Advice for Hard Mode

What's your Zihark looking like? Trying to make Nolan competent enough for Part 4 is a waste of effort tbh and only decreases the amount of Exp that Jill / Zihark can gain during Part 3.

I could probably get Zihark to Trueblade with Bexp abuse and Master Crown, because he's already capped speed, skill, and defense, but I'm trying to be careful with how I use Bexp.

Nolan was actually faring OK.

As for Nolan vs Edward, Nolan is just easier to use right out of the gate, so by default he's easier to make good even if Edward has more potential. In 1-4, I have Nolan tank the upper wall with an Iron forge, and he grows fast, even in HM.

Edited by Radiant head

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After this discussion I've started a HM run once and I have to disagree about the complaints against Micaiah and Edward.

The problem of Edward might be that he needs the speed early on. If he doesn't get a speed point, he won't double the enemy soldiers and fighters.

At the latest in 1-4 Edward becomes more and more useful. Attacking the laguz with the wind edge in wrath-zone is pretty awesome and with supports he can kill lots of enemies in 1-5 (all the mages including boss).

If he has HP and a defense support (Leonanrdo recommended) he can even take two hits by steel lances thanks to the removed weapon triangle.

Imo Edward is the best first tier unit, if Jill doesn't get any transfer boosts. He is indispensable for me on hard mode because of his speed. His strength is pretty good too.

Nolan is way more tedious to train on hard mode especially if his strength is lacking.

It's correct that Micaiah will be one shotted by lots of enemies in earlygame. However if she reaches around level 18 and 19 she can have the stats to survive a hit even by a steel axe. So she's actually useable in 1-9 and you can give her resolve.

Her magic has great accuracy and Thani is an awesome tome in part 1.

Personally, I'd think Edward's a questionable enough prospect as things are, but you're also recommending another subpar unit for support purposes???

Edited by Levant Caprice

Personally, I'd think Edward's a questionable enough prospect as things are, but you're also recommending another subpar unit for support purposes???

An A-support gives both units +3 in defense, which is pretty nice for Eddy to take more than one hit in some cases.

Lughnasadh saves Leonardo. It is the only real reason, why I use him. If he has at least 15 speed he can double the tigers in part 3.

Edited by The Taninator

For me, the Takksh/Aqqar ended up being more useful on Leo than the Lughsadh, because it doesn't rely on Leo's crappy stats. If the Arbalest was available earlier, Leo would be redeemed.

Edited by Radiant head

Your Nolan sucks lol.

My Leo was so bad that he gets doubled and killed no matter what, or else yeah the Lungh is ideal.

I had him guarding one of the ledges in 3-13, where the Hawks try to get clever and assault you, so the crossbow was basically protection.

Edited by Radiant head

Your Nolan sucks lol.

My Leo was so bad that he gets doubled and killed no matter what, or else yeah the Lungh is ideal.

I had him guarding one of the ledges in 3-13, where the Hawks try to get clever and assault you, so the crossbow was basically protection.

Leonardo (level 16)

HP: 24

Str: 15

Mag: 2

Skill: 20

Spd: 14

Lck: 12

Def: 10

Res: 10

Nolan (level 19)

HP: 34

Str: 14

Mag: 2

Skill: 19

Spd: 17

Luck: 12

Def: 11

Res: 10

Yeah I'm impressed you managed to train Leo like that. I found him almost unusable. Did you forge a bow in P1?

This is what I'm planning for Endgame:

Ike - Ragnell / Mia - Alondite

Micaiah - Rexaura / Sanaki - Rexflame

Sothe - Matrona

Kurth / Ena

Elincia - Amiti / Marcia - Wishblade

Shinon - Double Bow / Volke - Baselard + Peshkatz

Jill - Urvan / Haar - Brave Axe

Nolan - Tarvos? / Zihark - Vague Katti (not sure if I'm going to use either of them, though)

Reyson - Laguz Gem

I think I have one more slot, so I'll probably add Titania in there. I wanted to add Oscar b/c of Earth affinity, but his speed cap is meh and his strength is bad. Is Renning any good? Going by the rate the unit threads, people here generally hate late arrivers, but I like using Caineghis and Volke, so I'm open to him.

Edited by Radiant head

Yeah I'm impressed you managed to train Leo like that. I found him almost unusable. Did you forge a bow in P1?

