edited by Jotari

Calling Dorias an advisor is an insult to the word "advisor"

I mean, he told Leif to become a just, wise ruler like Cuan, and Cuan is anything but just and wise

Also the first arc of Thracia is literally Manster Prison Break. A thief based class is a brilliant match to Leif

Edited by JSND

Evil August would be epic if only because he could possibly cause Trabant to win less

I mean at the end of the day the real winner of Jugdral storyline is Trabant. He basically get everything he wanted without even paying a cost, since Areone is alive and well

Evil August would be epic if only because he could possibly cause Trabant to win less

I mean at the end of the day the real winner of Jugdral storyline is Trabant. He basically get everything he wanted without even paying a cost, since Areone is alive and well

He uh...kind of had to pay the cost of his life and step daughter's love/respect to get what he wanted. That seems like a pretty major price to me. Not to mention it's Leif's house that went on to rule the united Thracia. So he could have probably achieved the same thing and more if he just left Seliph pass through his lands and then gave up leadership to them after they won (or out right joined them). Really the whole point of the Thracia chapter in Genealogy is the fact that it's a pointless battle being fought out of pride. Trabant was too proud to help or ignore Seliph but still wanted the best for his kingdom so he committed bloody suicide and ordered Areone to make peace afterwards, something Areone was too stubborn to actually do, at least initially. The whole ordeal could easily have been avoided if the Thracians decided not to be colossal dicks. The Chapter Title is even called For Whose Sake to reinforce this.

Edited by Jotari

He uh...kind of had to pay the cost of his life and step daughter's love/respect to get what he wanted. That seems like a pretty major price to me. Not to mention it's Leif's house that went on to rule the united Thracia. So he could have probably achieved the same thing and more if he just left Seliph pass through his lands and then gave up leadership to them after they won (or out right joined them). Really the whole point of the Thracia chapter in Genealogy is the fact that it's a pointless battle being fought out of pride. Trabant was too proud to help or ignore Seliph but still wanted the best for his kingdom so he committed bloody suicide and ordered Areone to make peace afterwards, something Areone was too stubborn to actually do, at least initially. The whole ordeal could easily have been avoided if the Thracians decided not to be colossal dicks. The Chapter Title is even called For Whose Sake to reinforce this.

Yeah the Thracia chapter is ridiculously mundane. The game even questioned what the fuck we are doing in this place, and it just happened that its like half of the game

Trabant's goal is actually to make his land one where people can actually plant crops with or something like that. Looking back on the character endings, this is pretty much what Dagda did for the rest of his life, while Leif is busy trying to become Darth Vader

• 2 weeks later...

I'll give my two cents on the matter, even if it seems like everyone's forgotten who Roy is.

I personally like Roy, and I think of him being somewhat like a more competent, less depressed Shinji Ikari from Evangelion. He's forced into this war through no merit of his own, simply because he was the only one to fill the role. He has no combat experience, and this is reflected through his bases and growths, he's not that good, and that's why seeing through with his accomplishments is so satisfying. He's supposed to be unlikable initially, at least to an extent, he's unfit to lead the war, and he knows it. He tries his best, but it simply isn't good enough, and that's why it's so satisfying when Roy finally wins. It's a classic underdog's tale, though it may not be the best written one, Roy has a lot of spunk and charisma, at least IMO, and that's what makes him so likable.

Now on to how Roy PLAYS, yeah, I can't deny that Roy isn't the best unit you get, but he isn't the worst either. Far from it. I may be crazy, but I always felt like mid game FE6 had more sword users then per usual, and this helps to ease the wound a little, but not entirely. Honestly, the best thing you can do is save the Chapter 7 Rapier as long as you can, just doing THAT makes Roy immensely more usable.

Also he has red anime hair, that helps a lot because it's cool. I guess.

I personally like Roy, and I think of him being somewhat like a more competent, less depressed Shinji Ikari from Evangelion.

So...he's nothing like Shinji.

The only thing that they are any simmilar from is the fact that Roy "apparently" misses his mother

Otherwise he is like... the perfect guy who is ready for anything

I don't know about you but I actually like a character who is "perfect" once in awhile.

Like... in Super Robot Wars W, Kazuma goes from an unexperienced young guy into a character who is functionally a mecha fanboy self insert mary sue. But the older one is AWESOME anyway so it doesn't matter

• 3 months later...

I am not questioning it, though why do some people seem to love him so much, ignoring any and all Super Smash Bros.-based reasons? From my experience while seeing people talk about Roy, I have only seen hate.

Again, I am not questioning it. I am simply curious.

I think lots of people like him in Melee, so that migtnbe why.

Read the OP before you post. Also, this topic was dead for months before you posted on it.