Why do some people love Roy so much?

Glaceon10

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lyn was 15 in NOJ fe7, and more or less led her army back to santaruz (though id argue that Kent was the real lord there).

Ike is 17 in Fe9

Lief is 15/16 in his timelines

Marth is 16 in shadow dragon, and fe1 since its the same game

Eliwood and Hector are 17 and both become marquesses, and obviously lead an army

Roy being 15 ist that farfetched when you look at the timelines and ages, and a 17 year old is hardly more befitting of leadership than a 15 year old.

i dunno, considering Roy's a noble, i could see him being appointed to lead an army by his dad, which is what happened

Especially considering

Hector's dying wish was for Roy to lead the remains of the Lycian Alliance, it would make sense for him to bear the responsibility of Lycia's defence. I mean, it's not like he could just refuse. But he did doubt himself at first, shown in the conversation between him and the dying Hector.

Edited by DragonLord

He's 17 at the start of PoR, and 18 by the end. That's what I heard at least. It's realistic enough for medieval times. People joined the army at that age back then.

Joining =/= leading. In addition, Medieval lifespans were shorter, so 15 isn't an unrealistic age to join either.

No matter how you look at it, both were on the young side for their positions. That's what I'm saying.

I haven't played FE5, but I hear they did a splendid job with Lief's personality too, even though he's the same age as Roy.

An 18 year old leading an army still isn't nearly as unrealistic as a 15 year old leading one. A 15 year old getting married is unrealistic too. Lyn's age was bumped up to 18 outside of Japan for this reason, I assume.

Joining =/= leading.

Doesn't matter. A person could've joined at 16 or 17 and gotten promoted to a captain or something a year or two later. This was quite possible in medieval times. In fact, I think a 15 year old even JOINING the army is unrealistic. One could be a squire, that's pretty much it.

Edited by Anacybele

An 18 year old leading an army still isn't nearly as unrealistic as a 15 year old leading one. A 15 year old getting married is unrealistic too. Lyn's age was bumped up to 18 outside of Japan for this reason, I assume.

Doesn't matter. A person could've joined at 16 or 17 and gotten promoted to a captain or something a year or two later. This was quite possible in medieval times. In fact, I think a 15 year old even JOINING the army is unrealistic. One could be a squire, that's pretty much it.

Marriage thing: Like I said, lifespans were shorter those days. It wasn't uncommon for younger marriages because of that. Though admittedly, girls typically married younger than guys.

Lyn's age getting bumped has nothing to do with marriage. Nino is only 14 (though she has Raigh and Lugh at 20~21) and Rebecca was 15 in FE7 (though she had Wolt at around 20 as well). Neither of them got age edits.

And like others pointed out, Roy was born to status, and Eliwood couldn't lead because he was very ill. In fact, the only reason he left his studies in Ostia to fight was because Eliwood couldn't.

Lycia's rules state should they be attacked, they all have to pitch in and fight back. Eliwood can't without holding back everyone, so he calls Roy home to go in his place. Then Hector dies, Araphen is wrecked, Lord Orun is assasinated, and Laus turns traitor... leaving Roy as pretty much the only guy left.

Edit: Lol FE17.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

If yoy look purely at stats roy actually isn't that bad IIRC

I mean wasn't he the top of top tier, with 2 Swordies and Shin as the gods back when Arena simulator was a thing?

His growths actually are just fine.

He has kinda lousy bases, and a late promotion making it hard to use those growths.

Still, there wouldn't have been any harm in Roy being just a tad older. I'd be more approving of him if he was. Sorry, but this is my opinion.

So be it. I'm biased for younger characters, but I just kinda find it a bit hypocritical to find Roy's age unrealistic but not Ike's

Or maybe gave him an August like figure to warn and him, and get angry at his mistakes.

I'm pretty sure that's what Merlinus was supposed to do.

So be it. I'm biased for younger characters, but I just kinda find it a bit hypocritical to find Roy's age unrealistic but not Ike's

I had a feeling. You always did seem to favor the kid characters. I myself am more biased for the older ones. I just prefer them. Let's leave it at that.

Edited by Anacybele

I don't know I always kinda think its cool seeing kids accomplish feats aka Young Link in OoT/MM, Kid Goku in Dragonball (although he is a super powered alien), and I guess now Roy. Maybe I'll give FE6 a shot after all. I mean Ike is still a boy in PoR slightly older than Roy but not by much. The difference is that someone ate their wheaties for breakfast and someone else didn't.

I don't know I always kinda think its cool seeing kids accomplish feats aka Young Link in OoT/MM, Kid Goku in Dragonball (although he is a super powered alien), and I guess now Roy. Maybe I'll give FE6 a shot after all.

Nice to see you'll be giving it a try.

Yeah as long as I can get an English emulation of it I'll be good I'll probably get wrecked though.

It's not as hard as people make it out to be though, so I wouldn't worry. Heck, it was my first FE and I managed to get by without losing a single unit. Unless of course you play Hard Mode lol. That's practically suicidal if you've never played the game before.

Edited by DragonLord

It's not as hard as people make it out to be though, so I wouldn't worry. Heck, it was my first FE and I managed to get by without losing a single unit. Unless of course you play Hard Mode lol. That's practically suicidal if you've never played the game before.

I've beat HM on RD and Lunatic on Awakening so I think I'll be ok on normal on FE6 its just Roy being weak and the late game promotion.

I've beat HM on RD and Lunatic on Awakening so I think I'll be ok on normal on FE6 its just Roy being weak and the late game promotion.

