Who could Ike's wife be?

What's the reason Aether can only be used by women and Chrom?

Why is Priam not allowed to have it? Why does Chrom have Ike's skill and Ike's "descendant" doesn't?

Chrom is a lord.

Priam is not.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They only inherit Aether from Chrom. Priam doesn't have the option to inherit anything from anyone. Also, note that he has Luna and Sol even though he cannot reclass to Great Knight which naturally learns the former. Thus, IS gave it to him along with Sol to show that he knows Aether story-wise or is at least working on mastering it.

Yeah, Ike also had to work towards it, at least in PoR. Chrom did as well. Inheriting skills is just a gameplay thing, it's not like a kid is born knowing Aether. The parents likely taught them these skills when they trained them to fight. Not all of Ike's descendants have to be skilled sword wielders either, Priam might have had to get information from his parents and then start training himself rather than learn the skill from one of his parents.

Edited by Anacybele

Lucina is a hermaphrodite? In any case, even if Priam!Morgan had Aether the "Chrom's sons don't get Aether" rule would still hold.

Because catering to people with an amnesiac fetish was all they cared about.

If that was the case why would they stop Chrom from passing down Aether to M!Morgan? It's very clear they didn't want males other than Chrom to have it. Lucina only has RK because of her class.

Robin can support everyone except the people he can't support. That's true of every character in the game. Can they marry spotpass characters?

The legacy characters don't count because they aren't involved in the story in some capacity (that is, they don't have Paralogues). Therefore, they don't void the rule that Robin can support with every (story-relevant) character.

You said before "They wanted to lock Male!Morgan out of Aether". Why could you speak for IS before, but not now?

Don't put words in my mouth. Deducting what they wanted gameplay-wise is one thing. Guessing why they wanted to do it is another entirely different one. I can easily deduct they wanted only the females to have Aether, since no male other than Chrom has it, but your question was different: you asked WHY IntSys wanted only the females to have it. This could have multiple answers and the best thing would be to ask IntSys themselves.

Also, considering that the spotpass characters can marry Robin and have dlc conversations they are very much canon.

I don't see how that validates it as canon? You can recruit dead bosses in creature campaign in FE8 as well, that shit is totally not canon.

Did Ike/Chrom work for Aether?

Don't put words in my mouth. Deducting what they wanted gameplay-wise is one thing. Guessing why they wanted to do it is another entirely different one. I can easily deduct they wanted only the females to have Aether, since no male other than Chrom has it, but your question was different: you asked WHY IntSys wanted only the females to have it. This could have multiple answers and the best thing would be to ask IntSys themselves.

That was a direct quote. If you can deduce they wanted to do something you must have some evidence of their intent. Besides, if the best explanation is that the developers wanted it that way, and you can't think of a reason why, you can't blame me for not being convinced.

Did Ike/Chrom work for Aether?

Chrom learns Aether at level 5 Great Lord. Technically, he works for it.

That was a direct quote. If you can deduce they wanted to do something you must have some evidence of their intent. Besides, if the best explanation is that the developers wanted it that way, and you can't think of a reason why, you can't blame me for not being convinced.

Bullshit. You really don't understand.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that males only inherit RK and females only inherit Aether? (Lucina is excluded since she gets RK by class so it makes no difference)

Edited by Cerberus87

Lucina is a hermaphrodite? In any case, even if Priam!Morgan had Aether the "Chrom's sons don't get Aether" rule would still hold

Nope, Lucina's the only one of Chrom's kids that can class into Lord. Those skills are tied to that class, and because of IS-magic, anyone who inherits things from a parent who can class into Lord is stuck in the Aether/Rightful King bind.

I'd say that I wouldn't call specific various characters from previous games "generic", but that's that pedantry thing I'm not supposed to do, right?

Anyway, that explanation doesn't prove Priam's canonicity (sic).