Sothe - Matrona

Kurth / Ena

Nolan - Tarvos? / Zihark - Vague Katti (not sure if I'm going to use either of them, though)

Reyson - Laguz Gem

I think I have one more slot, so I'll probably add Titania in there. I wanted to add Oscar b/c of Earth affinity, but his speed cap is meh and his strength is bad. Is Renning any good? Going by the rate the unit threads, people here generally hate late arrivers, but I like using Caineghis and Volke, so I'm open to him.

No, I never ever have forged a bow yet. The support with Edward gives him + 2 atttack. He could even double a few enemies (a few pegasus knights in 1-6-1 and axe cavaliers in 1-6-2).

I forged two iron axes for Nolan and Jill and in 1-E a steel axe for Jill and a steel sword for Zihark.

Tarvos is good, but a forged silver axe guarantees +2 might and +5 hit than Tarvos has. If you're lucky, the weapon will get a nice boost.

A forged silver weapon is even almost as powerful as a brave axe and has much better hitrate.

You're dropping Sothe, don't you? I never EVER used him in part 4 and endgame on hard mode.

Rafiel is more useful than Reyson, because he can always refresh four units (means in turn one already). Only make sure than no one can attack him.

Training Kurthnaga on hard mode is almost impossible, because even all the generals (>= 24 AS) will double him. So if you really want to use him, he needs desperately resolve.

I highly recommend to bring Nasir and both red dragons to the map against Ashera.

Edited by The Taninator

Tarvos is good, but a forged silver axe guarantees +2 might and +5 hit than Tarvos has. If you're lucky, the weapon will get a nice boost.

A forged silver weapon is even almost as powerful as a brave axe and has much better hitrate.

I figured a forged Silver is better. I just thought Tarvos would save the money and effort, but it's not like I don't have money for Endgame preparations where you can sell almost everything. Or I might give Nolan the Urvan, and Jill the forge, just because Jill is naturally better and it balances things.

You're dropping Sothe, don't you? I never EVER used him in part 4 and endgame on hard mode.

That was the joke by listing him with Matrona. Volke will have two blessed knives.

Rafiel is more useful than Reyson, because he can always refresh four units (means in turn one already). Only make sure than no one can attack him.

Yeah but I don't see why I would need to use Reyson on the first turn anyway, and I prefer his movement. Though I guess Celerity would help Rafiel.

Training Kurthnaga on hard mode is almost impossible, because even all the generals (>= 24 AS) will double him. So if you really want to use him, he needs desperately resolve.

I basically only use him for the Black Tide, and tanking in Part 3. Part 2 I don't even deploy him.

I highly recommend to bring Nasir and both red dragons to the map against Ashera.

I usually drop Ena and Gareth, but Nasir's White tide is a godsend against the auras. Plus he can actually survive getting doubled by Ashera.
Edited by Radiant head

I figured a forged Silver is better. I just thought Tarvos would save the money and effort, but it's not like I don't have money for Endgame preparations where you can sell almost everything. Or I might give Nolan the Urvan, and Jill the forge, just because Jill is naturally better and it balances things.

Hmm... it doesn't matter. A forged silver axe has (I think) 5 more hitrate than Urvan so I'd give this to the unit with the worse skill stat.

Yeah but I don't see why I would need to use Reyson on the first turn anyway, and I prefer his movement. Though I guess Celerity would help Rafiel.

In E-1 Rafiel is very useful to take out all the annyoing stuff in turn one (double bow sniper, blizzard and bolting sages and bishop with sleep).

To reach the bishop you'll most likely need pass.

In the other endgame chapters Reyson is fine, because you can beat them all in 1-2 turns.

Edited by The Taninator

I could probably get Zihark to Trueblade with Bexp abuse and Master Crown, because he's already capped speed, skill, and defense, but I'm trying to be careful with how I use Bexp.

Part 4 has a lot of Exp to offer and unless you have any unit badly lagging behind that you really wanna use in Endgame for some reason then you shouldn't hesitate to Bexp nuke Zihark, especially if he already capped 3 stats. Vague Katti!Zihark is probably a better Endgame unit than anybody else you don't have in your party yet.

Sothe - Matrona

Kurth / Ena

Reyson - Laguz Gem

Definitely bring Rafiel along instead of Reyson.

An A-support gives both units +3 in defense, which is pretty nice for Eddy to take more than one hit in some cases.

Lughnasadh saves Leonardo. It is the only real reason, why I use him. If he has at least 15 speed he can double the tigers in part 3.

Ehh, in general, I don't consider it a good thing if I need to use another subpar unit for the sake of supporting a subpar one...

Sothe - Matrona

Kurth / Ena

Reyson - Laguz Gem

I wouldn't really use the RTUs for judging...

