I've Had Enough.

The Adonis

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is canon.

Excuse me for being annoyed by this, but this cop out by fans just to make themselves feel better irks me.

The truth is actually "no one is canon unless stated by creators otherwise". "Everyone is canon" is just to not offend anyone because everyone cares too much.

There is a difference between "there is no canon in your optional choices" and "everyone's choices is some sort of canon because it makes everyone win".

you don't know what "canon" means

see thought experiment: schrodinger's chrom

"Canon" is a freaking buzzword in the FE fanbase.

And I personally dislike that trend.

I believe in the "everyone is canon" thing, but not to just make myself feel better. I want everyone to feel better and everyone to be happy. Well, making literally everyone happy obviously isn't possible, but still.

Chrom is Lucina's father.

That's canon.

I've decided to ignore shipping wars. Arguments over who the "real" protagonist of FE13 is are far more interesting.

Amen.

Honestly, I don't get why people always have to refer to FE "canon" must always be pairings.

Because it grabs people's attention more than the already obvious. Its more fun for people (some anyways) to debate their favorite pairings and find the littlist inklings of hints that might give them a .00001% chance of being right.

Because it grabs people's attention more than the already obvious. Its more fun for people (some anyways) to debate their favorite pairings and find the littlist inklings of hints that might give them a .00001% chance of being right.

The thing is, when I say "everything is canon is a cop out" is because they're "bargaining" at the chance of being right. "If your pairings are right in some alternate universe, mine are too!"

It makes them feel better than "there is nothing there for you to look for".

Edited by shadowofchaos

The thing is, when I say "everything is canon is a cop out" is because they're "bargaining" at the chance of being right. "If your pairings are right in some alternate universe, mine are too!"

It makes them feel better than "there is nothing there for you to look for".

Maybe. But when i see that phrase being thrown around its being done so sarcastically like if pairing whatever is canon everything is canon when in actuallality no one knows (so why should we care in the first place right?). As far as pairings in FEA I'm pretty sure nothing is canon (since nothing has been said by the creators or Nintendo at best maybe Chrom X Sumia but even that is iffy). While I have my prefered pairings for FEA and even some of the other games if Ninty or IS came out and said some were cannon and others were not it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. The games are still my favorite that Ninty has put out and I'll keep playing them.

That seems to be the other thing people forget about all this is that they're just games they're just meant to be enjoyed and wasting time flamming others or bashing others pairings is just time you could be using to actually play the game.

Edited by LordTaco42

That seems to be the other thing people forget about all this is that they're just games they're just meant to be enjoyed and wasting time flamming others or bashing others pairings is just time you could be using to actually play the game.

Too bad others don't have the same mindset as you. It's a game, and fighting over a video game is frankly really silly but sadly unavoidable these days.

Amen.

Honestly, I don't get why people always have to refer to FE "canon" must always be pairings.

I don't have numbers for this, but would hazard a guess that a good deal of the people getting into shipping wars were also introduced to the series by FE13- that is, they have no idea how at odds with the rest of the series canon it is, and thus can't argue much about anything that's not in Awakening even though there's plenty to argue about.

It's got nothing to do with the fact that the whole point of having a waifu is to have something to get defensive about, of course.

Lewyn!Ced is canon though. :3

Only with respect to Thracia- it was "canonized" well after the release of the game.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Shipping wars and canon wars existed in our fandom long before Awakening, mate. FE6/FE7 was rife with that shit. "Who is Roy's canon mum" was the grenade of the day. Who is Lilina's canon mum was also one. It goes on and on...

And before that, its was Jugdral.

Pffft. Fire Emblem has it easy. I'm a Digimon 01 and 02 survivor. The shipping wars in those fandoms were so rabid you couldn't say "I think these two are cute" without a hundred people jumping on you telling you you were wrong.

I'm not gonna lie: the "every pairing is canon" does feel like a cop out. It would alleviate tensions for developers to do anything about the fan shipping but not so between some fans since they'll just disregard that thought anyways.

I'm also of the opinion that people should do whatever pairing they want. Yeah, I have my preferred pairings, but I'm not going to discuss them with just anyone. Some more than others take it way too seriously.

In regards towards Chrom and Sumia, I think this: any romantic implications can be canon; the actual relationship of "OMG SUMIA IS CHROM'S OFFICIAL WIFE" not so until there's an official source showing this (and I'm not aware if there is one). It's laid on Sumia more that she likes Chrom, but Chrom seems oblivious until supports roll in. Since the developers opted not to force Chrom and Sumia together like they did with Siglud and Dierdre, game-wise, I wouldn't say it is canon. You can make it canon in your particular file but I'm unaware for FE canon if Chrom x Sumia was canonized.

Pffft. Fire Emblem has it easy. I'm a Digimon 01 and 02 survivor. The shipping wars in those fandoms were so rabid you couldn't say "I think these two are cute" without a hundred people jumping on you telling you you were wrong.

What if you said, "I think these two are cute" without specifying who you're talking about?

Seducing with pies? Olivia is the barely clothed.

why cant people just like all the characters....

Olivia is wearing no less than too many other members of the cast.

I like ChromxSumia because of Galeforce (no, getting olivia to galeforce sucks), I don't care about canon pairings at all. I like Awakening significantly less than the other FE games just because waifu things exist. It feels like, sort of superfluous despite kids being good gameplay-wise. it's too complex for me to bother optimizing pairings too, or maybe I'm just too lazy to plan things that I'm not fond of.

Edited by Gradivus.

I think Kataang (that is such a hilarious sounding word) is Katara x Aang and Zutura is Zuko x.... I have no idea.

That would be Zuko x Katara. I really have no idea where anyone got their fondness for this pairing, they had absolutely nothing going for them except when Zuko helped Katara get vengeance for the death of her mother. And by that point, we already know about the relationship between Zuko and Mai.

But I never liked Aang and Katara either. So I was never a part of those wars. I just stayed in my little corner where I could freely ship Jet x Katara despite Jet actually having gotten killed during the show. :P

Anyway, going back on topic, FE definitely isn't the only fandom that has shipping wars, as mentioned before. Avatar, Pokemon, and even The Legend of Zelda have them too. In the case of Zelda, it's mostly Link x Zelda vs Link x Malon and Link x Ilia vs Link x Midna. Pretty much just Link pairings.

Edited by Anacybele