You don't win people over by slicing hairs. ;/

It seems like each of the legacy Spotpass characters is a variant of an Avatar, except that their menu mug is from their official art. Since Robin can't marry foreign avatars, it stands to reason that he/she can't marry Spotpass characters. The bonus characters who have their own chapter have custom faces, IIRC, which differentiates them from the Spotpass ones.

Are Kjelle and Cynthia lords?

NO.

I don't see how that validates it as canon? You can recruit dead bosses in creature campaign in FE8 as well, that shit is totally not canon.

You can also use Ashnard in PoR. Thing is, you have access to them in a mode completely separate from the main game itself. Unlike Aversa and Gangrel who can literally participate in the battle against Grima, have character endings and Avatar supports and participate in the DLCs. All without having to beat the game.

Edited by Ownagepuffs

Do you really think it's a coincidence that males only inherit RK and females only inherit Aether? (Lucina is excluded since she gets RK by class so it makes no difference)

Possibly. Lucina proves inheritance isn't based solely on gender.

Gameplay mechanics aren't the be-all and end-all. I could use gameplay mechanics to claim Chrom!Inigo cannot use Falchion, but that would contradict his Lucina support.

@Ownage/Irysa; Boron did bring up something before

The problem with Priam is that the location of his map and the availability of his paralogue really fuck things over in Awakening. Because if he's canon then you're suggesting that the Shepherds were at the base of Origin Peak, ready to face off with Grima and Naga prepared to teleport them onto his back. And then someone says, "Oh, wait, we should randomly go to the other side of Valm for some reason, I don't know, I have a good feeling about it!"

And then they leave. While Grima is right there. Which gives him more time to raze the fuck out of everything while the Shepherds are on their merry way to recruit Priam without giving a fuck about the giant evil dragon that is right there. If Priam was recruitable during the main story arc while in Valm, he wouldn't mess up the story line so much but as a paralogue character … NOPE.

Edited by Baldrick

You can also use Ashnard in PoR. Thing is, you have access to them in a mode completely separate from the main game itself. Unlike Aversa and Gangrel who can literally participate in the battle against Grima, have character endings and Avatar supports and participate in the DLCs. All without having to beat the game.

I'd argue that that's just a side effect of how Awakening doesn't go into a proper "Postgame" like FE8 does with the creature campaign. If it had a mode like that AND they appeared in the main game, I'd agree, but there's just no equivilant. I mean, we recognise that the stuff that goes in other paralogues isn't really strictly canon either since it's not like Chrom and crew actually had the ability to go trek to the other side of the continent to recruit Anna after splat occurs, before coming back and then going through a hurried escape from Plegia <_<

Edited by Irysa

I'd argue that that's just a side effect of how Awakening doesn't go into a proper "Postgame" like FE8 does with the creature campaign. If it had a mode like that AND they appeared in the main game, I'd agree, but there's just no equivilant. I mean, we recognise that the stuff that goes in other paralogues isn't really strictly canon either since it's not like Chrom and crew actually had the ability to go trek to the other side of the continent to recruit Anna after splat occurs, before coming back and then going through a hurried escape from Plegia <_<

This is common in any game that's open-ended. I recently played Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and I was in a rescue mission. Instead of doing the rescue, I went to a Borgia tower first, took it down, then did some other side mission I don't remember and finally arrived at the rescue. Unrealistic? Yes. But IMO it's better to have freedom in games.

It isn't a question of whether it's better. It's about what we consider to be actually canon, and I know that that distinctly clashes with the actual narrative of the game so it can't be canon, cause main story chapters carry more narrative weight than the paralogues do.

Your AC:B example is a stretch but possible, but recruiting Anna before escaping Plegia is simply incompatible entirely in terms of the plot.

Edited by Irysa

Making Anna recruitable earlier would clash more with the narrative, but apparently making Priam recruitable earlier would clash less with the narrative.

It's related to the topic at hand, so I don't see a need to stop.

Are you having such a good time, are you having a ball?

Edited by Baldrick

Assuming the paralogues are canon, I'm sure they fall in line with the earliest they are unlocked. Like plot wise, I'm sure paralogue 1 takes place around the same time as C4, even if you do it at C25. It would also kind of make either every paralogue canon or non canon with no in between.