Yeah, this reinforces my point that you'll be fine. You get so many amazing units that it won't matter that Roy is weak. Although in the last few chapters Roy is practically a killing machine. That's one reason I really like him as well. Too bad it happens so late.

Edited by DragonLord

The RNG is evil in that game. Get ready for +skill +luck levels and missing at 40%.

I'm just thinking about the Sacae route and those damn Nomads with their high evade and attack speed.

I'm not trying to make an argument here, but I have problems with the "facts" and "big difference" you're presenting.

Sorry, but a fifteen year old leading an army for any reason is not realistic.

He's 17 at the start of PoR, and 18 by the end. That's what I heard at least. It's realistic enough for medieval times. People joined the army at that age back then.

Though from my understanding, the royal/noble was also supposed to be a central part of the army's morale, and Roy does fit that title. Can't say much on his story because I haven't played FE6 yet. Roy's age really is not that far off from Leif's, and I'd say Leif more than qualifies too for his military position due to being a noble.

You're pitching for a big difference between someone who's a noble but younger by two-three years than a guy who's not a noble and older. If anything, Ike should have had less of a chance to lead an army as early as he did than Roy. And I like Ike, I do, but I have to admit who qualifies more than another for a military position.

You're missing a couple things to consider in terms of culture:

1) There's extra "squick" in NA (read: America) for older people to marry what we consider "underage" now. And we don't see them bumping every girls' ages in FE7 (Nino, Rebecca, etc.) probably because they aren't eligible to marry Eliwood or Hector, who seems to get married close to the end of the game... and even if we do, there's still Florina and I would gander she's around Lyn's Japanese age. (Was Florina's age bumped as well? SF just says teens for Florina's age.)

2) Marrying at 15 is not unrealistic for the times. Especially for the girls. From this here:

An age of consent statute first appeared in secular law in 1275 in England[...] The statute, Westminster 1, made it a misdemeanor to "ravish" a "maiden within age," whether with or without her consent. The phrase "within age" was interpreted by jurist Sir Edward Coke as meaning the age of marriage, which at the time was 12 years of age.

A 1576 law making it a felony to "unlawfully and carnally know and abuse any woman child under the age of 10 years" was generally interpreted as creating more severe punishments when girls were under 10 years old while retaining the lesser punishment for acts with 10- and 11-year-old girls. [...] A small group of Italian and German states that introduced an age of consent in the 16th century also employed 12 years.

What could be considered during a part of the Medieval Period and maybe after, it still could be early as 12.

And this as well:

Central and Late Middle Ages:In Italy: numerous references to girls being married in their late teens; there are some references to girls being betrothed at 7, married at 12, and widowed by 15. There is also evidence of disapproval of such young ages (e.g., Dante wrote disapprovingly) (Herlihy, MH 103-4).
  • France: "a study based on marriage contracts from Toulouse, in southern France, in the 14th and 15th centuries, concludes that brides were typically age 16" (Herlihy 104). "In the middle 13th century, Philippe de Navarre advised that boys not be allowed to marry before completing their twentieth year, but girls could be "willingly" placed with a husband after their 14th." Erasmus wrote that "it isn't rare to see, esp among the French, a girl hardly ten years old married, and a mother at 11" (Herlihy 105).

Ike gets promoted to general for... basically because nobody in Begnion would take him seriously otherwise. Did he serve Begnion for a year? No, ergo, he shouldn't have gotten to be general of the Begnion army for that "promoted to captain or something a year or two later" as you state.

Still, there wouldn't have been any harm in Roy being just a tad older. I'd be more approving of him if he was. Sorry, but this is my opinion.

You should have just stated that it was your opinion in accordance to how you feel about his youth and left it at that rather than try to bring in facts and attempt to make a "glaring distinction" between Roy and Ike.

But like I said, I don't want this to be an argument. I just had a problem with the facts you were basing yourself on, not your opinion.

Anyways, on topic:

I want to play all the FEs as well, but whether to attempt Japanese (like I was doing with Alpha Sapphire) and lose some humor because of my poor translations or just be a wimp and do English is hard to say. I never was particularly interested in either Marth or Roy from Melee. I played FE12 and kind of like Marth there even if I find him weird to play with (Lv. 30 unpromoted Lord?) for my tastes.

I heard FE6 Hard mode without save states or RNG abuse will be... "fun."

The RNG is evil in that game. Get ready for +skill +luck levels and missing at 40%.

Oh believe me I already know from FE7 that game gave me nightmares I never dared to try hard mode. Although I did do Hector mode which was kinda fun.

Oh believe me I already know from FE7 that game gave me nightmares I never dared to try hard mode. Although I did do Hector mode which was kinda fun.

I am on the second last chapter of Hector Hard Mode, not nearly as bad as FE6 HM for sure.

I don't know I always kinda think its cool seeing kids accomplish feats aka Young Link in OoT/MM, Kid Goku in Dragonball (although he is a super powered alien), and I guess now Roy. Maybe I'll give FE6 a shot after all. I mean Ike is still a boy in PoR slightly older than Roy but not by much. The difference is that someone ate their wheaties for breakfast and someone else didn't.

Its fun when yer young, to see kid heroes. When you are my age, it wears on you.

I'm not trying to make an argument here, but I have problems with the "facts" and "big difference" you're presenting.

stuff

Yeah. *patpat*

You know, Ana, i bet you'd have kittens if you ever read A Song Of Ice And Fire. Daenerys is 13 years old when the story begins. Shes about 16 when she starts city sacking.