I always felt Ena was enough for Blood Tide, personally...

The only lagging character I would have liked to use is Boyd, but I decided to go with Nolan because he already has Zihark support, and I put tons of effort into making him work. I think Paragon + Elincia feeding kills via Mercy + Bexp abuse should whip him into shape for endgame.

I wouldn't really use the RTUs for judging...

Yeah I read them out of curiosity, but I find most people's posts don't match my experience at all. They said Marcia is mediocre, when she's been amazing for me.

Edited by Radiant head

Endgame will be a bit easier with Laguz royals (Tibarn, Caineghis, Giffca, Naesala, Nailah in that order more or less), but if you want to use beorc instead that's fine as long as they're adequately leveled.

I usually drop Ena and Gareth, but Nasir's White tide is a godsend against the auras. Plus he can actually survive getting doubled by Ashera.

You should try to beat Ashera in two turns (which is very possible by using the dragons correctly) so that she cannot use her single magic / physical attack.

And so far as I know Ashera won't attack any units, who didn't attack an aura. That means if Ena or Gareth haven't attacked an aura, they should be fine.

Ehh, in general, I don't consider it a good thing if I need to use another subpar unit for the sake of supporting a subpar one...

I always felt Ena was enough for Blood Tide, personally...

Leonardo can do some stuff in part 1, if you give him a chance. I never had any problems to train him on hard mode even if his speed and strength are below average. A range weapon user is quite nice for the DB and Lugnasadh improves him a lot.

You don't need to bring both red dragons to beat Ashera in two turns.

However I like to bring Ena and Gareth to the final map, because Sothe (except he's really well trained) and Kurthnaga aren't needed at all.

I still try to beat Ashera in one turn. Only have made it so far to destroy all the auras in turn one.

Edited by The Taninator

i'm pretty sure you need some triangle attacks to 1-turn ashera.

Yeah I think so. Couldn't really use the triangle attack effectively, because the spaces are all blocked already.

Speaking of triangles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a1O2F0WgEA

Ashera beaten in the first turn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnLLCZRTfOo&index=10&list=PL5DC5DA7A7D8F622F

This person did more crazy FE10 stuff on his channel.

However I don't orientate myself towards this video. I try to beat her in the first turn in a different way.

Edited by The Taninator

You should try to beat Ashera in two turns (which is very possible by using the dragons correctly) so that she cannot use her single magic / physical attack.

Is that possible? I think I have 4 Nihils and 2 Parities, so I guess I have to try to use those as efficiently as possible.

Triangle attack is a godsend in NM. I think Rolf can do more damage to Dheginsea than anyone outside of Caineghis, and the three brothers can actually OHKO Lehran without touching a spirit.

Edited by Radiant head

I think the problem in HM with the triangle attack is raising Rolf outside of a massive bexp dump.

You;d want transfers for all 3 brothers, a wing for boyd, forges for rofl and oscar, etc.

and the Silver Knight spd cap too :/

Is that possible? I think I have 4 Nihils and 2 Parities, so I guess I have to try to use those as efficiently as possible.

Triangle attack is a godsend in NM. I think Rolf can do more damage to Dheginsea than anyone outside of Caineghis, and the three brothers can actually OHKO Lehran without touching a spirit.

Of course, it's possible.

Caineghis can 1RKO an inside aura with bloodtide. Same goes for Elincia with whitepool and 2x bloodtide.

Yeah Rolf with a triangle attack would do more damage. The calculation with +2 attack support and bloodtide.

Rolf: (3 x 18 + 18 = 72)

Caineghis (2x 26 = 52) (calculated a +1 attack support, because to build an A-support is almost impossible after two maps).

Rolf even can 1RKO BK. (3 x 23 + 23 = 92)

Edited by The Taninator

Leonardo can do some stuff in part 1, if you give him a chance. I never had any problems to train him on hard mode even if his speed and strength are below average. A range weapon user is quite nice for the DB and Lugnasadh improves him a lot.

You don't need to bring both red dragons to beat Ashera in two turns.

However I like to bring Ena and Gareth to the final map, because Sothe (except he's really well trained) and Kurthnaga aren't needed at all.

I still try to beat Ashera in one turn. Only have made it so far to destroy all the auras in turn one.

I actually use Leonardo - Edward, otoh, not so much.

Ehhh, personally, my viewpoint is that given that Ena can do the same thing that Gareth can, only I don't have to worry about her dying, I don't see much reason to bring him along.

Edited by Levant Caprice