Also Awakening does have a post game, it's just that the post game is dlc. Kind of sucks. But yeah, the challenge pack maps like Roster Rescue and Five Anna Firefight are definitely sort of like FE6/FE9 trial maps. Given the strength of the enemies in those maps, one could assume that they were intended to be beaten with an endgame team.

I've probably done too much rambling about FE13 in the Tellius boards so I'll keep it at that.

There isn't a separate MODE for the postgame though. That's my point. I'd accept "everything that happens in the main game is canon" if it wasn't a fact that the game only actually has a main game. And the Anna recruiting Paralogue opens up as soon as splat happens, right after it in fact. There is no way the timing for that is canon. And once we can call the canonicity of Paralogues into repute, then we can start calling the extra spotpass maps into repute for being canon or not.

Edited by Irysa

There isn't a separate MODE for the postgame though. That's my point. I'd accept "everything that happens in the main game is canon" if it wasn't a fact that the game only actually has a main game. And the Anna recruiting Paralogue opens up as soon as splat happens, right after it in fact. There is no way the timing for that is canon. And once we can call the canonicity of Paralogues into repute, then we can start calling the extra spotpass maps into repute for being canon or not.

That was one of my biggest disappointments with the game. Everyone kept babbling "postgame this, postgame that", then when I beat Grima and found out the only thing I could do afterwards is reload the latest save, I was a bit sad, because it wasn't really a "postgame" the way we've been taught.

Honestly companies really need to focus more on the postgame. It's really frustrating to go out and beat a game only to find that the end is little more than running around and beating a ton of easy sidequests, mindless grinding for an overly-complicated sidequest (I HATE YOU BLITZBALL!!!!!!!!!)/optional boss, or just... nothing. In Dark Cloud 2 there was a whole other dungeon, still plenty of sidequests left to do, inventions to discover, and the like. Sure, it wasn't on-par with, say, Chono Trigger, but compare that with 'game over, book ends' and I'd gladly take the former; especially since the latter forces me to stop story progression and run around wildly completing stuff for a 100% complete instead of letting me handle it afterwards.

Maybe it's because I'm used to JRPGs, but I don't mind the end of the narrative being the end of the journey, with nothing to do afterwards but get jacked and a little bonus dungeon/boss. The games that tend to be the most fun to explore are sandbox-types that focus on worldbuilding over plot.

I'm surprised as it's usually JRPG's that provide the alternative quests and post-game content. Other games tend to, at most, just provide collectables or the ability to replay missions in terms of post-game content that isn't multiplayer. Yet one can then look to something like Hyperdimensional Neptunia with it's NG+ or the iconic Chrono Trigger for examples of post-game content done right.

Well... I know some people hate HDN, but which would you rather have? A full-on NG+ mode with various methods to tweak and alter things, or one bonus dungeon?

Edit: OOOO! Don't forget the Tales series!

Edited by Snowy_One

I haven't played Hyperdimensional Neptune, but isn't Chrono Trigger's New Game+ more Replay Value than Postgame? IIRC the only new content is different endings if you beat Lavos at different points in the game. To try and bring this back to a FE context, it's the difference between the Link Arena and Hector's Mode in FE7. While the former may be bare-bones and HHM is the more comprehensive feature, it has a different feel to it.

Edited by Baldrick

I haven't played Hyperdimensional Neptune, but isn't Chrono Trigger's New Game+ more Replay Value than Postgame? IIRC the only new content is different endings if you beat Lavos at different points in the game.

You know, this would have been an awesome thing to include in FE13: A New Game+ that starts the game with all your characters at the stats they were when you beat it the first time, and Grima is accessible on the map from the get-go. Depending at which point in the game you defeat Grima, you get different endings, some of which could be What If scenarios (Defeat Grima before Emmeryn dies) or a bunch of silly endings (like Chrom marrying Cordelia or something).